3 of 3
Does the word “natural” mean anything?
Posted: 30 June 2008 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-23

does anyone believe that we as humans view nature as not including humans in judging this planet, like as human we explore the unknown
so do we as humans consider our selves a part of nature?

Posted: 30 June 2008 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
OSX989 - 30 June 2008 07:02 PM

does anyone believe that we as humans view nature as not including humans in judging this planet, like as human we explore the unknown

huh??? oh oh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 July 2008 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
OSX989 - 30 June 2008 07:02 PM

As far as I am concerned everything is natural (there not being any supernatural to speak of) so yeah we are part of it.

I suppose it depends on what you mean as “natural” ... I use it in the sense of being explainable, as not being supernatural but others use it in the sense of being “not constructed” which has problems because beavers construct dams so then one has to decide where to draw the line between naturally constructed and non-naturally constructed (if there is such a thing).

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 03 July 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-23

i think kyu got it the best

Posted: 03 July 2008 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-06-23

i like the idea of using it in a sense of being explainable, but for asanta, do you believe that humans put themselves about about the “natural world”

Posted: 03 July 2008 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Now it’s my turn.  Huh????  confused

Occam

Posted: 03 July 2008 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
OSX989 - 03 July 2008 02:16 PM

i like the idea of using it in a sense of being explainable, but for asanta, do you believe that humans put themselves about about the “natural world”

“about about”? Please clarify!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 July 2008 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21
George - 18 June 2007 03:13 PM

Whatever was deliberately or accidentally created by men (by men only!), we call unnatural. It is something that nature has never thought of.

But man is nature, so if man creates something, it is nature creating something. So it is still natural. Actions\reactions within nature.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 11 July 2008 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I agree, Travis, everything is nature. The distinction between natural and unnatural is only meaningful to us, the humans. Perhaps we could look for analogy in art: to a much more advanced alien a human painting Mona Lisa or a male bird decorating his nest to attract a female bird will appear as the same thing. But not to us. I don’t think Picasso used to consciously engage in mathematical calculations such as 1 Guernica = 20 mistresses. But in the end he did get those women just like the most “talented” bird will get his hens.

[ Edited: 11 July 2008 09:14 AM by George ]

Posted: 03 November 2008 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  227
Joined  2008-07-26

In the philosophical sense of the word, everything of course is natural. “supernatural” is abused to create a place for our merry fictions to live (gods, demons, black republicans etc).

Nature in the “manmade” sense of the word is perfectly good, perfectly useful as in the remark “This area was landscaped to have those features but this rock formation over there is natural”. However the term has fallen into euphemistic abuse by PC thugs and newage marketers. Here is how I know. A synonym for natural is organic thus we have “organic” products. I kid you not I’ve seen “organic meat” for sale. I duno where they keep the inorganic meat... I don’t think I want to know.

Posted: 03 November 2008 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree.  “Natural” is the con-job opposite of “synthetic”.  Natural=good, synthetic=bad.  I cracked up a few years ago at a health food store when I saw “natural vitamin C - contains no synthetics.”  The ingredient section showed “ascorbic acid from lemons”.  Ascorbic acid is identical to ascorbic acid no matter what the source. 

Occam

Posted: 23 November 2008 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2007-05-16
sate - 03 November 2008 10:15 AM

In the philosophical sense of the word, everything of course is natural. “supernatural” is abused to create a place for our merry fictions to live (gods, demons, black republicans etc).

Nature in the “manmade” sense of the word is perfectly good, perfectly useful as in the remark “This area was landscaped to have those features but this rock formation over there is natural”. However the term has fallen into euphemistic abuse by PC thugs and newage marketers. Here is how I know. A synonym for natural is organic thus we have “organic” products. I kid you not I’ve seen “organic meat” for sale. I duno where they keep the inorganic meat... I don’t think I want to know.

I agree.

I think everyone intuitively knows that difference between the different uses of the word natural. We all know that what humans do is just as natural as everything in nature in one sense of the word but that natural/manmade is a useful dichotomy to distinguish what man has made and what he has not. And I’m sure we all hate the new age meaning of natural!!

The organic thing is just another semantic issue. We all understand that organic can mean either made from organic materials or it can refer to specific agricultural practices used to raise the animals. I don’t think anyone is getting tricked in to buying “organic” meat when they meant to buy “inorganic” meat.

Signature 

“If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between “for” and “against” is the mind’s worst disease.”
- Sent-ts’an

Posted: 23 November 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

I’m reading “Vital Fire”, an interesting if overlong tome on humanity’s use of fire on the land. Right up until the nineteenth century, fire was used to make land agriculturally productive. You burned off part of a forest and planted crops there. The land remained productive for a couple of years, then you abandoned it and moved on to another chunk of land. After about 40 or 50 years, it would be ready for another go.

In modern times, people have started to crack down on such fires, seeing them as destructive. But these efforts are often counterproductive, as fuel buildup makes the inevitable wildfire impossible to fight. So now most forest practitioners recommend some form of occasional fire. But what then do we mean by “natural” fire? The wildfire kind that reduces thousands of acres to black landscapes? The little fires we set to burn off the low fuel? The closer we mesh with nature, the harder it becomes to distinguish between natural and anthropogenic.

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-11-25

When using ‘natural’ in the context of giving legitimacy or superiority to certain behaviours ie heterosexuality, smoking dope (cause hey it’s better than other drugs cause it’s natural ya know!) it becomes a bit of a vague and unsatisfying argument in that it is just as easy to point out some behaviour that is commonly observed in our species which the person wouldn’t condone could also be described as ‘natural’.

But hey it’s always handy to bolster your ideological views by appealing to something being ‘natural’. Gives great emotional resonance to arguments - and as others have mentioned is useful for advertisers too in their products. Natural in that context seems to = safer in the mind of the consumer.

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

You’re quite right, Jade.  It would seem a counter-argument to their desire for all things natural would be to suggest that they get rid of their automobiles and bicycles, their shoes, eye glasses, contraceptives, antibiotics, and all reading material, electronic devices, etc.  That way they can really appreciate the “natural” life.

Occam

3 of 3