2 of 3
New Forum Teething Problems
Posted: 21 May 2007 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

If I turn it off, I’ll forget to drop in here.  :(  I’ve done that on others boards and I forgot they existed until someone contacted me and asked where I’ve been lately.  :?

How come the smilies aren’t working?  :?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 May 2007 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 21 May 2007 10:54 AM

How come the smilies aren’t working?  :?

Aren’t they? Are you sure you have the box “Enable smileys in this post” clicked?

Also remember that the smileys for the new software may be slightly different than for the old software. To get the list, click on the blue “Smileys” word to the left of the message box.

cool smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 May 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I can’t find it in my control panel, but yes it is check below the New Reply box, so I don’t get it.  :(  I don’t see smilies on the left either.

They just are not working for me.  *Bangs head here* downer  OK we’ll try it with the smilie box and see what happens.  rolleyes

OK that worked.  I guess the standard :( doesn’t apply here now.

[ Edited: 21 May 2007 11:09 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 May 2007 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

The word “smileys” is off to the left, and it is a link to a selection of them you can insert in your post.

How could you forget about us? :-(

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I looked over the whole site including my profile to find the smileys word to check out and couldn’t find it.  I didn’t realize that it was only visible when one is writing a post.

Yeah, Mriana, I didn’t even realize there were cats in your avatar until you mentioned it and I looked very closely.

And, what’s the difference between “fast response” and “post response”?

Oh, does Characters showing 11493 mean I am allowed that many more characters in my post or is it just for information?

Occam

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam - 21 May 2007 05:29 PM

I looked over the whole site including my profile to find the smileys word to check out and couldn’t find it.  I didn’t realize that it was only visible when one is writing a post.

I never found it there either.  :(

Occam - 21 May 2007 05:29 PM

Yeah, Mriana, I didn’t even realize there were cats in your avatar until you mentioned it and I looked very closely.

I’m wondering what happened during the upload process.

That’s rediculous.  I tried to upload a new one and I keep ending up with the same one only a different size.  So, I tried removing the old one and uploaded from scratch.  Well, guess what?  It’s not the new one I uploaded, but the size of the new one instead.  rolleyes

Oh there she is!  Finally!  LOL

[ Edited: 23 May 2007 12:13 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 24 May 2007 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21

Missing post problem fixed.

Posted: 25 May 2007 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

OK, I know this topic is “sticky” but why is the little golden square to the left indicating unread posts also sticky?  This is the third time I’ve checked this topic with no new posts, but the square doesn’t turn to tan.

Occam

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ve been wondering that too.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I just found another difference.  When one was writing a response in the old program, one could scroll down to read the other posts to assure accuracy in what one was writing.  Now, we can’t see the foregoing posts while we are writing our response.  This is a definite disability in the new system, and I hope it can be fixed.

Occam

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Yeah, that bugs me too.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 25 May 2007 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I second that too.  It makes it frustrating to post then edit because you realized there was something else you wanted to reply to, but don’t want to double post either.  So, you have to go back to re-read what was said, copy, click the edit button, and paste to quote what you wanted to reply to in someone elses post.  This leaves the edit note of course, but I’m less concerned with that than I am of going back and forth to collect quotes of what I am referring to if they are in different posts.  If one post, I can just hit the quote button and go from there.  Still it’s not the same.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Agreed, Occam, though that might well be something that isn’t fixable ... Thomas would know.

Re. the color of the icon, I think the problem here is that the “sticky” icon is yellow, like a post-it note. Problem is that yellow is also the color of unread threads. So it’s liable to confusion.

Might be good to get a different color for “unread” threads.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 May 2007 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I know this is really nitpicking, and it probably doesn’t even apply to those who have new fangled DSL or cable connections, but with dial-up the time after clicking on Smileys until they actually show up so we can select one is interminable.  There is a nice, large gray space in the block to the left that says Message and Smileys.  How about asking the programmers who wrote this to display the smileys there instead of as a separate file that has to be accessed?  That way, we could just click on them quickly, then get on with our posts.

Occam

Posted: 19 June 2007 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Another user-unfriendly glitch:  A new member sent me a PM asking if I was the same person she remembered from another forum.  I responded in a PM that I was, then tried to send her a confirming e-mail.  I wrote a short message then clicked on send.  At that point it disappeared and I was informed that I had to enter a subject.  I did so, but MY MESSAGE HAD BEEN ERASED.  So I had to write it again.  How about just asking for the subject WITHOUT erasing the message. 

And by the way, “Your message has been successfully sent” is a split infinitive.  It should have been, “Your message has been sent successfully.”

Occam

2 of 3

‹‹ Books      Question to Doug ››