2 of 2
Zeitgeist the Movie
Posted: 20 September 2008 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2008-09-19

Evidence ? .. Read the bible, that book was around for 2000 years, it tells you all you need to know about “God” and Atlantis.

2000 years ago i don;t think they knew anything about fictional writing. The only problem with the bible is that it is heavily misinterpreted and if you read it carefully and pay attention you could actually make sense of what happened 2000 years ago.

Posted: 20 September 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2008-06-20

I’m going to end my part in this conversation right here.

Signature 

I’m not sayin’....
I’m just sayin’....

Posted: 20 September 2008 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Icedbullet77 - 20 September 2008 08:56 AM

Evidence ? .. Read the bible, that book was around for 2000 years, it tells you all you need to know about “God” and Atlantis.

2000 years ago i don;t think they knew anything about fictional writing. The only problem with the bible is that it is heavily misinterpreted and if you read it carefully and pay attention you could actually make sense of what happened 2000 years ago.

Atlantis was a fiction created by Plato. It has nothing to do with the Bible.

How do you know that the people 2000 years ago (actually more like 2500-3000 years ago) “didn’t know anything about fictional writing”? Are you claiming that unlike people today, people 3000 years ago were incapable of making up fables? Why? How do you know?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 September 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-09-18

I’ve shown this movie to several of my friends, one of whom re-examined his whole outlook on religion because of it.  If it worked to enlighten just one person, the movie’s first act in particular is well worth it.

I personally don’t like the tenuous links between the obvious hypocrisy and historical inaccuracies of religion, being used to segue 9/11 into the second act - but I found the third act fascinating, if a little skewed.

For a really powerful documentary on world economics, that doesn’t resort to unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, search Google video for ‘The Trap’, by Adam Curtis.

Signature 

Can I include your ‘why I’m an atheist’ story in my book?  Mail me or visit my blog, http://howgoodisthat.wordpress.com

Posted: 20 September 2008 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Read the Bible.  Interesting you say that, but the thing is, you could read older religious texts and find similar stories.  The stories are nothing but human concepts about “God”, set to various cultures.  I do believe they did know about fictional writing for not all of them took them as literally as you may think.  For example, the Gnositics considered Christ’s resurrection a spiritual resurrection and not a literal resurrection.  Christ was not a literal manifestation, but rather a spiritual one.  They also considered him as being a spiritual manifestation and not a literal one.  Docetists did not take as a literal resurrection either nor did they view Christ as having a literal physical body- it only seemed like it suffered on the cross.  So, I do think they did have a sense of fiction even back then, esp if they did not view the texts as describing a literal manifestation of the “anointed saviour”.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 September 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

2000 years ago i don;t think they knew anything about fictional writing.

This demonstrates your complete lack of knowledge.  Haven’t you heard of Aristophanes, Euripides, Aeschylus, and Sophocles, Greeks who wrote great fiction most between 500 and 400 B.C.?  I suggest you spend about six years taking university courses in science, literature, and philosophy before you continue on your fairytale path.

By the way, “I am a man of few words, but the wisest few words you will ever hear” demonstrates your that ego is surpassed only by your fantasies of self.

Occam
Edited to correct a typo.

[ Edited: 20 September 2008 01:36 PM by Occam ]

2 of 2