1 of 2
Question on Egyptian and Mayan mythology
Posted: 13 June 2007 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

In the back of Acharya’s book The Christ Conspiracy there is a list of other books, one being The Orion Prophecy. I think this is the place to post this myth for it does not really fit religion, I don’t think.  It says:

In the year 2012 the Earth awaits a super catastrophe:  its magnetic field reverse in one go.  Phenomenal earthquakes and tidal waves will completely destroy our civilization.  Europe and North America will shift thousands of kilometers northwards into polar climes.  Nearly everyone will perish in the apocalyptic happenings.  These dire predictions stem from the Mayans and Egyptians- descendants of the legendary Atlantis.  The Atlanteans had highly evolved astronomical knowledge and were able to exactly predict the previous world-wide flood in 9792 BCE

OK the summery goes on for about two or three more sentences, but what strikes me funny about this myth is 1. Scientist say there was no world-wide flood.  2.  It would probably take an astroid to do this.  However, the natural disaster that is being described concerning tidel waves and earthquakes sounds like Global warming.  Then you look at the date (2012) and it was one of the first dates Globalwarming people gave IF it was not reversed in the near future. The date has been moved to within the next 10 years, I think.  It would also take a mighty powerful earthquake to move LA up into polar regions, even though it has been slowly shifting in that directions for centuries.

Being the skeptic that I am, I find this highly improbable, but then again stranger things have happened.  Yet the next two sentence are enough to set off gullible people into a panic attack:

Orion and several others stars will take the same ‘code-positions’ as in 9792 BC!  For thousands of years historical sources have told of a forgotten time capsule of ancient wisdom located in a mythical labyrinth of secret chambers filled with artifacts and documents from the previous flood.  We desperately need this information now- an this book gives on possible location.

Now this sounds like another author trying to make a quick buck, much like the “Left Behind” books.  rolleyes  IMHO, if there was any potential of this happening in the next 5 years, wouldn’t our scientists be saying more about it? These people make no sense as they spread lame myths.

[ Edited: 13 June 2007 11:40 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 June 2007 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14

The stuff you quote is just the sheerest nonsense. There was no “Atlantean” society or race. That stuff all comes from 19th century mystics like Madame Blavatsky. Atlantis was an overtly fictional society mentioned by Plato in one of his dialogues. Again, he mentioned it as a fiction. As a result, neither the Mayans nor the Egyptians were “decendants of the Atlanteans”. Neither of them predicted any such thing as they mention. There was no worldwide flood in 9792 BCE.

Whatever books you’ve been reading, Mriana, they should be approached as no more reliable than Alice in Wonderland.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 June 2007 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 13 June 2007 11:36 AM

...These dire predictions stem from the Mayans and Egyptians- descendants of the legendary Atlantis.

Plato’s Timaeus and Critias are the only accounts of the existence of Atlantis. What do the Mayans have to do with Atlantis? As far as I know there is no mentioning of Atlantis in any of the Maya codices.

I also believe (cannot remember for sure) that the Egyptian priest told the Greek (forgot his name) that the descendants of Atlantis were “white and beautiful like you” – meaning the Greeks. The Egyptians were clearly not considered the descendants of Atlantis.

Posted: 13 June 2007 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

No, Doug, I have not read that book (The Orion Prophesy). It was listed as suggested to buy books in the back of Acharya’s book.  Although even what she says in The Christ Conspiracy gave me questions, so I asked Robert Price some questions.  However, there was one person she mentioned in her book that I never heard of that is suppose to be a famous Jewish historian- Flavius Josephus.  I was going to ask Bob about that one, but the man is listed in his book Deconstructing Jesus.

I’m with you, George, that’s why I asked.  I never heard of the Mayans and the Egyptians being related to Atlantis and I’ve studied a lot of different myths. However, it is always possible that I have not studied some things, because there are myths from various cultures I have never heard of, but yet upon research, I find it. This one doesn’t seem like it’s worth researching, even more so now that you and Doug have not pointed me in any direction.

As I said, my skeptism alarm went off that Orion Prophesy book.  It made no sense.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 June 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 13 June 2007 02:44 PM

I never heard of the Mayans and the Egyptians being related to Atlantis

What I find interesting, though, is that both cultures built the pyramids. Does Diamond talk about any of this in his Guns, Germs, and Steel? Anybody?(I’ve never read the book but I just have a feeling he could have had an opinion on this.)

On the other hand, both the Chinese and the Europeans independently invented the gunpowder, for example. So why not the pyramids, I guess…?

Posted: 14 June 2007 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

First, the last period of global warming that caused the polar caps to melt caused a rise in ocean level of about 66 feet.  However, that was over a period of 400 years.  Yes, I feel global warming is real and the humans have contributed greatly to it, but it’s not the same kind of thing as a tornado, earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc.  It’s slow and inexorable, so while it is already showing up and will probably be more evident in 2012, I doubt that there will be any instant catastrophe then. 

Second, re: gunpowder.  It’s fascinating how many inventions and discoveries were made independently by two or more people.  It seems that when the society and the technology progress to a certain point certain combinations of data become obvious and the discovery is going to be made by at least one person in a number of societies.

Third, if you wanted to build a large structure of blocks of rock, the best equilibrium shape would be a pyramid.  Imagine a few other shapes and think of how they could be built by the Egyptians or Mayans. 

Occam

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 14 June 2007 01:28 AM

Third, if you wanted to build a large structure of blocks of rock, the best equilibrium shape would be a pyramid.

I think you’re right, Occam. They didn’t have much choice, did they? Another example could be a sandcastle built by children on a beach.

Occam - 14 June 2007 01:28 AM

It’s fascinating how many inventions and discoveries were made independently by two or more people.

Or how many similarities were independently discovered by evolution: the full colour vision in (most) monkeys in Africa and in (some) monkeys in South America was developed long after the two continents drifted apart from each other. This often makes me think that life elsewhere in our universe (if there is another one) won’t appear much different from ours…

Posted: 14 June 2007 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

George, I agree that life seems very likely on other planets.  And, when you consider the multiplicity of weird precambrian animals that have gone extinct, I think just about any configuration we may find on some other planet, if we can figure out how to get there, will probably be similar to at least one of the wide variety of earth species. 

Occam

Posted: 14 June 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Agreed. And we don’t even need to go back 500 million years to look for “weird” looking animals. Have you seen this one before?

(Brennen, would you know what to do with it if I brought it to your clinic? LOL)

[ Edited: 14 June 2007 07:19 PM by George ]

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2006-11-28

red face
Oops, missed the link. Yeah, I saw that one on the Planet Earth series. Not much of a mollusc doctor, so I wouldn’t know where to begin!  wink I just found out a couple of days ago that bowhead whales can live to be nearly 200 hundred years old! Who knew? Nature is pretty amazing, for certain.

[ Edited: 14 June 2007 10:09 PM by mckenzievmd ]
 Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

No there was no image. It was just something about another book advertised in the back of Acharya’s book- The Christ Conspiracy. It sounded bogus to me and I was right.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 15 June 2007 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 14 June 2007 09:33 PM

red face
Not much of a mollusc doctor, so I wouldn’t know where to begin!

Mollusc? And I thought it was Picachu from Pokemon :grin:.

Posted: 16 June 2007 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

see, a cartoonist can work like the devil to make a fictional creature that has no counterpart in reality then someone comes up with an actual animal that matches his fantasy. 

Occam   LOL

Posted: 20 June 2007 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh geeze!  I frequently post on another board and someone is posting similar crap saying it makes more sense to them than Evolution or I.D.  rolleyes  Here’s the link they posted:

http://www.divinecosmos.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=342&Itemid=70

Since it sounds like The Orion Prophesy, I shared a little of what I learned here (and could remember), but I think it could be further debunked.  I already stated that DNA changes (also mentioned in this thing) take time and aren’t a sudden change, but I think it could be further debunked.  We aren’t going to have sudden changes in DNA in 2012.  rolleyes  Nor are babies in the womb going to be sensitive to it, but my word probably won’t be good enough to debunk it without some serious scientific links, I’m afraid.  Any ideas guys?  Because this man in this radio show really sounds like a kook and at least one person is falling for it- hook, line, and sinker.  No skeptism in him.  rolleyes  We really need some rational thinking added to the conversation and I’m not sure where to find support for my attempts to debunk this myth.  :(

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 June 2007 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

You know, Mriana, there’s no way to correct the thinking of these people short of starting them out in kindergarten again and going all through elementary and high school, then going through a physics, chemistry or biological science major in a GOOD university.  they don’t know what they are talking about, but they know so little that they don’t even know they don’t know what they are talking about.

Occam

Posted: 21 June 2007 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

This true, Occam, but a little more accurate information that doesn’t get my skeptical alarms ringing would be nice to share with them.  The problem is finding it online to share with others.  A book might be good, but it’s not an immediate source easily shown and shared.

Signature 

Mriana

1 of 2