1 of 3
Aren’t we all just Spock?
Posted: 23 June 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Here we all are with our over-reliance on logic instead of emotional or hysterical overreactions to stuff.  Surely (a word that usually indicates that I’m about to come out with a preposterous statement), Gene Roddenberry had us figured out when he wrote star trek.  I’m going to start using “I do not understand, Doctor” in some of these threads; see if I don’t.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 23 June 2007 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

On high school I was knew as ‘Mr Spock’. Of course, it felt proud of it. grin

Posted: 23 June 2007 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I think you (Narwhol) misunderstand the function of the character.  Roddenberry used Spock to show both the value and power of logic and the problems with undervaluing emotion. 

We must be careful not to allow either to overwhelm the other or to substitute for the other.  Emotion motivates me to solve the problems in my life, and logic is the method (driven by but not biased by emotion) used to solve those problems.  Certainly logical analysis would be out of place when one is in the midst of a strong pleasurable sexual episode, but emotion would be just as much out of place when calculating one’s income tax (assuming one is ethical and honest). 

Occam

Edited to clarify to whom the post was directed, and to correct a typo.

[ Edited: 23 June 2007 04:54 PM by Occam ]

Posted: 23 June 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I guess I was clear showing the contradiction between been associated with a ‘emotion-less’ character and being proud (certainly, an emotion) of it, but now I realize I wasn’t. Anyway, Spock was not absolute emotionless. He has a kind of internal struggle, clear when he dies.

Posted: 23 June 2007 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

No Spock was not absolutely emotionless.  I was known as Nurse Chapel though.  LOL  Now everyone on the Trek boards and Cons see me as Lwaxana.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 June 2007 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4065
Joined  2006-11-28

Yeah, a common misconception is that believing science and reason are the best tools for evaluating truth implies one doesn’t have or respect feelings. As Occam said, emotion is a motivator, a driver, and a source of pleasure (and, of course pain). It is an essential part of what we are. But so is reason, and the struggle between them is part of the essence of the human experience. I think Spock was intended to mock a certain overcerebral worship of intellect, but he was also there to reign in Kirk and McCoy when the got too hot to think straight. Call him the superego, if you like Freud’s metaphors better. Frankly, I’m certain this board is not without emotion and hysteria from time to time! But I think it functions best when reason guides discussions. Of course, by it’s nature the discussion that goes on here is more like figuring your taxes than having sex, so the primacy given to reason is appropriate. But don’t assume it is representative of us as whole people, just the part we play here.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 24 June 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

Life without emotions (or only half-emotions, in Spock’s case) would not be a fun life.  I think I am more like Han Solo than Spock:

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

“I’ve flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff. But I’ve never seen anything to make me believe that there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There’s no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny.”

Han could think AND love!  That’s got Spock beat.

http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw2/force_skeptics.html

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 24 June 2007 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-06-17
Occam - 23 June 2007 04:52 PM

I think you (Narwhol) misunderstand the function of the character.  Roddenberry used Spock to show both the value and power of logic and the problems with undervaluing emotion.

Oh come on, you know me better than that by now.  Employing your famous razer, would it not be a better explanation to say that you think I’m just being contraversial, captain?

[ Edited: 24 June 2007 01:57 PM by narwhol ]
 Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 24 June 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh brother.  rolleyes  There is more to Trek than just Spock. Even TOS was more than JUST Spock.  It was also about striving to better ourselves and humanity.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 June 2007 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-06-17

All I get from Trek is those cringeworthy three-way conversations between Spock, Kirk and Bones with their sledgehammer incidental “this is the amusing bit” music at the end of each episode.  Those alone are worth the ticket price.

The next generation was a waste of time- bloody social workers of the galaxy.  Couldn’t they have just once - JUST ONCE - beamed down to a planet full of friendly cute fluffy things, set phasers to kill and gone all out for it?

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-06-24

Recently I was watching the first season of TOS, and several of the episodes feature text commentary by Michael Okuda.  During one of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes, Okuda says that Spock was the voice of logic,  McCoy the voice of humanistic emotion, and Kirk the wise captain who used both to make informed decisions. The “humanistic” part caught my eye. In The Galileo Seven,  things go wrong when Spock tries to rely only on logic to make command decisions. It’s amazing how overtly Gene’s philosophy comes out in those episodes.

Signature 

“Let me whisper in all your ears: Infidelity is not dying—it
is growing—it increases every day. And what does that prove? lt
proves that the people are learning more and more—that they are
advancing—that the mind is getting free, and that the race is
being civilized.” - Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 24 June 2007 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

His humanistic philosophy comes out in TNG too.  smile

Narwhol, I hardly think it was a waste of time, but then again, I’m a die-hard Trekker and dearly love the Roddenberrys.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 24 June 2007 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2007-06-08

narwhol wrote:

The next generation was a waste of time- bloody social workers of the galaxy.  Couldn’t they have just once - JUST ONCE - beamed down to a planet full of friendly cute fluffy things, set phasers to kill and gone all out for it?

Ever seen “The Trouble with Tribbles” episode?

STTroubleTrib.jpg

“Its life, Jim, but not as we know it.”

[ Edited: 24 June 2007 04:38 PM by Pragmatic Naturalist ]

Posted: 24 June 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-06-17

I have, but I still think they could have turned the situation to their advantage had they had an abbatoir and a butcher aboard.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2007 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’m often fascinated listening to political conservatives and liberals or theists and non-theists speak.  Each of them seems certain that the other is either crazy or putting them on, because they know that no one could really have such ridiculous beliefs.  It’s hard, almost impossible, for people with widely divergent philosophies to even communicate.  I get the feeling that that’s the case between narwhol and both Mriana and me. 

Occam

Posted: 24 June 2007 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
narwhol - 24 June 2007 05:40 PM

I have, but I still think they could have turned the situation to their advantage had they had an abbatoir and a butcher aboard.

That is just sick.  :(  Those little guys are too cute for that, besides,  that would be inhumane!

Signature 

Mriana

1 of 3