2 of 3
Aren’t we all just Spock?
Posted: 24 June 2007 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17
Occam - 24 June 2007 05:58 PM

I’m often fascinated listening to political conservatives and liberals or theists and non-theists speak.

you’re not usually this verbose, you can lose the redundancy by substituting the words that succeed listening to with the collective noun: just about anyone.

Each of them seems certain that the other is either crazy or putting them on, because they know that no one could really have such ridiculous beliefs.  It’s hard, almost impossible, for people with widely divergent philosophies to even communicate.  I get the feeling that that’s the case between narwhol and both Mriana and me. 

Occam

Mriana has seen eye-to-eye with me on a number of issues already.  I think its partly that you can’t always read when I’m being sarcastic (I like it that way so I’ll carry on with it) and are a fairly serious minded chap who perhaps values that aspect of my character less than I do.  However, there are fundemental differences in our belief systems too.  What it mostly boils down to is that I’m not a humanist and don’t see things that way.  I can see that you make some good arguments sometimes and there’s a lot that you say that I’m broadly in agreement with, but in the minor and fairly trivial areas I don’t tend to agree with you so far, nor you with me.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 24 June 2007 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02

Mriana has seen eye-to-eye with me on a number of issues already.

I have?  I didn’t notice.  I am a Humanist though, so I’m a bit surprised you say that.  I think I disagreed quite a bit.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 June 2007 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-06-17
Mriana - 24 June 2007 06:41 PM

I have?  I didn’t notice.  I am a Humanist though, so I’m a bit surprised you say that.  I think I disagreed quite a bit.

You are and you have; however, we have.  We both take similar approaches to the question of whether Jesus existed or not, and occasionally demonstrate that we have similar views on the Abrahamic religions.

[ Edited: 24 June 2007 07:20 PM by narwhol ]
 Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 24 June 2007 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-06-17

deleted

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2007 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
narwhol - 24 June 2007 07:14 PM
Mriana - 24 June 2007 06:41 PM

You are and you have; however, we have.  We both take similar approaches to the question of whether Jesus existed or not, and occasionally demonstrate that we have similar views on the Abrahamic religions.

OK I’m still confused on how we take similar approaches on religion.  Are you saying we both fight fire with fire?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 June 2007 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19
Mriana - 23 June 2007 06:21 PM

No Spock was not absolutely emotionless.  I was known as Nurse Chapel though.  LOL  Now everyone on the Trek boards and Cons see me as Lwaxana.  :D

Well, that’s very good. I thinked the fact Spock ignored Chapel was not a show of his lack of emotion, but was a show of his lack of inteligence to deal with the opposite sex grin

Posted: 25 June 2007 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-06-17

The very nature of reason is a guarantee that it would not fail to concede to human emotions and to all that is determined by them the position to which they are entitled. - Freud

Posted: 25 June 2007 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I coulnd resist to post that (since I live in one of the two countries where Freud theory is still taken seriously in the academic world): is it another Freud’s guess or it has, as opposite to the rest of Freud construction, evidence in reality?.

Posted: 25 June 2007 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-06-17
rsonin - 25 June 2007 10:59 AM

The very nature of reason is a guarantee that it would not fail to concede to human emotions and to all that is determined by them the position to which they are entitled. - Freud

A quote that wouldn’t sound out of place if said by Spock.  And if you think this one is spock-esque, you ought to hear how he analyses humour - Holy Christ! I mean, just enjoy the show and laugh in all the right places - just anything but the way Freud analyses it.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I actually met Leonard Nimoy when he came to Starfest this year and told him that I admired him and that Vulcans like him were one of the reasons why I liked logic so much.

Me: I’ve always admired Spock and all the Vulcans in Star Trek. Because of that, I have always valued logic a lot.
Leonard: And why do you like logic?
Me: Because… it’s logical.

Anyway… I asked him if he would be offended if because a lot of people admired him a lot of people became cold and rational.  tongue laugh We had a short discussion about emotions and he finally said “I think it’s important to have a balance.

So… here’s my philosophy. Do not make decisions based on your emotions, but on logic. But, do not rid yourself of all emotions. Keep the good ones like joy.

And to prove that I saw him…

IMG_0245.jpg

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 25 June 2007 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Psychopaths commit crime and don’t feel any remorse. Logically they know they had done wrong. Emotionally, however, they don’t feel any regrets.

So… here’s my philosophy. Do not make decisions based on Star Trek… wink

Posted: 25 June 2007 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

IT’S MR. SPOCK!

Leonard Nimoy:  I am not Spock.  Oh wait, I am Spock.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 29 June 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2005-01-14
narwhol - 24 June 2007 02:45 PM

The next generation was a waste of time- bloody social workers of the galaxy.

This comment reminds me of a cartoon I saw during the heyday of Next Generation.  The first panel shows a close up of Riker and Troi.  Troi is saying (with an exaggerated aristocratic sneer) “I’m sensing aggression, probably brought about by loneliness, and YOUR hostile attitude is not helping at all.”  The next panel pulls back to reveal that they are both clutched in the fists of a massive, King Kong-type monster which is carrying them off into the jungle, and Riker is saying, “For crying out loud, Dee!  I just want to stun the thing and get back to the ship!”

But sarcasm, this “social workers of the galaxy” attitude is exactly what attracted many of us.  The Next Generation came as a reaction to increasingly violent movies and TV shows in the 90s, and its reflects the idea that trying (at least TRYING) to understand the reasons for a conflict is a whole lot more productive in the long run than simply kicking open the doors and shooting everything in sight!

Posted: 29 June 2007 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2007-06-17

I’ll agree with that last statement.  However, I don’t want to see people being nice on my television screen.  I want to see them kick the doors open and shoot everything in sight.  It gets it out of my system and saves me taking my Kalasnikov to the shopping mall in a sports holdall. Or perhaps, if not shooting everyone in sight, they could at least have the decency to carry out just one indescribably brutal act of torture. Surely it’s not too much to ask.

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

What the Borg and other villians weren’t enough for you?  Personally, I enjoy seeing people being nice to each other.  There is enough violence in real life- just watch the news, if you don’t think so.  I don’t want to see it on TV.  Brutal acts of torture was NOT Gene.

Signature 

Mriana

2 of 3