I don’t wanna lose my best friend,but what can I say?HELP!!!
Posted: 06 July 2007 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-07-05

Hi, I’m Kim,a Christian in South Korea.It’s nice to share our faith here.
About a week ago,my best friend Ben had an Intense argument with me. “Religion And Heresy”, a big Christianity magazine in our country,had published an article ” FaLunDaFa is the heresy with mysticism ” at Mid-June,which described his belief incorrectly and slandered his Master Li Irresponsibly.It made him wild with rage,and also confused him a lot. FaLunDaFa is neither a kind of religion,nor a branch of Christianity,but an association for taking exercise.He and his fellows practice FaLunDaFa just for keeping healthy. So The key problem is:What is Heresy? Why are they called “the heresy”?
I don’t know how to reply,therefore I want to see your appraisals:Do you know about FaLunDaFa?Do you agree to Religion And Heresy’s opinion? Does a kind of religion do have the power to criticize others,even to consider others as heresy?
Please help me,and my friend Ben.Thanks a lot!

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-05

Now I have been collecting materials and informations about FaLunDaFa for two weeks.Here is the latest news I found.
http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?t=4275

Ben used to be a good doctor,good husband,good father,and good friend.But now,he even rufused to take his sick daughter to the hospital.On the contrary,he forced his daughter to practise FaLunDaFa with him.

Posted: 06 July 2007 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

I am not familiar enough with this practice to know for certain if it qualifies as a religion or just a practice of exercise, however I believe that the former is more accurate. At any rate, a heresy for the Christian church is a teaching which in some way denies truths central to christianity ... if they feel that this is heretical, this is something you have to take up with them ...

Religious people have every right to criticize other peoples’ beliefs, as do atheists and agnostics. (And, demonstrably, religions have the power to criticize). Whether you accept their criticisms as valid is up to you ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 July 2007 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Its a mystical eastern kind of thing actually a modern mystical offshoot of Buddhism…kind of chi gong ish. But if you ask em a Christian getting on any other mysticism is just a pot calling the kettle black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong

But Kim, you seem to think this is a faith based group. That is certainly not true, so it is likely we will not see any special difference between your professed Christian faith and the faith of a Buddhist mystical cult. Shades of the same lip stick.

[ Edited: 06 July 2007 07:10 AM by cgallaga ]

Posted: 06 July 2007 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

While I was reading Kim’s post, I was thinking what cgallaga finally sayd: I see no diference between a religion an another. Sometimes I see diferences in the degree of commitment a certaing person has with his/her religion, but not in the religion itself. ‘Heresy’ is ussually the way religions used to call each others.

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-06-19

Usually what Levantine religions do. Pagans didnt *have* heresy trials or inquisitions, much less justify genocide in the name of some god. I dont see where Confucians, Taoists, or Buddhists did much of that either. When was the last time you saw a nation go to war in the name of Buddha? Asoka is the only one that comes to mind. Its been a while.

Christian, Jewish, & Islamic cults preach a lot of peace, but dont deliver on it. I would not belong to a religion that was so useful to demagogues.

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-06-19

[quote author=“dougsmith” date=“1183737961”

Religious people have every right to criticize other peoples’ beliefs, as do atheists and agnostics. (And, demonstrably, religions have the power to criticize). Whether you accept their criticisms as valid is up to you ...

When Polemus circulated his criticism of well known pagan prophets and clarics, people were just appalled. Only Christians did that sort of thing, which is why we now say “polemic”.

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Kim, even though Ben says it is not a religion, the fact that he believes so strongly in it that he imposes it on his daughter who is ill, indicates it’s a religion or a cult.

It is most important to be tolerant of the beliefs of others.  Try not to criticize his ideas.  Suggest that each person should be free to believe as he or she wishes, but that all should avoid forcing their faith on anyone else.  That means it is OK for him to believe as he does, but he should not prevent his daughter from getting medical attention because of his beliefs.

Almost all of on this website are agnostics or atheists as well as humanists.  We may feel that religious beliefs are wrong, but we don’t try to convert religious people to our ideas.  I think this is a worthwhile philosophy for everyone.  I hope your friend can accept that.

Occam

Posted: 06 July 2007 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

As an addendum to Occam’s post: we do, however, argue (sometimes fiercely) whenever you make a statement that we believe to be illogical or nonsensical.  We do this if we think your statement either: a) is contrary to scientific, historical or other philosophic evidence, or b) relies on a fanciful premise.  This will include any statement that satisfies those criteria, and we will not attenuate our arguments on the basis of you deciding that it offends your deity or religion.  This forum is for free-thinking and philosophy and few things are off-limits.  I hope you will endeavour to argue back with equal ferocity, creativity and logic - that way you will get the most out of this forum.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 06 July 2007 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Heresy as defined by the Catholic Church:  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07256b.htm

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 July 2007 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
daybrown - 06 July 2007 12:29 PM

When Polemus circulated his criticism of well known pagan prophets and clarics, people were just appalled. Only Christians did that sort of thing, which is why we now say “polemic”.

Sure. The “religions of the book” were perhaps the first truly jealous religions, who cared what the other religions said and fought against their ideas. That’s the world we’ve inherited, for good or bad ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 July 2007 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-07-05

I want to say “thank you” here for your opinions and advices.
Now I pray everyday,for my friend,and his family,cause it’s the only thing I can do…

‹‹ Sad new from Spain      My Trip to Buffalo ››