Career Choices
Posted: 16 May 2007 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

Hey guys.

As some of you know, I recently graduated from college. I now have a bachelor’s degree in English (creative composition emphasis), and am currently searching for a job. Unfortunately, the market is kind of fickle for a entry-level grad. I’m searching in nonprofit, publishing, and marketing.

The one place i haven’t looked is in the anti-religion sector. Anyhoo, I wanted some recommendations for jobs involved with humanism or pro-science campaigns. Anyone got any connections/ideas?

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I wouldn’t mind some ideas involved with Humanism either, since I’m writer too looking for something in that field also.  Sorry, to seem like a competitor. I don’t mean to, Jaik, but I want to do something in writing too.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I understand your desires, but from what happened to me and a number of people I know, something unexpected often happens.  While you think your education was specialized in an area you love, it also gave you a great deal of much wider background.  Most of us start out in jobs that match our degrees, but surprisingly quickly odd changes and unpredictable opportunities occur in fields that seem to have little to do with our training.

Many years ago I met a neighbor who was a very successful chemical salesman.  After talking chemistry a few times, we shifted to mathematics, religion, ethics, and politics.  I then found that his degrees were not in chemistry but in philosophy and mathematics.  He took the sales job temporarily to pay the bills, but did so well that he couldn’t leave.  And he said he found enough of the technical people he dealt with intellectually challenging that he could enjoy his work greatly.

So, aim for English, writing, and psychology, but don’t pass up other opportunities.

Occam

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

I second what Occam said. I majored in biology and English lit (comparative Medieval/Renaissance) and wandered through teaching English Comp, studying primates, and a bunch of entirely unrelated jobs (not to mention another 6 years of graduate school) before ending up as a vet. You might be surprised where you end up finding meaning and fulfillment.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 16 May 2007 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I love writing too much not to find something that I write. My first degree was in Psychology, but I got burnt out in that field.  I have found writing to be my passion, where as every other job in my life, I never enjoyed.  In the second half of my life, I want a job I enjoy, not something I dread going to every day.  So, I’m being a bit stubborn about this. Not that I won’t do something to pay the bills, but I won’t be satisfied until I get in a job I love.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Mriana, I love writing, too, and I write for the shear pleasure of it.  Although my job didn’t require it, I learned that a vice-president of the corporation I worked for tacked the name, “Silver Quill” on me because I had white hair, and loved writing long memos pointing out the stupidity (gently) of executive policies.  Surprisingly, most of them got modified after my memos.  So, even if you get a job that isn’t directly involved in writing, you may find that you can make it a major part of the work.

Occam

Posted: 16 May 2007 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

That is a good question though…

What would one have to do to write for Skeptical Inquirer, eh?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 17 May 2007 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“logicisrefreshing”]What would one have to do to write for Skeptical Inquirer, eh?

Well, they accept papers from anyone, so that’s no problem ... although they don’t pay anything for them so I wouldn’t counsel making a career of it.

:wink:

OTOH if you want employment at CFI you could keep checking back at their employment page. Nothing appears available right now.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 May 2007 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

It gets your name out there though and whatever you do get published counts towards a writing career that does pay.  So, I would not discredit it.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 17 May 2007 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-10-22
[quote author=“dougsmith”]Well, they accept papers from anyone,

While many of their papers are quite worthwhile, some of them show that they accept papers from anyone (and often, of any quality). LOL

Occam

Posted: 17 May 2007 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

My degree is in biology, and my career is a software developer. Initially as a programmer, now as a Business Analyst and Project Manager.

I hate to say it, but if I were you I would not get a job in the anti-religion field.

The problem is that this field doesn’t pay much first of all, and secondly it could make getting a different job more difficult. That is unfortunate, but true.

If your only job on your resume is from CFI or FFRF, etc., then that might make getting a job at a school difficult, even if it is not supposed to, or anywhere really.

As for writing articles, the market is growing progressively worse due to the Internet. Be prepared to do a lot of writing for free before getting a paying job at it, and then be prepared to get paid pennies on the hour basically.

Do you know any foreign languages? It could help if you knew Chinese, Spanish, German, Japanese, or Russian. That could make getting teachings jobs much easier, teaching English as a foreign language classes, doing translations, or teaching in a multi-lingual setting, etc.

Do you belong to any professional organizations? Do you have a blog?

If you want to write having a blog now is a good idea, one that is geared toward a popular audience, not religion bashing, etc., but one you can present as a portfolio of work to an employer.

I think that a lot of what people do with your degree is start out in editing, proof reading, etc. Be prepared to proof read math textbooks, etc.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net