St Narwhol’s guide to bankrobbery
Posted: 25 June 2007 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Given that atoms are mostly empty space, and that things only feel solid because of gamma particles exchanging between the electrons at the extremities of (say) your hand and (say) the wall of a bank.  I reckon the coolest way to rob a bank would be to irradiate yourself with the correct frequency of gamma radiation in exact antiphase to the exchange particles responsible for the repulsive force that would normally stop the matter the makes up an object like say your body from just passing straight through another object like (just off the top of my head here) the wall of the bank building.  Then you could just walk straight through.  So far the problems I can see are that (a) you wouldn’t be able to get back out and (b) You would pass straight through the ground and either end up stuck with part of your legs begining to resolidify half way through the pavement and your no longer solid body still descending into them or continue all the way to the earth’s core, since gravity isn’t thought to be electrodynamic.  Anyone else see any problems with this otherwise perfect plan or any ways of getting around these two problems?

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 26 June 2007 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Ooof, a bit beyond my capacities to respond cogently! But that said, I don’t think you’d really want to become a “ghost” for very long. Interacting with solid objects is actually pretty useful ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 June 2007 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-06-17

that and cohesion too

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 27 June 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07
dougsmith - 26 June 2007 08:57 AM

Ooof, a bit beyond my capacities to respond cogently! But that said, I don’t think you’d really want to become a “ghost” for very long. Interacting with solid objects is actually pretty useful ...

Indeed. You still need to grab all the money. :-p

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 27 June 2007 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-06-17
logicisrefreshing - 27 June 2007 01:49 PM
dougsmith - 26 June 2007 08:57 AM

Indeed. You still need to grab all the money. :-p

Once you’re out of the beam, you will resolidify due to the lack of cancellations (if that’s not a double negative)

However, you still have to get out.  Best way I can think of is to irradiate a duplicate of the machine and pass that through the wall of the bank before you go in.  However, how do you get it to move throught the wall of the bank given you’ve got no solid to hold onto and nothing to push against?

Signature