7 of 8
Crop Circles…
Posted: 03 August 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

see, i feel the crop circles are evidence that the crops are “evolving” a conciousness and they are going through a renaissance era where they like to express themselves through art mediums. thats one of the theories you must consider and dont ask me to provide proof, because the proof is in the pudding (PS: what does that phrase even mean?)

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 03 August 2007 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

gulp Oh I believe you as I believe the wheat and the grain are actually visitors from another world who came in a big silo shaped space ship and in fact all of the silos were designed after the space ships that brought the grain aliens to earth. And I also believe they are evolving into a higher form of intelligence and their plan is to take over the world and start planting people in their place and then a stalk of corn will move into the White House and we will have our first corny president. And that Rice woman will be replaced by a stalk of real rice. And Brown the prime minister of UK will be replaced by a stalk of brown rye. And after all the humans are planted in the ground by the grain aliens we will all grow into family trees and your family tree might even become a real living nut tree.
Wont that be nice?

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 03 August 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

clearly there has been a breach. that information is a matter of galactic security. or you or have you ever been a member of an athropo organization?

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 03 August 2007 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

the proof is in the pudding (PS: what does that phrase even mean?)

Answer-nothing. Its a popular misquote of the phrase “The proof of the pudding is in the eating,” meaning rouhgly that superficial appearances are not reliable to judge by.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 03 August 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

snake How did you ever guess? As a matter of fact some ops in black suits came in the middle of the night with the news and told me to pack a bag and only bring one watering can with me, so I called to my wife and told her to climb on my back as I was ordered to pack her out of there. As she climbed on my back I grabbed what I thought was a watering can as I stumbled around blindly in the dark and as I climbed in the back seat of their car (okay their tank then) I realized I had some how brought along a pee can and as my wife saw my mistake she became worried as she replied just above a whisper, “Why did you bring a pecan when we had a whole sack of walnuts by the door?” It was then the shorter of the two ops sitting up front turned and looking straight back at us said in his most solemn voice, “The wheat has begun stalking us and they mean to plant us all.” My wife fainted at that moment as I shook in my seat (an earthquake had hit the area at that very moment) and as the taller of the two started up the car (okay wheelbarrow then, what ever) I could not help wondering as I looked out across the wheat fields, “The wheat has begun to stalk us. What will be next, will the Bam boo us?”

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2007 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05

You must keep in mind of course that the biggest crop circle to date appeared one month before 9/11.

cirking.gif

made up of more than 400 separate circles in what experts describe as a Julia Set design.

The circle measures more than 1,000 feet in diameter and covers a total area of 636,172 square feet.

http://farshores.org/ufocirc.htm

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 03 August 2007 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

The photo isn’t coming through. And the source of this information seems pretty thin. I particularly like this quote: ““It is hard to say that it could be a hoax because it is so big. You have only five hours of darkness to work in and there are so many circles you would have to be making one circle every 30 seconds.”

Let’s see, 400 circles times 30 seconds = 200 minutes. 200 minutes = 3.5 hours. Hmmm ... math isn’t coming out too well there.

What you would need is, say, a group of 20 people, with two people per circle, which makes ten groups. Each group could do a circle in about 7-10 minutes.

I would also give them much more than five hours, because they could easily start well before sundown, and finish well after sunup.

Beer and pizza for everyone. And you get in the woo-woo newspapers!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 August 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

I get the picture fine.  Here is another one of the same agriglyph with some people standing in one of the largest of the 409 circles.

normal_julia2.jpg

What you would need is, say, a group of 20 people, with two people per circle, which makes ten groups. Each group could do a circle in about 7-10 minutes.

I have never done it but using that board and rope trick I don’t think two people can make an 80 foot diameter in 10 minutes.  And looking at these pictures I think the major problem is the precision.  How do you do that in the dark without lots of lights to attract attention?

Here is a video of a Julia but I don’t know which one it is though.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8784064930752547176

The one I pictured is the 3rd, 5th, 7th in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxToRvCVkQs

Plus there is this wierdness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6vP8-SbU0 

Arguments Against the Hoax Theory of Crop Circles
by Joseph E. Mason
http://www.greatdreams.com/crop/hoax/hoax.htm

Damn this is time consuming.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJ-pPA2gL0

That video says that a 140 circle Julia appeared within a 25 minute period.  The change was observed by pilots flying over Stonehenge.

psik

[ Edited: 04 August 2007 02:28 PM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 04 August 2007 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

I can not watch videos on my PC but from what everyone seems to be saying is that some sort of strange phenomenon is making crop circles. Has anyone heard that reporters lie and movies can be doctored? Why should anyone believe a reporter or a movie (video) about how some crop circles were made or how short of a time they were made just because you viewed it over the net?
Believing something right off without cross reference to back it up is how theist gather in the unknowing and is the oldest con in the book. Listen to Doug because he knows what he is talking about when he is skeptical. If an intelligent life form were able to come from another inhabited planet to earth traveling at an incredible speed, why would they make crop circles? And if they aren’t from outer space and are from the earth why would they mainly make the crop circles in England as say Texas or California?

And if who ever is making these crop circles happens to only live in the UK, then what would be their purpose other than to either hoodwink people or do it as a form of art? And if the last scenario is to be believed, then why doesn’t some one come forward and introduce their art and explain the pieces? My gut feeling is that it is an elaborate hoax to create a mystery to baffle people and who ever is doing it is being very secretive and it is a game to them much like taggers who spray paint walls and fences and are rarely ever caught.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2007 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

And if who ever is making these crop circles happens to only live in the UK, then what would be their purpose other than to either hoodwink people or do it as a form of art?

I have never seen a crop circle myself.  I don’t have access to any information that you don’t except I can play and download videos.  I provided a link that listed dates, countries and states/provinces where crop circles have been located.  That video included two that were on beaches made in sand.

I can’t think of anything that can be said to a person that can convince himself that everyone is stupid but him.  If you are interested do as much internet searching as you want if you are not interested then don’t waste your time.  But this has been going on since the 80’s and apparently historical records of cases go as far back as the 1700’s.  It is the precision that impresses me.  That is a hell of a lot of work for a hoax.

http://www.x-cosmos.it/cropcircles/index.php?filterdrzava=&filtergodina;=&filtermjesec;=&Submit=Show+records

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 04 August 2007 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

So what do you think makes them? I would like your honest opinion no matter how far out it is and why they are made?

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2007 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

I did some research myself and downloaded this:

Creators of crop circles
In 1991, more than a decade after the phenomenon began, two men from Southampton, England announced that they had conceived the idea as a prank at a pub near Winchester, Hampshire during an evening in 1976. Inspired by the 1966 Tully Saucer Nests [12] Doug Bower and Dave Chorley made their crop circles using planks, rope, hats and wire as their only tools: using a four-foot-long plank attached to a rope, they easily created circles eight feet in diameter. The two men were able to make a 40-foot circle in 15 minutes.
The pair became frustrated when their work did not receive significant publicity, so in 1981 they created a circle in Matterley Bowl, a natural amphitheatre just outside Winchester, Hampshire - an area surrounded by roads from which a clear view of the field is available to drivers passing by. Their designs were at first simple circles. When newspapers claimed that the circles could easily be explained by natural phenomena, Bower and Chorley made more complex patterns. A simple wire with a loop, hanging down from a cap - the loop positioned over one eye - could be used to focus on a landmark to aid in the creation of straight lines. Later designs of crop circles became increasingly complicated.
Bower’s wife had become suspicious of him, noticing high levels of mileage in their car. Eventually, fearing that his wife suspected him of adultery, Bower confessed to her and subsequently he and Chorley informed a British national newspaper. Chorley died in 1996, and Doug Bower has made crop circles as recently as 2004. Bower has said that, had it not been for his wife’s suspicions, he would have taken the secret to his deathbed, never revealing that it was a hoax.[13]
Circlemakers.org, a group of crop circle makers, was founded by John Lundberg. They have demonstrated that making what self-appointed cereologist experts state are “unfakeable” crop circles is possible. One such cereologist, Terence Meaden, was filmed claiming that a crop circle was genuine when the people making the circle had been filmed the night before.
Scientific American published an article by Matt Ridley,[14] who started making crop circles in northern England in 1991. He wrote about how easy it is to develop techniques using simple tools that can easily fool later observers. He reported on “expert” sources such as the Wall Street Journal who had been easily fooled, and mused about why people want to believe supernatural explanations for phenomena that are not yet explained. Methods to create a crop circle are now well-documented on the Internet.[3]
On the night of July 11-12, 1992, a crop-circle making competition, for a prize of several thousand UK pounds (partly funded by the Arthur Koestler Foundation), was held in Berkshire. The winning entry was produced by three helicopter engineers, using rope, PVC pipe, a trestle and a ladder. Another competitor used a small garden roller, a plank and some rope.
Gábor Takács and Róbert Dallos, both then 17, were the first people to be legally charged with creating a crop circle. Takács and Dallos, of the St. Stephen Agricultural Technicum, a high school in Hungary specializing in agriculture, created a 36-meter diameter crop circle in a wheat field near Székesfehérvár, 43 miles southwest of Budapest, on June 8 1992. On September 3rd, they appeared on a Hungarian TV show and exposed the circle as a hoax showing photos of the field before and after the circle was made. As a result, Aranykalász Co., the owners of the land, sued the youngsters for 630,000 HUF (approximately $3000 USD) in damages. The presiding judge ruled that the students were only responsible for the damage caused in the 36 meters diameter circle, amounting to about 6,000 HUF (approximately $30 USD) and that 99% of the damage to the crops was caused by the thousands of visitors that flocked to Szekesfehervar following the media’s promotion of the circle. The fine was eventually paid by the TV show, as were the students’ legal fees.
Paranormal enthusiasts, including Gerald Hawkins, argue that some designs have a degree of complexity that humans would not be able to easily recreate on paper, let alone in a field at night. They argue that the shapes of these formations are far too complex, and display a tremendously high level of precision which make it extremely difficult for a team of humans to create using just simple hand tools. Circle makers respond by noting that the only tool necessary for perfect symmetry is a measured length of rope rotated around a central pivot point[3], and more complex asymmetrical shapes are created by using marked ropes as straight edges to position elements.
Many popular arguments hinge on some part of the crop being left intact after the hoaxing. Skilled crop circle creators are adept at using tractor tramlines and landscape features to avoid leaving other marks in the field.[15]
Crop circle designs
Early examples were usually simple circular patterns of various sizes. But after some years, more and more elaborate and complex geometric patterns emerged. In general, the early formations (1970 - 2000) seemed to be based on the principles of sacred geometry. Later formations, those occurring after 2000, appear to be based on other principles, natural sciences and mathematics designs, including fractals. Many crop circles have fine intricate detail, regular symmetry and careful composition. Elements of three-dimensionality became more frequent, culminating in spectacular images of cube-shaped structures.
After the public admission of the original creators, crop circle activity skyrocketed. Each new design sought to be more complex than earlier designs. Today crop circle designs have increased in complexity to the point where they have become an art form in and of themselves.

I have more and will post it later.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2007 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

Crop Circle Confession
How to get the wheat down in the dead of night
By Matt Ridley

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00038B16-ED5F-1D29-97CA809EC588EEDF

I can’t find any pictures of crop circles that Matt Ridley claims to have made.  If his circles are so great and he wants to use them as proof that all circles are fake shouldn’t he be sticking the pictures in our faces rather than just talking?

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/cropcirc1.htm

I saw the video of Doug and Dave back in the 90’s.  Anyone can sneak out and make 10 crummy circles and claim to have made 100.  There can be idiots and liars and charlatans on both sides of an issue.  If someone claims to have made REALLY GOOD crop circles then it shouldn’t be difficult for them to prove it by making something like this while people watch.

[can’t get Fig. 3.11 ‘Julia Set’, Stonehenge, Wiltshire, 7 July 1996.]

I haven’t payed attention to crop circles since the 90’s until starting reading this thread.  I had no idea about the 1000 footer from 2001.  But I don’t have a problem with not knowing the cause.  I am not going to accept a shallow excuses just to have something to believe.  Let’s see the people claiming they can make them do a good one.  I am not going to lose any sleep over not knowing.

Investigators endorsing a non-human origin for some crop circles

Colin Andrews has published a book entitled Crop Circles, Signs of Contact, claiming that “based on our research, I concluded that approximately 80 percent of all the crop circles we investigated in England from 1999 through the year 2000 were manmade. This was one of the most important research findings to date because it cut to the core of what is truly important: the remaining 20 percent of the crop circles showed no sign of human hands.”[3] This claim has been contested by the CSICOP, which notes that some of the alleged 20% ‘genuine’ crop circles have been documented as man-made and there is no reliable criterion for distinguishing between ‘genuine’ crop circles and those that are man-made. [19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_circles

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 08 August 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

Here is more info on them:

Alternate origin theories
There are alternative theories that say some crop circles are in fact not created by humans. Because many circles occur in the Avebury area of southern England, near ancient sites such as earth barrows or mounds, white horses carved in the chalk hills, and stone circles, it has been hypothesised that crop circles are of paranormal origin. Other ideas on the formation of crop circles have included tornadoes, freak wind patterns, ball lightning, and “plasma vortices”. These plasma vortices are best described as “small, local whirlwinds of ionized air.” [16] A number of witnesses say they have observed circles being created, saying that it takes only a few seconds and the corn falls flat like a fan being opened. [17] Some believe that crop circles are created by extraterrestrials, either as a means of communication or as an effect of spacecraft engines’ heat. Cereologists say that the formations could not be created by hoaxers because of the manner in which the vegetation is bent, and not broken. In addition, cereologists point to deformations in the ‘nodes’ (joints) of the plant stalks. They say that in true crop circles, these nodes have shown swelling deformities and rupture holes which have only been recreated in the lab using microwaves. Cereologists believe that these holes are caused by the rapid heating and expulsion of the plants’ internal moisture. [18]
Criticism of alternative theories
The main criticism of these alternative theories is that evidence of paranormal origins, besides eyewitness testimonies, is scant. Crop circles are usually easily expicable as the result of human pranksters. There have also been cases in which researchers declared crop circles to be “the real thing”, only to be confronted soon after with the people who created the circle and documented the fraud (see above).[21] Many others have demonstrated how complex crop circles are created. [22][23] [3]
Carl Sagan discusses the phenomenon of alien-based theories of crop circle formation in his book, The Demon Haunted World. Sagan writes that no saucer has actually been seen, and no geometric figure has been filmed in the course of being generated. He also cites, as an example of a known cause of crop circles, the human agents Doug Bower and Dave Chorley. Sagan states that no supernatural, paranormal, or alien cause should be attributed to crop circles, in the light of the available evidence.[24]
Some key arguments which contradict paranormal explanation are as follows: The geographic distribution of crop circles was originally focused on a rather small portion of Southern England. As media coverage of the crop circles increased throughout the 1980’s and 1990’s, the frequency at which crop circles appeared also increased, as well as the number of locations they were sighted in (see positive feedback). This leads many to believe that the creation of crop circles became a ‘copy-cat’ activity. The argument can however be challenged on scientific grounds, since there is little documentation of circles prior to this, and their frequency and distribution is, therefore, unknowable.
As time passed, the patterns of crop circles increased from simple circles to significantly larger and more elaborate shapes. In 1990, ‘pictograms’, or even more complex shapes began to appear in fields (although there is some evidence of them in prior decades). This increase in complexity seems to point towards individuals of varying talent creating crop circles and slowly becoming more skilled as time progressed.
Finally, critics point to what they call the ‘shyness factor’. This alludes to the fact that no crop circle makers have been caught in the act. This assertion is not true however, and there are cases of circle makers being apprehended, including one high-profile case in 1998 when a circle was made for the media and the makers interrupted when seen in the act. In most cases, it appears that the creation of crop circles is a nocturnal activity. If UFOs or extraterrestrial visits were the source of crop circles, these visitors would perhaps be sighted at the scene of the crop circles. Usually nothing is reported, and during one attempt to observe the creation of a crop circle, numerous individuals witnessed nothing out of the ordinary, yet were astounded to see a crop circle in the field 500 yards away from the one they had been watching the next morning.[16]
Local response to crop circles
In most cases, the response to the appearance of a new crop circle is one of enthusiasm. The owners of the field are often quick to capitalize on the apparent damage to their crop. Many farmers have turned the phenomena into tourist attractions; including bus and helicopter tours, t-shirts and book sales. Patrons include curious tourists, locals, and individuals seeking a spiritual experience by praying to and communing with spirits. [25]
In 1996 a circle appeared near Stonehenge and the farmer set up a booth and charged a fee. He collected £30,000 (U.S. $47,000) in four weeks. The value of the crop had it been harvested was probably about £150($235).[26]

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2007 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-07-28
mckenzievmd - 21 June 2007 07:34 PM

I’m with Doug on this one. Can’t imagine anything more nonsensical than the idea that extraterrestrial civilizations come to earth because we just have the prettiest corn and wheat for drawing in in the whole sector.  rolleyes

Extraterrestrials? Centuries ago the crop circles were assumed to be made by the devil!!!

http://www.leylijnen.com/cropcircles.htm

7 of 8