2 of 2
Criss Angel and the reality behind it.
Posted: 19 July 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
Barto - 19 July 2007 10:54 AM

Does Chris Angel claim that what he does is diferent from magician tricks?.

Disclaimers by magicians and mentalists don’t change the minds of some people. 

Disclaimer or not, some will accept it for what it is: Conjuring Entertainment using sleights and other forms of trickery.  While others, no matter what you tell them before, during or after the effect, will believe that what they saw you do was “real” magic that violates laws of nature.  Of the latter group they are usually divided up into two types: The New-Agers on the left who want desperately to do the same things themselves (but can’t figure out why all of their crystals, herbs and meditation won’t allow them to divine a thought-of card or bend cutlery with their mind); with the second half of people being the fundamentalists on the right who want to save you from the “dark powers” they are convinced you are meddling with.  The simple truth eludes them both.

[ Edited: 19 July 2007 01:37 PM by Rocinante ]
 Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02
J Free - 18 July 2007 03:19 PM
Mriana - 18 July 2007 01:10 PM

Trick three-  He had this woman pulled apart, like tug-o-war, into two halves, like she had been sawed in half.

I found this on
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/152624/criss_angel_and_half_a_woman/

The woman has been on the discovery channel, she was born a half woman
Baisically in all of angel’s TV stunts, everyone is in on it to make it look real, many of the so called spectators are in fact actors, The cameraman is always in on it and chris has many helpers that are in cahoots. Its sad sometimes that he lies blatantly on TV and says that these are “random” people he picked off the street. He never asks regular people, they are usually always young pretty well dressed actors…

If you watch some of his stuff on youtube or where ever, it does seem that everyone there is an actor.

Someone else mentioned regarding the above video that that lady could sure move fast on her arms after she was pulled apart and crawled away - like she was used to using them like that.

That was what we were watching on TV the other day.  Thanks J Free.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 July 2007 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

I would apply the “Get Real” test—if he could really do this, why isn’t he making big bucks as a surgeon?

Posted: 21 July 2007 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
advocatus - 20 July 2007 09:41 AM

I would apply the “Get Real” test—if he could really do this, why isn’t he making big bucks as a surgeon?

Because he makes more money as a magician; he is never on call; and instead of having to endure jokes about acting like god, he has people really thinking he has god-like powers!  LOL

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 24 July 2007 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Seriously though, think of the intricate surgery necessary to separate co-joined (so-called “Siamese”) twins.  It’s a highly specialized field, and it takes hours!  If he could do it in five minutes, wouldn’t that make him even more famous?

Posted: 24 July 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Not in the eyes of the public.  :grin:

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 24 July 2007 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Advocatus, that would be scary, esp if the conjoined twins were connected via the head and brain.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 July 2007 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

One of the kids from my school saw the video of Criss Angel walking on water and all that jazz, and showed it to me and another friend so we could try to figure it out. I was half right about him pulling the woman apart. I figured that the legs were fake.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 24 July 2007 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Reminds me of an old joke.  I’ll post it in the off-topic section.

Occam

Posted: 27 July 2007 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-06-11
Barto - 19 July 2007 10:54 AM

Does Chris Angel claim that what he does is diferent from magician tricks?.

No, he doesn’t. At least as far as i’m aware. He was a guest on Penn Jillette’s radio show, and Penn was talking about the tons of e-mails he’d gotten from people saying they believe that Criss Angel has real magic powers. Criss readily admitted that everything he does is a trick. To quote Criss Angel himself, “I do not believe that anybody has the ability to do anything that’s supernatural.” Penn also talks regularly about magicians who have worked with Penn and Teller who also work with Criss Angel to develop his magic tricks. They’re all tricks.

Here’s a link to the Penn Radio episode where he first speaks to Criss Angel.  Mriana, you should play this for your son so he can hear it from Criss Angel himself. .

http://www.pennfans.net/view/Audio_Archive/PennRadio/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2006.02.07/

I should also mention that Criss Angel sells DVDs explaining how to to his levitation and other tricks. Show this to you son as well. I don’t think that you can learn magic powers from a DVD, and if he’s a reasonable kid he will probably agree.

Anyway, I really disliked Criss Angel before I heard him talk to Penn. Now that I know that he (at least as far as he’ll admit on the radio) doesn’t try to present himself as anything more than a professional magician it doesn’t bother me.

[ Edited: 27 July 2007 05:53 AM by brainlesssteel ]
 Signature 

“The language and concepts contained herein are guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business.”—Frank Zappa

Posted: 27 July 2007 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I asked because the ad for Chriss Angel show in TV are ambiguous, to say the least. Of course, he could be not responsible of the speach used to present his show on a spanish spoken tv chanel (A&E Mundo).

Posted: 01 August 2007 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2005-01-14
Mriana - 24 July 2007 01:42 PM

Advocatus, that would be scary, esp if the conjoined twins were connected via the head and brain.

It would be no scarier than yanking a woman apart, IF he could really do magic.  That’s how I can tell that magic doesn’t really exist—not because I dismiss it a priori, but because if it did, someone would have found a practical use for it to relieve human suffering instead of using it for cheap parlor tricks.

Posted: 02 August 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

That’s just it.  It is cheap parlor tricks and I’d like to know how he does the tricks so that I can tell my son that C.A. never did the things for real as he assumes C.A. did.  (OY!  rolleyes  that came out lamely, but hopefully everyone understands.)

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 02 August 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I recall when I was seven being brought to the local high school auditorium by my father to see about eight or ten magicians perform.  I was delighted with some of them, but one, in particular, was terrible.  Everything he did was so sloppy, even as a child I saw through.  The adult audience was pretty unforgiving, too. 

The greatest part of being a good magician is doing things that people can’t figure out and never telling them.  I don’t think you have any chance of learning what you want, Mriana.  The best argument was stated above.  If the person could really do that, why waste time on the stage when he could be making millions of dollars.  It’s sort of like the people who sell courses that promise teaching the customer how to become a millionaire in the stock market.  My question is: Why is the person who promises this, selling courses rather than making millions himself?”

Occam

Posted: 02 August 2007 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
Mriana - 02 August 2007 03:28 PM

That’s just it.  It is cheap parlor tricks…

“Tricks?”  Yes.  “Cheap?”  Not by a long shot. 

Mriana - 02 August 2007 03:28 PM

...and I’d like to know how he does the tricks so that I can tell my son that C.A. never did the things for real as he assumes C.A. did.

That’s not going to happen.  Magicians are not going to reveal their secrets.  And when laymen offer up their explanations, they are usually so way off base as to be funny by those truly in the know.  Besides, as I mentioned earlier, if he TRULY believes it is magic, no explanation will suffice. 

Doesn’t your son understand about magicians and that everybody realizes what we do is all just tricks, but to just enjoy the show anyway?

Like I posted earlier, show him the “un-cool” magicians doing the sawing in half with a buzz saw.  I’ll bet his enchantment with Angel has more to do with is gothic look and “street-creds” than his effects.  Once he sees a stodgy old fogy in a tux doing a similar trick, that might snap him out of it.  :grin:

Signature 

—James Madison

2 of 2

‹‹ Top 10 Thread      Before I die... ››