2 of 2
The Ongoing Palm Beach County Church Poll cse
Posted: 14 June 2007 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Referring to your last post:  And that’s why you’re a lawyer and we obviously are not, Jim.  Your points are excellent, but just not the kind of thing most of us consider. 

I guess my question is where do we define the line?  For example, assume a Catholic diocese bought a mall and leased the facility out to a number of stores, and there was a community room in the mall.  The mall management makes the community room available as a polling place.  There is no evidence of ownership or Catholic influence or symbols.  However, it would seem that this might be in conflict with the establishment clause.

Occam

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

No that wouldn’t it would require much more. Google Cooper to get a recent case in the east that is close to your posited facts. And google Rabinowitz v Anderson or the case number 06-81117 Civ to find the complaint. Probably better is to go to the link: http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/files to find the complaint and the pictures I posted there as a pdf file.
Jim
surprised

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 14 June 2007 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Jim,

Thanks for the link to the complaint. Pretty egregious stuff, no doubt. I’ve managed to block out the time I lived in South Carolina, so I sometimes forget how different things are from where I live now. Nobody would ever get away with that kind of thing locally. Glad you’re there to fight this sort of thing!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

2 of 2