3 of 3
Aren’t we all just Spock?
Posted: 29 June 2007 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Since you live in England, narwhol, I’m surprised that you haven’t bought a small used automobile, loaded it with ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel, and driven it to the middle of your campus.  Or were the two vehicles they found today, yours?  After all, there are those who claim real life violence is no substitute for TV violence (or is it the reverse?).

Occam

Posted: 29 June 2007 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Now, now, Occam, be nice.  wink

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 June 2007 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Yeah I thought I was a good American inured to A**-kicking on television long ago. DOn’t watch much now days since I’m too busy and have a young child. Was at a hotel dfor a few days and flipping through the channels—Oh Your God! The nature shows are people running through the bush trying to see if they can piss the lions off enough to eat them or get killed by poisonous snakes. Then there’s Ultimate Fighting. Or all the crime dramas with detailed recreations of how people got wacked. The biter backbiting and soap-opera pissiness of the “reality” shows…. TV has done the impossible and become even crappier than I could have imagined.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 29 June 2007 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I know.  I hardly ever watch TV now days.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 June 2007 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17
Occam - 29 June 2007 09:04 PM

Since you live in England, narwhol, I’m surprised that you haven’t bought a small used automobile, loaded it with ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel, and driven it to the middle of your campus.  Or were the two vehicles they found today, yours?  After all, there are those who claim real life violence is no substitute for TV violence (or is it the reverse?).

Occam

Hey keep quiet about that! I haven’t been caught yet.

I’d say this all comes down to consumer choice.  To be honest, the only things I tend to watch on TV tend to be comedy shows.  I love family guy.  Other than that, I tend to watch cheap nasty horror films on DVD most of the time.  I wouldn’t want to get rid of all of the programs about people being nice to each other of the TV (e.g. Dawson’s Creek, etc.); partly because I tend to be out doing stuff when those are on and wouldn’t want to have to interact with the kind of people who can sit through an hour of that kind of thing, and partly because it would go against the idea of consumer choice.  To those who talked about the stuff off the news, I suggest you will get a distorted view of how much violence there is in everyday life if you watch it too often.  Try, if you can, to dwell on all those times when you’ve walked down the street without getting punched in the face - it’s a nice, friendly, caring society I’m living in over here, and a nice enough world with one or two fairly major problems too.  I think my view on it is reasonably balanced.  Part of that niceness involves the creative genius of films such as the original version of the Texas chainsaw massacre, the Asian horror films, and a large number of others I could mention.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 30 June 2007 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I didn’t say life is like the news, I said the news has a lot of violence.  That’s all they report, aside from news and sports.  They rarely report anything good that happens in the world, which I know happens every day. The news doesn’t find it news worthy though.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 June 2007 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I tend to watch CNN International and BBC to excersice my english. Taking into account this two channels (I don’t have another english spoken news channel here ) I’d say you don’t know what a bloody news show is. Seriously. The south american TV is worst than european or north american tv: the same terrible ideas but with much less money, which forces the producers to be more bloody and ugly to keep audience atention.

I enjoy cheap horror movies too. I enjoy on TV or movies this kind of violence that couldn’t be possible on real life. I love horror movies with demons, vampires, monsters and this things.

Posted: 02 July 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2005-01-14
Mriana - 29 June 2007 03:28 PM

What the Borg and other villians weren’t enough for you?  Personally, I enjoy seeing people being nice to each other.  There is enough violence in real life- just watch the news, if you don’t think so.  I don’t want to see it on TV.  Brutal acts of torture was NOT Gene.

I completely agree with Mriana!  I watch Star Trek to escape from the brutality of reality, and possibly to hope for a better future.  That’s why all those episodes dealing with high-tech terrorism leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted: 02 July 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I watch sci-fi for the same reason.

Life sucks.

Well… ok… I’m not that emo, and I would hate myself if I were emo because I believe that the true emo is a myth like Big Foot, Atlantis, or the unbiased journalist.

But either way, whenever I get out of school after a long day spent with a bunch of evil little brats, creationists, or bullies, the first thing I want to do is turn on the TV, pop in one of my many DVDs, sit on the couch for hours at a time, get fat, pretend I’m in a better world, and lose myself.

This, to me, is a very, very good time. tongue laugh

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

3 of 3