6 of 31
Babylon 5/Star Trek and Serious Sci-Fi about the Shape of Things to Come
Posted: 02 November 2007 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 02 November 2007 11:48 AM

Yes, Spock is a very passionate man and loves women- ie I, Mudd.  Watch Spock’s reaction to the women in that episode, and then try to say Spocky has no emotions.  LOL

Human women? Maybe he’s just faking it. It would only be logical, since human female wouldn’t return her affection unless she knew she was being loved.  :grin:

(But I haven’t seen the episode yet.)

Posted: 02 November 2007 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Now even I have to say that Mudd’s Women was one of the *worst* TOS eps ... URK.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 November 2007 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, but you do see Spocky smile and have some reaction out of him.  Actually, my older son likes Harry Mudd.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

The episode I was referring to began with Dr. Galen, Picard’s old archeology teacher showing up and wanting to have them go off on a search.  Picard declined so the teacher went off by himself.  His ship was subsequently destroyed.  It was found that there were about seven genetic clues leading to a planet.  The Cardasians, the Romulans, the Klingons, and the Humans all had parts of the puzzle.  When Data and Geordi figured it out, they and all the other ships descended on that place.  As they all stood, guns drawn, confronting each other, Dr. Crusher scraped a bit of lichen from a rock and added it to the seven in her tricorder.  The combined data from the genetics reprogrammed the tricorder and a hologram of a woman appeared.  She was bald, and had only earholes.  She wore a long white dress (a shift). 

She explained that millions of years ago they had evolved and searched the galaxy for other sentient beings but found none.  They, being extremely advanced, seeded many worlds that already had life on them with their own genetic material including DNA instructions to guide evolution toward their own species.  While each world incorporated some of their native genetics, they all developed into versions of this original sentient species.  As such, they were closer to each other genetically than, say humans are to chimps.  As such, they were able to mate.  However, the concept of all the different humanoid species there being related thoroughly upset them, especially the Klingons and the Cardasians.

So, I hope this takes care of disbelievers like George and Doug.  :tongue:

Sorry, Mriana.  I don’t recall that Spock was conceived in vitro.  I got the impression that his father and his mother were very close, and that included physically.

Occam
(Wordpad)

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

They were, Occam, but they could not conceive.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Sounds very von-Dänikenish, Occam. But I am still not following it. We still share 99% of genes with the chimps. Now, the chimps and the bonobos share 99.8% of genes and they are considered different species. And look how close they resemble each other! Klingons and humans would have to be genetically closer to each other than a chimp and a bonobo. If that was the case though, they would have to look very similar – which they don’t.

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Please, let’s do recall that this is all ... fiction.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Um… Yeah.  What Doug said.  George, I wouldn’t blow a brain cell over who can/cannot mate with who and why or why not on Star Trek.  While Gene was dead on with some of the technology, there is a reason for that- he did some research, but as for the people, Gene made them all up.  It would be nice though if there were some Betazoids out there some where though.  I’m not holding my breath on it though.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 02 November 2007 06:20 PM

LOL  LOL

Yes, I forgot about that for a moment…

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

NOW you tell me.

Occam

Posted: 02 November 2007 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

LOL  You’re funny, Occam.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 03 November 2007 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

That’s because Doug’s such a great straight man.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 03 November 2007 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

LOL  He can be sometimes.  wink

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 05 November 2007 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14
Mriana - 02 November 2007 11:48 AM

Yes, Spock is a very passionate man and loves women- ie I, Mudd.  Watch Spock’s reaction to the women in that episode, and then try to say Spocky has no emotions.

The only emotion I remember him displaying in “Mudd’s Women” was tolerant amusement at the way the other guys were drooling over the hot chicks.  On the other hand, he did seem to have quite an emotional attachment to a certain lady named Droxanne in “The Cloud Minders”.

As I said, the episode Occam is describing sounds like “The Chase”.  And the idea is that Cardassians, Klingons, Vulcans and humans do look similar in that they’re all humanoids—two legs, two arms, one head with two eyes, etc.

Posted: 11 November 2007 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  2279
Joined  2007-07-05

Yes, but it’s SCIENCE fiction so the ironies and contradictions are part of the fun.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

6 of 31

‹‹ Stargate -- a Lament      The Fountain ››