hello from michigan!
Posted: 13 July 2007 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-07-12

i’ve been listening to POI for awhile now, and i’ve finally joined the forums. i don’t even know where to begin, i’m so happy to find likeminded people, to enjoy a reality-based community.

i work as a chemist, holding degrees in chemistry and forensic science. i do love science, and i love to teach science, and i’ve found that i enjoy (and prefer) teaching “everyday” nonscientists about chemistry more than anything. i’ve always felt that people need to be more informed and need to understand more about the world around them. information makes us better consumers, voters, and citizens. science is everywhere and technology isn’t slowing down, and people won’t be able to avoid it.

POI has inspired me. to learn there are other people out there active in the community was amazing to me. when i heard about the science and the public master’s degree at SUNY, the wheels started turning. i discovered an interdisciplinary technology program at eastern michigan university that is going to allow me to tailor a MS degree to something along the lines of science education of the public, and public outreach, working with non-traditional learners, etc. i am so thrilled to have found this, i can’t describe it.

so i am going back to school to attend this program full time in the fall, and i’m bursting with eagerness. i want to make connections with this community and others i discover along the way. i want to learn as much as i can and apply all of that to helping to educate and better inform people about all kinds of science and tech issues—from pharmaceuticals, to reproductive rights, to food science, to stem cell research, to the environment, and so on.

i’m so happy to have finally joined. the posts i’ve read are amazing. this is a great community. i’m so glad to be apart of it! i’m looking forward to what’s to come.

Posted: 13 July 2007 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
ghost - 13 July 2007 08:08 AM

i enjoy (and prefer) teaching “everyday” nonscientists about chemistry

This is great to hear, Ghost! Welcome.

Posted: 13 July 2007 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent, ghost! The world needs more enthusiastic science teachers and public spokespeople for the scientific enterprise every day. Welcome and have at it!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 July 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Welcome Ghost, and enjoy!

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 13 July 2007 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Ghost.  Jump in and join the conversations.  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 July 2007 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-07-15

Glad to see im not the only one here from Michigan

Posted: 11 August 2007 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-06-15

And I guess that makes me the third Michigander around here.

Signature 

http://www.doubtcast.org
http://bathtubjeff.blogspot.com

“I asked God if it was a sin and He didn’t say anything.” ~Ernestine Rose

Posted: 18 November 2007 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-19

I guess that makes me #4. I can live with that.

[ Edited: 18 November 2007 01:40 PM by Jefferson Seaver ]
 Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan
jseaver@centerforinquiry.net