Glastonbury
Posted: 21 July 2007 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-09-02

This post is not intended to stir up emotions, quite the opposite, I am just relating a colourful event.

I was visiting friends in Glastonbury this summer.  This beautiful Somerset town is something of an oddball, as it is a centre of pagan community in UK.  I don’t have a great deal of sympathy for these people, though I respect that they are just searching for something the same as billions of other people are.  In the direct sense, they are peacable enough anyway.  My friends told me that before Christmas a Catholic youth group had been invited to the town, who apparently marched through the streets heckling pagans, spitting and throwing salt (hey, it works in that american series with the two demon fighting brothers “Ssupernatural”).  A quick google showed several articles confirming the episode.

I don’t want to encourage a tirade against Catholics, as am sure this would be an embarassment to a lot of them, just thought it was an interesting event in the year 2007 CE.

It turns out that the town council are not so dull; they realise the revenue they get from the pagans, so when the latter threatened to shut up shop and find somewhere else, they apparently moved to ensure this group of Catholics was never invited back.

Having said that, for anyone who has ever tried to buy something useful in the town centre which didn’t involve tie-dye, candles or healing crystals, then you might agree that their moving on might not be such a terrible loss.

We happened to be up the tor at the same time as the pagans celebrating (2 week searly by my reckoning) summer solstice.  The good news is that there was no wicker man.  The even better news is that they showed no obvious sign they would be engaging in an orgy any time soon..

Posted: 21 July 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Interesting story, popeth, especially in 2007, as you note ... grown men and women fighting over which figment of their collective imagination they should allow to guide them ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 July 2007 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

You didn’t happen to stumble upon the secret entrance to Merlin’s underground bunker, did you?  wink

[That was reference to Stargate SG-1, by the way, if you’re confused.]

Posted: 24 July 2007 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-09-02

:4)

We didn’t happen, no.  I’ll look out for it next time.

Posted: 24 July 2007 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

You didn’t happen to stumble upon the secret entrance to Merlin’s underground bunker, did you?  wink

[That was reference to Stargate SG-1, by the way, if you’re confused.]

LOL! tongue laugh

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 30 July 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-01-13

Is it only a coincidence that “Salt Unforgivably Set” is an anagram of Glastonbury Festival…?

Signature 

There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.