2 of 2
“Blasphemy
Posted: 05 August 2007 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

it goes like this;

eee, you great wet lettuce!  What - big strong lad like you?  Upset over a silly little thing like that?  Oh, give over you daft a’peth.  How upset are we talking here?  I mean is it manageable?  Are you losing any sleep?  Have you tried counseling.  You know you can actually self-administer GTFOI therapy these days, don’t you?  No, seriously, it is quite definitely your own choice to get upset about it. If your god is offended, let him deal with his issues himself.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 05 August 2007 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

Don’t think it’s likely to win many converts, though ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 August 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2007-07-12
narwhol - 05 August 2007 01:57 PM

If someone says don’t offend their God because “it upsets me” that is a ways round the fact that you’re unlikely to accept “it’s blasphemous” as an argument.  it is a ways of getting the “Do no question” motif in there by a backdoor method.  Now, someone who gets offended by proxy like that has made a conscious decision to let it upset them.  I have no sympathy for this.  You could try ” Now, look here old thing, I wasn’t offending you I was offending your God, and if you can just bring him on out here, we can discuss the matter ourselves, and it needn’t concern you.

Better yet, you could expound to her the argument of the great “wet lettuce”.

Okay, maybe this is a way of getting the “Do not question” motif in. But can it be hurtful and offending to make someone question her own beliefs?

She claims that she needs to believe in someone that loves her all the time.  In general, she is not very mature .

(I realize that the results of such an attitude in the public sphere can be (and probably are) disasterous. Can\should be a difference between the public and the private sphere?)

[ Edited: 06 August 2007 10:31 AM by wandering ]

Posted: 06 August 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
wandering - 06 August 2007 10:25 AM

Okay, maybe this is a way of getting the “Do not question” motif in. But can it be hurtful and offending to make someone question her own beliefs?

She claims that she needs to believe in someone that loves her all the time.  In general, she is not very mature .

Hm. If she puts it like that, “I need to believe in someone”, it shows that she herself is aware (on some level) that there’s something fishy going on. She knows she is taking the stance that this thing exists because it makes her feel good to do so.

Let’s say she had some terrible disease. It would definitely make her feel better to believe that she didn’t have it. But that doesn’t make it so. We have a term for this, we call it “wishful thinking”. And wishful thinking can be dangerous.

So, you can separate the wishful thinking from the hard evidence. IMO everyone is capable of doing this, however not everyone is able to allow themselves to accept the conclusions therefrom. All you can do is gently raise the right questions.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 August 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2007-07-12
dougsmith - 06 August 2007 10:32 AM

Hm. If she puts it like that, “I need to believe in someone”, it shows that she herself is aware (on some level) that there’s something fishy going on. She knows she is taking the stance that this thing exists because it makes her feel good to do so.

Let’s say she had some terrible disease. It would definitely make her feel better to believe that she didn’t have it. But that doesn’t make it so. We have a term for this, we call it “wishful thinking”. And wishful thinking can be dangerous.

So, you can separate the wishful thinking from the hard evidence. IMO everyone is capable of doing this, however not everyone is able to allow themselves to accept the conclusions therefrom. All you can do is gently raise the right questions.

On some level, she is aware. But she still feels very angry when the idea that god is just an imaginary friend is raised. Don’t ask me why.

Can showing a person that an idea of his is wishful thinking be bad? If you feel he has no way of dealing with the consequences of realizing this?  In some hypothetical or non-hypothetical scenario?

Posted: 06 August 2007 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Well, I think the recent interview with Carol Travis touching on cognitive dissonace is a possible explanation for why she gets angry. It is painful to realize something central to your idea of yourself and the world is false. It’s not bad to show someone what you believe is true, but you may have to accept that they can’t deal with it or accept it just because it’s true.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 06 August 2007 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2007-08-05

All that an individual see, hear, touch, taste, smell, think, and that yet to enter into their mind is an experience which is cognizant because of their conscious awareness.  What a person is aware of however is not the important thing in the scheme of living, it is how one interpret that which they are aware of that matters.  One’s interpretation does not add nor take away from the reality of what they experience, it does however cause one to see through a glass darkly, and makes one forget the purpose of Life is to experience living regardless of what level of understanding one may be on. 
Man’s experience is the only thing he can testify to as truth.  What another has said, does, or has yet to do does not matter to one’s direct experience.  And so all knowledge that is not achieved by actuality of one’s living it, yet believed as a truth, or theory, concept, idea, opinion absorbed because someone else has stated it,  means one is in chaos, and confused to the directness of the impression which imbedded itself within the soul of one’s self by their experience. 
There is no other purpose for living Life but to experience Life on one’s own terms without imposing one’s self upon another without cause.

Signature 

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength jufa

You are never alone!

Posted: 06 August 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

umm, im not in chaos because someone told me the “truth” about what happens when you stand on train tracks, especially when a train is coming. i dont need to experience the consequences firsthand to call it a “truth.”

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 06 August 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

To be honest with you, people are going to say this sort of thing about imaginary friends anyway.  I think she has to learn not to get angry about it.  A belief in a God and an angry intolerance of opinions about deities that differ from you own can be a pretty harmful combination. As long as you don’t buy her any medieval tortoure equipment, I’m sure she will do very little harm to others, but might damage her own relationships with them.  I think that if she really wants to experience some sort of virtual reality love thing, she might be better off playing that board game with her friends in which they have those cards that they have to pick up with their dates on them.  At least then, she’d get to enjoy a social bond with real people at the same time.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

2 of 2