3 of 3
Someone please tell me that this isn’t real
Posted: 19 July 2007 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02
J Free - 18 July 2007 02:27 PM
Mriana - 18 July 2007 01:23 PM

I go to work and I loose count how many times the three fundies I work with bring up JC, in a 4-5 hour period, and how he did this or that in their lives and others- including mine.

But please don’t judge an area even if it is called ‘bible belt’.  I think there’s lots of great people here inspite of the title….  smile

Hey, I live in the U.S. Bible Belt.  I can judge it if I want and I judge the Fundies as insane nut bags who try to impose their beliefs on others and force conversion one way or the other and if you don’t convert, they are just plain cruel.  I can’t stand them.  mad

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I didn’t know that the leftist liberation theology had survived until the 80s. In the 70s it was popular over here, when we were one of the scenes of the ‘war against comunism’, which takes the form of militar goverment using nasty, cruel and genocidal methods to fight the leftist, some of them violent, but some not. The catholic church had not, again, a monolithic position: while the head was mainly supportative of the goverments, many of its members had a very courageous actitude against the goverment crimes. Of course, some of them didn’t. One of the most nasty members of the catholic church is facing a trial now because of his crimes against humanity. His name is Christian von Wernich, and as a former police chaplain he used to take part in torture session against prisioners.

Posted: 19 July 2007 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Barto,
Oscar Romero was a big hero to the folks I worked with when I was in high school in the early 80s, and JPII was very unpopular for, among other things, his clampdown on the leftist interpretations of Christianity in Latinoamerica.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

Brennen, JPII was unpopular over here because he seemed to be much more tolerant with right winged dictatorship than with left winged. I a way, I can understand him, because he was a victim from the comunist rulers of Poland. But here, we suffered the anti-comunist actions ( the ‘war on terror’ reminds me the ‘war on comunisn’, with its terrible things), so his confortable relations with latam military goverments is shocking.

Maybe you hear about Enrique Angelelli, and argentinian bishop murdered by militar goverment in 1976. His colleagues bishops never complain about his murder, coarsely disguised as a car accident (well, after a lot of bullet hited him, there was a car accident).

3 of 3