How Much of a Risk Would it Be…
Posted: 13 July 2007 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I saw this video of James Randi talking about Homeopathy…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=387650092279471061&q=james+randi+on+homeopathy&total=16&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

And I’ve been considering videotaping myself overdosing on homeopathic medicine and posting it on YouTube to debunk it and to amuse myself. So here’s the question(s):

1. Would it be entertaining?

2. How risky would it be, and what precautions can I take?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 13 July 2007 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Personally, I don’t think it would be entertaining, and also, you’ve missed the point of homeopathic medicine.  While the idea is irrational to me, as I understand it, they believe that the smaller the dose the more effect it has.  Therefore, if you overdosed, you would be going against their principles and wouldn’t prove anything.

Occam

Posted: 13 July 2007 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-28

Step 1) Drink a class of distilled water.

Step 2) die of an overdose of everything

Posted: 13 July 2007 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Homeopathic medicine should be pure distilled water, or sugar pills. Any “active” ingredients should have been diluted into nonexistence by the processes involved. The only danger I could see to trying such a thing is that there is no real regulation on what homeopaths do. So you do have to assume that the relevant homeopathic witch-doctor has actually done the required dilutions, and not (e.g.) taken a holiday that day.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 July 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

The idea might even backfire in that the quacks would argue that you’ve proved their snake oil to be far safer than conventional medicine. They constantly claim effect without side-effects, which no real medicine can claim, and being as resistant to logic as they are, they would likely see your stunt as confirmation of that point.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 13 July 2007 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-06-27

There is one important issue to remember: not all homeopathic “medicines” are diluted on water. Some are made in an alcoholic solution that, if ingested in great amounts (as you propose) could cause adverse symptons. Also, the distilled water is hypotonic, so it could cause damage to the gastric mucosae end, therefore, cause pain or vomits.

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2007 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Ha! Quite true, Stefano. But all that said, I did think that Randi’s stunt demonstration was apt, and rhetorically forceful.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 September 2007 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-05

So the more nothing there is in the water I drink, the more effect it has?

A homeopath who wants to commit suicide would presumably just drink clean water? Does this mean that to avoid overdoses they can only drink non-aqeous liquids? It all sound very complicated to me.

They must also be very confused about toxicology as well. How do you calculate the LD50 for something that kills you more the less there is of it? If their practices weren’t so damaging to real medicine, I’d say keep them around for entertainment value.

Signature 

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

‹‹ Scientific studies...      Personal advice ››