2 of 2
is the Bible indecent? HK officials have 208 complaints sa
Posted: 17 May 2007 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

And the first refusal is in…I am hoping for an appeal…we shall see.

The city’s media watchdog yesterday rejected more than 2,000 complaints against the Bible, saying it was part of human civilisation and its contents were not offensive to reasonable members of the community.

In a statement issued last night, the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority said: “The Bible is a religious text which is part of civilisation. It has been passed on from generation to generation.

“Tela considers that such longstanding religious texts or literature have not violated standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable members of the community.

“Therefore, Tela will not submit the Bible to the Obscene Articles Tribunal for classification.”

More than 2,000 indecency complaints were sent to the authority at the prompting of an anonymous website - http://www.truthbible.net - which was upset that sex columns and a survey published by the Chinese University’s Student Press were ruled indecent by the Obscene Articles Tribunal.

http://hongkong.scmp.com/hknews/ZZZ0BAQXH1F.html

Full story for free at The Standard

I think claiming the bible is somehow a part of (as opposed to, opposed to) civilisation is a stretch; but apparently if you have been obscene for generations it is no longer offensive.

Posted: 17 May 2007 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

So, is that what they mean when they say, “Children should be obscene and not absurd”?  LOL

Occam

Posted: 17 May 2007 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh that is really getting rediculous. OK let’s all open our Bibles and turn to Song of Solomon so we can read some HOLY SMUT!  Oh yeah!  Can I get an amen?

In Song of Solomin 4 verse 3 we have his description of her temples being like pomegrants and verse 5 her two breasts being like fawns, twins of a gazille, which feed among the lilies?  Oh gets better, my brethern! Solomon 5:14-16 His hands are like rods of gold set with beryl. His body is carved ivory Inlaid with sapphires. His legs are pillars of marble Set on bases of find gold. His countenance is like Lebanon. Excellent cedars. His mouth is most sweet, Yes, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved. It repeats the thing about her breasts in 7:3 and in 7:8 they are like clusters of a vine, the frangrance of your breathe like apples, and in 7:9 “The roof of your mouth like the best wine.”  LOL  Hallelua!  Sounds a bit like a Jackie Collins novel. Shall we read more of the HOLY smut? It can’t get any hotter than the roof of her mouth tasting like wine, folks, and his body like ivory and his legs like pillars.  LOL

They’ve got to be kidding!  They seem more stuck up about sex then the U.S. is. I think Solomon was the raciest thing going in the Bible.

OK I don’t want to talk about the violence in the Bible.  Solomon is better than the babies thrown against rocks and bears killing children.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 May 2007 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

There is allegedly an appeal being made to the Ombudsman (Hong Kong Internal Government Watchdog).

http://hongkong.scmp.com/hknews/ZZZ3QZE0I1F.html

The anonymous website that prompted an avalanche of complaints about indecent material in the Bible vowed yesterday to take its case to the ombudsman after the standards watchdog decided not to pursue the complaints.

Truthbible.net yesterday carried a message calling on the public to write to the Office of the Ombudsman to ask for an investigation into the Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority over its apparent inconsistent application of standards.

“I very much agree that the Bible is a religious text, [and that] Catholicism and Christianity are a part of human development, but this certainly does not mean Bible content about abnormal sex and violence are in keeping with the moral standards of normal Hongkongers,” it said.

<snip>

Truthbible.net contrasted this decision with previous Tela rulings, including finding Michelangelo’s statue of David indecent.

<snip>

A Tela spokesman said that by 5pm yesterday the authority had received 2,307 complaints citing indecent and offensive passages in the Bible since the campaign began. It is the largest number received about a single publication since last August, when about 2,800 people complained about Easyfinder magazine’s cover photograph of pop star Gillian Chung Yan-tung changing her clothes backstage. The authority has received 225 complaints about the sex survey in the Chinese University Student Post.

Posted: 19 May 2007 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-04-18

So I have decided to join the fray.

Our government was widely quoted in our press as saying:

Meanwhile, Secretary for Commerce, Industry and Technology Joseph Wong Wing-ping has appealed to the public not to submit to Tela material that was clearly not obscene or indecent to most people. He said Tela would not deal with the obviously “senseless” complaints received against the Bible. “The authority will not deal with the complaints which the majority of the society would consider senseless and just pranks,” he said.

I have a pretty good standing as letter contributor to SCMP with almost all submissions published, so I have submitted the following, see if it gets in.

Secretary for Commerce, Industry and Technology Joseph Wong Wing-ping, has demonstrated just how broken our undemocratic and all too bureaucratic government really is.

His statement that TELA alone can and will decide what constitutes a reasonable complaint, and that it will ignore all complaints that do not fit its preordained model; are the very essence of confirmation bias, and government censorship of the people, against the people. Thus a few hundred complaints agreed by TELA will generate aggressive censorship, while over 2000 will be summarily dismissed because the complaints offend the alleged Christian sensibility of the bureaucrat (it is interesting to note that only about 10% of us claim to be Christian).

We have been given a look behind the curtain and the wizard of our fair city is apparently a bumbling incompetent who ignores the clear call of the people all the while claiming to know what the majority of society really wants.

Posted: 19 May 2007 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh that is really getting rediculous. OK let’s all open our Bibles and turn to Song of Solomon so we can read some HOLY SMUT!  Oh yeah!  Can I get an amen?

In Song of Solomin 4 verse 3 we have his description of her temples being like pomegrants and verse 5 her two breasts being like fawns, twins of a gazille, which feed among the lilies?  Oh gets better, my brethern! Solomon 5:14-16 His hands are like rods of gold set with beryl. His body is carved ivory Inlaid with sapphires. His legs are pillars of marble Set on bases of find gold. His countenance is like Lebanon. Excellent cedars. His mouth is most sweet, Yes, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved. It repeats the thing about her breasts in 7:3 and in 7:8 they are like clusters of a vine, the frangrance of your breathe like apples, and in 7:9 “The roof of your mouth like the best wine.”  LOL  Hallelua!  Sounds a bit like a Jackie Collins novel. Shall we read more of the HOLY smut? It can’t get any hotter than the roof of her mouth tasting like wine, folks, and his body like ivory and his legs like pillars.  LOL

They’ve got to be kidding!  They seem more stuck up about sex then the U.S. is. I think Solomon was the raciest thing going in the Bible, personally and certainly more tolerable.

OK I don’t want to talk about the violence in the Bible.  Solomon is better than the babies thrown against rocks and bears killing children.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

2 of 2

‹‹ "Scientology & Me"      Hitchens vs. Olasky ››