RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Occam,

So how do you feel about “To go boldly where no man has gone before?”  wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 19 June 2007 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
mckenzievmd - 19 June 2007 09:04 PM

Occam,

Aha, we have more than one W-A here.  :grin:

It’s better than “To boldly go where no man has gone before?”  However, I never claimed that TV writers knew much about grammar (or at least didn’t apply their knowledge). 

The following may get me removed from moderator status, but:

I suppose the same could be said about the ass who wrote this stupid program.  Based on Barto’s comment then Brennen’s response I wrote a comprehensive post and attempted to submit it.  Since Barto was also submitting a post at the same time, mine was erased.  I send CFI a reasonable amount of money.  Couldn’t they have used it to find a competent programmer rather than the jerk who wrote this abomination?

OCCAM

Posted: 19 June 2007 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02
mckenzievmd - 19 June 2007 09:04 PM

Occam,

Change that to “To boldly go where no one has gone before” and you have yourself a deal.  :D

Sorry, I’m a Trekker through and through.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 June 2007 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Whoops, I screwed that one up, didn’t I?  Yes, Mriana, it should have been no one, and I apologize.  However, while the TV writers were probably right that it had more strength as you stated it, it’s still grammatically incorrect to put the adverb “boldly” in the middle of the infinitive, “To go”.  [Geez, don’t you hate antique nitpickers?]  LOL

Occam

Posted: 21 June 2007 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, you are right about the grammer, but that is how they say it on the show.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 09 July 2007 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

A minor suggestion for the programmer.  To switch back to the index so one can go to the next sub-forum, one has to scroll back to the top of the page.  Many forums have a duplicate of that strip at the bottom of the series of posts so one can click on the index without having to go back to the top of the page.

Occam

Posted: 28 July 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

question I wonder if that was why it was locking up on me last night as I tried to post and the words would not appear on the screen? I went to a help site and it said “Check your software.” Hmm, perhaps the glitches came with the software that were either in the download or if you were using CD’s to upload. If CD’s then it is usually the fault of the laser rather than the disk I am told by those working in the industry that say minute impulses that miss a beat (even a thousandth of a second) can interrupt the signal which the recording can enable the disk to be corrupted its self. If it is a download over the net the same thing can happen on the other end. Unless the computer you’ve using has the glitch, then that is another story.Also key strokes can mess things up while downloading. But if it is the fault of the seller the seller needs to make good because a few years ago I had a company produce me a website with lots of whistles and I found glitches on it as I had to download it from their site. At first they blamed me but after doing several tests they came to realize it was them and not me and immediately discovered the source and fixed it.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 28 July 2007 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I’m not sure, but often when one can read the prior posts but not reply it’s because when you logged on, something went wrong and you are not really logged on.  You may want to go to the top of the page and see if it has a “log on” button to click on.  After you’ve done it successfully you can probably post.

Occam

3 of 3

‹‹ Books      Question to Doug ››