2 of 3
Does the word “natural” mean anything?
Posted: 21 July 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Taking your definition of it, above and beyond that which exists.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 29 July 2007 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2007-07-29
narwhol - 18 June 2007 02:27 PM

Or put another way, can anything that exists ever really be called unnatural?

Discuss.

it would be UN-natrual for you to begin eating razor blades and nails and then internally bleed to a horrible death. It is natrual to eat was is natrual and good for the organism.

it is not natural to ‘water’ a plant with acid!

Posted: 29 July 2007 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

It is natrual to eat was is natrual and good for the organism

Explain that to all the dogs and cats I have to surgically remove pantyhose, dental floss, and other “unatrual” foods from. Explain that to the animals in the wild loaded with intestinal parasites from eating their eggs and larave. If by “natural” you mean “good for you,” you’re mythologizing nature.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 29 July 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2007-07-29
mckenzievmd - 29 July 2007 10:48 AM

It is natrual to eat was is natrual and good for the organism

Explain that to all the dogs and cats I have to surgically remove pantyhose, dental floss, and other “unatrual” foods from. Explain that to the animals in the wild loaded with intestinal parasites from eating their eggs and larave. If by “natural” you mean “good for you,” you’re mythologizing nature.

as you show, those animals eating thos eUN-natrual materials wasn’t healthy for them, correct?

Don’t worry, you dont have to confirm what I already know!

Posted: 29 July 2007 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Not healthy, but completely natural! grin (notice the scare quotes I originially put around “unatural,” to make my point that it was not in fact unatural at all for them to do such a thing)

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 27 August 2007 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-08-27

Isn’t completely impossible for man to act “unnaturally”? How can anything we do be outside of nature? If you can construct a valid argument for that, I’m going to become a Christian.

Signature 

Jeffery Reid
http://apologia.typepad.com

Posted: 29 June 2008 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-23

do you mean like humans in nature?
or just the idea that everything is nature and everything today (buildings and structures and the concepts and theories are all natural?

Posted: 29 June 2008 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I love when I read food labels that boast “All Natural!” A lot of things are all natural. Cyanide, arsenic, ricin….

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 June 2008 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I also crack up when people tell me that they’re taking “natural” iron pill supplements rather than the synthetic ones.  Oh, were the ferrous atoms in the “synthetic” ones made in a cyclotron?  I’m fascinated when I try to explain that the ascorbic acid made synthetically and the ascorbic acid extracted from citrus fruit are identical, and they are certain that I’m just biased because I’m a chemist.

Occam

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 29 June 2008 09:20 PM

I love when I read food labels that boast “All Natural!” A lot of things are all natural. Cyanide, arsenic, ricin….

LOL My thoughts exactly!!! LOL don’t forget MRSA, VRE, bird-flu,the ‘flesh eating bacteria’, meningitis, toxic-shock syndrome and cancer!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
George - 18 June 2007 03:13 PM

Whatever was deliberately or accidentally created by men (by men only!), we call unnatural. It is something that nature has never thought of.

You see (and I apologise if someone already said this), I disagree with that because if aliens (or non-human intelligent entities) were to exist and were to build, say, a spaceship then that too would be unnatural IMO. If I am correct then that means that “unnatural” really means “deliberately or accidentally created by an intelligent entity” which then becomes a relative POV and who defines where intelligence starts or ends?

Also, if another entity (call it “Race X”), comes along and defines “unnatural” as anything “deliberately or accidentally created by ‘Race X’”” then where does that leave us?

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Kyuuketsuki UK - 30 June 2008 12:37 AM

Also, if another entity (call it “Race X”), comes along and defines “unnatural” as anything “deliberately or accidentally created by ‘Race X’”” then where does that leave us? Kyu

Maybe ‘Race E’ LOL  LOL  LOL Sorry, I couldn’t help myself! tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I suppose we should also get rid of everything that was created unnaturally - cars, computers, telephones, televisions, radios, cures for most diseases, any corrective surgery, all books, contraceptives, etc. etc.

Occam

Posted: 30 June 2008 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 30 June 2008 12:46 PM

I suppose we should also get rid of everything that was created unnaturally - cars, computers, telephones, televisions, radios, cures for most diseases, any corrective surgery, all books, contraceptives, etc. etc.

Occam

Luddites of the world unite! (or is that untie?)

Signature 

Posted: 30 June 2008 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2008-01-23
Occam - 30 June 2008 12:46 PM

Occam

That includes this thread then too?  LOL Surely it is unnatural to be having a conversation like this?  cool smile

2 of 3