Gingrich talks about “anti-religious bias” in the US
Posted: 20 May 2007 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

He spoke at Falwell’s Liberty University last week, attacking “radical secularism”. The Washington Post has the story.

Josh Marshall’s Talking Points Memo also has a good rundown and rebuttal.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 May 2007 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-05-25

This is such utter nonsense and obvious pandering to the radical Christian right from one of the most duplicitous schmucks in the history of American politics. I read an interview with him last fall wherein he extolled the virtues of science (including an endorsement of the teaching of the Theory of Evolution). Then, he turns around and tries to play this game. Nauseating.
I’ve been reading American Theocracy by former Republican strategist Kevin Phillips which outlines <u>how</u> the Republican party became the theocratic party of the U.S. I think they are in for an enormous backlash.

Signature 

“Then every thing includes itself in power,
Power into will, will into appetite;
And appetite, a universal wolf,
So doubly seconded with will and power,
Must make perforce a universal prey,
And last eat up himself.”

Shakespeare, “Troilus and Cressida - Act I. Scene III”

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree with Peter except that his evaluation of Gingrich is far too mild and positive for my mind.  :grin:

Newt recognizes that the Republican candidate field is so large and fragmented that he’s hoping to slip in as the compromise candidate. 

And this is the guy who led the efforts to impeach Clinton based on his inaccurate testimony (lie?) about the sexual contact he had with Monica Lewinsky, while at the same time Gingrich was having sex with his secretary as his wife lay in the hospital being treated for cancer.  What shocks me is the number of Republicans I know who were furious at Clinton, but manage to justify Gingrich.  Talk about congnitive dissonance.

Occam

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

“This anti-religious bias must end.”

“In hostility to American history, the radical secularists insist that religious belief is inherently divisive,” Gingrich said, deriding what he called the “contorted logic” and “false principles” of advocates of secularism in American society.

What religious bias?  And has he studied his American history?  I’m sorry, but our forefathers were doing their best to be secular. Has he read the Constitution lately?  America was not founded on religious principles.  mad

“Basic fairness demands that religious beliefs deserve a chance to be heard,” he said during his 26-minute speech. “It is wrong to single out those who believe in God for discrimination. Yet, today, it is impossible to miss the discrimination against religious believers.”

What’s he talking about?  Has he heard that speil about “If America were anti-Christian”?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 28 May 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-04-29

Christians have been nursing the myth that they are the victims of persecution for as long as I can remember. But there’s no question the rhetoric has become more blatant lately.

I wrote a short essay on this, “Whining for Jesus?,” that ran in Freethought Today a few years back. Any who are interested will find it here: http://www.ffrf.org/fttoday/2003/oct/index.php?ft=ricker

George

Signature 

George Ricker
http://www.godlessinamerica.com

“Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them.” Godless in America: conversations with an atheist

Posted: 28 May 2007 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Oo! George! I had no idea you were a fellow writer!  :D Glad to see another writer on board and thanks for sharing your article.  Very nicely done and well said.  Congrats on getting it posted on FFRF’s website too.  You should be very proud of that achievement too.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report