kombucha
Posted: 17 June 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2007-05-20

Anybody heard of this stuff?  It’s basically fermented green tea that is flavored to cover up the putrid taste.  It smells like pee.  Although the qualities of this beverage seem to be no different than that of ordinary yogurt, the guy who makes this stuff claims that it can prevent cancer.  Oh yeah, and it costs nearly $3 a bottle.

I was tipped off about this wonder-product by my buddy who buys enough so that he can drink a bottle at least once a day.  He was convinced by the maker’s testemonial that his mother survived various forms of cancer from drinking kombucha.  To add more flames to my skeptical fire, he claims that the maker of it prays loving thoughts by the fermenting vats of tea.  Oh brother!  Sounds like What the &*@($^ nonsense to me.

You’ve got to check out the untested claims at this site http://www.gtskombucha.com/.

Posted: 17 June 2007 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

You know the old saying, Ticktock, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  However, this guy will get rich quick due to gullible people.  I’m just sorry your friend is being one of them.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 June 2007 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Praying loving thoughts to change the water sounds like the Message From Water, something popularized by What the Bleep Do We Know?

The website about the “Messages From Water” contained a lot of bull and WTBDWK contained a lot of bull, which means this is probably bull.

$90 for a month’s supply? If I could get a sufficient amount of people to pay me $90 a month…

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 18 June 2007 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
ticktock - 17 June 2007 01:28 PM

Anybody heard of this stuff?. . .  It smells like pee.

Hey, Ticktock, you have to admire the guy selling it.  He’s found a way to make money by recycling his urine.  Now, that’s clever.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 18 June 2007 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

YUK!  Occam, people drink that stuff.  :(  Granted it’s a waste of money, but to call it urine?  9.gif

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 June 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Why the hell is this legal anyway? Can’t these people be arrested for fraud?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 18 June 2007 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-11-22
logicisrefreshing - 18 June 2007 12:19 PM

Why the hell is this legal anyway? Can’t these people be arrested for fraud?

It’s all in the wording my friend.  I know people who peddle another type of miracle juice, and put forth claims that it “helps prevent things”.... cheese from happening i.e. diabetes, arthritis, and the big one cancer, by “helping the body run the way it is supposed to.” They use all these testimonials from individuals that all these miracles have happened too, however they are always in some other state and can’t directly talk to them.  They never, however, say that it “cures” or that it “prevents” some disease by itself, their statement is ussually proceeded by “it helps” or it “assists the body run they way it’s supposed too.”  Also if you notice there is also some sort of funny discovery surrounding the product, ” a remote villiage in the middle of the Amazon…...”

Signature 

“Truth persists, whether you believe it or not.”

Posted: 18 June 2007 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, Mriana, Ticktock said it smelled like pee.  I was just extrapolating from that.  grin

Occam

Posted: 18 June 2007 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

My older son loves hot green tea, but not this brand in this thread.  Hopefully he doesn’t fall for this junk, but he seems to think on his feet, so he probably won’t.  If he does, I’ll be sure to tell him I heard it smelled like pee and the man is making money off his pee.  Maybe he’ll change his mind.

Signature 

Mriana