2 of 10
Is cellphone radiation dangerous? Does it cause cancer? (Merged)
Posted: 05 July 2007 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

The EM may be safe, but wow watch out for the power pack! http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=2677

Posted: 05 July 2007 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19
Occam - 05 July 2007 07:03 PM
Barto - 05 July 2007 12:00 PM

4 teslas is the magnetic induction produced by an hydrogen bomb?. I didn’t know.

I’m sorry, Barto.  I was being ironic (some would say, sarcastic).  Since I’m not a physicist I haven’t the vaguest idea of the size or power of a Tesla unit.  What I was saying was that it might be extremely powerful or exteremely small, but that people reading the article don’t know what power it is, or even what a Tesla represents.  Still, they say, “Aha, I’ve been exposed to 4 Teslas.  That explains why . . . .(whatever their ailment is).”

Occam

That’s OK wink. Sometimes I tend to be very naive.

Well, 4 Teslas is a terrible terrible terrible magnetic induction (trying to find what you said I was trying to understand what is know about the h-bomb design grin ). For instance, the earth magnetic field is meassured in micro tesla. I think I remember that a magnetic resonance equipment could reach a few teslas.

I am not a physicist too. I am a software engineer… why a software engineer should knows about physics?. Well. here we *love* the long careers with unrelative topics to almost any professional. I still don’t understand why I should study electromagnetism, solid state physics and so on. But it was a must to get my title…

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Barto, very little of what I learned in other courses in school from elementary through unniversity was necessary for me to perform as a chemist.  However, all of the music, literature, biology, physics, political science, psychology, philosophy, even physical education (and the required Reserve Officer Training Course as a horrible example), and others I can’t think of off-hand have done a great deal to enrich my life and increase my understanding of the world and people. 

So, while physics isn’t strictly necessary to do your job as a software engineer, every different course you take will help you expand your mind and increase the vectors of joy you can derive from life.

Occam

Posted: 06 July 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

As a rough guide, an NMR, those old “draw the chart yourself” Nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers can run with a field of 4T.  Most of the modern ones are 10T and above.  They always have signs up in NMR departments warning you not to go in without a watch and certainly don’t go near them if fitted with a pacemaker.  However, I’d say you’d have a reasonable chance of surviving one of the old 4 Tesla machines.

Disclaimer: in the event of death through pacemaker failure, taking Narwhol’s word for it can be regarded a very stupid decision and no liability in law will be accepted.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 06 July 2007 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19
Occam - 06 July 2007 12:58 PM

Barto, very little of what I learned in other courses in school from elementary through unniversity was necessary for me to perform as a chemist.  However, all of the music, literature, biology, physics, political science, psychology, philosophy, even physical education (and the required Reserve Officer Training Course as a horrible example), and others I can’t think of off-hand have done a great deal to enrich my life and increase my understanding of the world and people. 

So, while physics isn’t strictly necessary to do your job as a software engineer, every different course you take will help you expand your mind and increase the vectors of joy you can derive from life.

Occam

I am not complaining about learning this things… I enjoy the process of learning things. Also, I tried to understand by myself another things (as QM, for example), economy (I am trying to get a post degree on that) and so on. But since here the education is free (to the degree, you only have to pay postdegree studies), and we are not exactly a rich country, I think we could save some money and resources limiting this ‘marginal’ topics in the degree careers. So, to get a bachelor or a engineering degree you have programs of six years (very hard to finish on time, the expected time is of eight years) which sometimes seems to be a lot of resources for a underdeveloped country.

This has nothing to do with the joy of learning.I think there is so much to learn and very limited time…

Posted: 17 September 2008 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

It doesn’t seem reasonable to me and I’m not the only one who is skeptical. It is Intuitively obvious that cell phones do not cause cancer, the electromagnetic waves released are radio waves. Radio waves are low energy non-ionizing radiation your absorbing vastly higher amounts of radiation both in volume and in energy level by sitting next to a fire, being exposed to visible light, sitting on a heating pad, watching T.V. There is a lot of B.S. about what causes cancer, and the American public doesn’t know enough so they keep passing on wives tales. “Electromagnetic Force” or “EMF” has become a meaningless buzz word like “Toxins” or “Ions”.

According to Journal of The National Institute of Cancer “All known cancer-inducing agents—including radiation, certain chemicals, and a few viruses—act by breaking chemical bonds, producing mutant strands of DNA. Electromagnetic radiation is absorbed by molecules as discrete packets of energy called “photons.” The energy of a photon is determined by the wavelength; the shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy. Not until the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum is reached, beyond visible light, beyond infrared and far, far beyond microwaves, do photons have sufficient energy to break chemical bonds. It’s a little like trying to hit an object across a river with a stone. Even if your aim is poor, you might expect to hit the target now and then if you throw enough stones. But it won’t matter how many stones you throw if you can’t throw that far. Microwave photons heat tissue, but they do not come close to the energy needed to break chemical bonds, no matter how intense the radiation.”
(Oxford Journal Cellular Telephones and Cancer)

When you listen to the media here is what they say: Cell Phone Cancer

Watch out I’m gonna get you with my deadly EMF ray gun A.K.A a flash light Ahhh!  LOL

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, heating tissue can cause chemical changes, as we see when we cook something in a microwave oven, however, the amount of heating from a cell phone is almost certainly measured in tenths of a degree so it would be meaningless.

On the other hand, I’m not sure of the composition of cell phones.  I’d guess that there’s a fair likelihood of developing health probems, possibly even cancer if you eat enough of them.

Occam

Posted: 18 September 2008 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m still working on trying to eliminate that pesky dihydrogen monoxide from the world! It’s DANGEROUS stuff! LOL  LOL

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 September 2008 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

Here’s the key question ... would you agree to have a cellphone mast in your garden (suitably disguised as a tree of course) where your children play and your family relaxes.

The truth is I have absolutely no idea what the dangers, if any, might be but I would (at present) be reluctant to do so pending more evidence. It seems to me that where powerful forces are involved (and I understand from the thread that quite a lot of energy can be generated) there will be EM fields and EM have some effects.

Mind you I had all the electrons in my leg lined up last week, it was really bloody noisy ... suddenly I’ve been getting pains in my head LOL LOL

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 18 September 2008 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-10-22
asanta - 18 September 2008 08:49 AM

I’m still working on trying to eliminate that pesky dihydrogen monoxide from the world! It’s DANGEROUS stuff! LOL  LOL

Of course it is, asanta.  First, the name alone tells you it’s a probem.  Di, obviously a short form of die, and anyone knows that carbon monoxide is poisonous, and this has monoxide in it so it must be just as poisonous.  LOL  tongue rolleye

Occam

Posted: 18 September 2008 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 18 September 2008 06:06 PM
asanta - 18 September 2008 08:49 AM

Of course it is, asanta.  First, the name alone tells you it’s a probem.  Di, obviously a short form of die, and anyone knows that carbon monoxide is poisonous, and this has monoxide in it so it must be just as poisonous.  LOL  tongue rolleye

Occam

You’d be surprised at the number of people that don’t pick up on the joke! My son got it pretty quickly, as did I, but none of my coworkers figured it out until I pointed it out. Penn and Teller(on their show Bullsh**) had someone circulate a petition among avowed environmentalists to ban it——it quickly garnered many, many signatures. I’m sure I could put it on the ballet here in Ca and have it pass in a general election!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 October 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Michael Shermer has a good take on this issue in the new Scientific American. Read it HERE:

Can You Hear Me Now? The Truth about Cell Phones and Cancer
Physics shows that cell phones cannot cause cancer
By Michael Shermer October 4, 2010

<snip>

... [I]f the bonds holding the key molecules of life together could be broken at the energy levels of cell phones, there would be no life at all because the various natural sources of energy from the environment would prevent such bonds from ever forming in the first place. ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 October 2010 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4349
Joined  2010-08-15

Good article.
Alright then, just remember not to leave it in your shirt pocket next time you do any arc welding.

cgallaga - 05 July 2007 10:01 PM

The EM may be safe, but wow watch out for the power pack! http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=2677

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 18 October 2010 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05

Actually it is the radio waves from the cell phones scrambling people’s brains.

Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic

http://www.livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 18 October 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

That reminded me of something I received from an English friend a while ago.

Occam
===
Driving to the office this morning on the freeway, I looked over to my right and there was a woman in a brand new BMW doing 100 kilometres an hour with her face up close to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner!  I looked away for a couple of seconds and when I looked back she was half-way over in my lane still working on that makeup!

It scared me so much that I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the bacon roll out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten up the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my mobile from my ear, which fell into the coffee between my legs, causing it to splash and burn big Jim and the twins, causing me to scream, which made me drop the cigarette out of my mouth, ruined my shirt and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL.  Bloody Women Drivers!!

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 10