3 of 3
Immaculate Conception
Posted: 11 December 2007 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
GdB - 11 December 2007 12:27 AM

[quote author=“dougsmith” date=“1197326986]There is no report of any particular astronomical event around that time anyhow.

I object, my honour!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_bethlehem#An_Astronomical_Picture_or_Sign

It probably was pasted into the story later, of course, but because of the date (2 BC), the possible astrological meaning and the parallels with the story, I find it quite convincing. I presume the story was bent to fit the astrological constellation.

GdB

OY!  It’s just literature.  My point is, the priests were astrologists.  They did everything by the stars, including treating the ills of people.  Now you won’t find the medicine of the priestcraft in the story, but since the story is a series of midrashes from previous stories- one example being that of Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt with the baby Jesus to save him from the king.  This midrash goes back to Moses and Krishna, there could be more.  The author of Matthew borrowed from those two to make his story.  Now the star is also symbolism, but I can’t explain that well except to say Jesus is another Sun god.  Solstice is “sun stood still”.  It doesn’t really, but to the naked primitive eye…  Basically we are talking astrotheology when talk about the brightest star in the sky. Back then it could have been almost anything, but now days, we see Venus in our December night skies.

The date for Christ’s so called birthday, is only a pagan holiday, which is no surprise since Christianity is mostly pagan traditions.  I’m not going to get into a debate as to which previous pagan god was born when, because they too are also stories and it really doesn’t matter.  The thing is, to set the date on Yule after Mother Night, brought in pagans from other religions, which is what Rome wanted so it could have dominance.  It worked.  As for the star in the story, it’s just an astrological fictacious deal that works for the priestcraft and for years they could get away with pointing to Venus- which was also a Roman deity that lived in the “heavens”.

Is anyone following this or am I too vague?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 December 2007 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

When I was young and reading the Bible, I got confused between the two Marys and thought they were the same person.  I just thought that Mary Magdalene had suffered immaculate degeneration. 

Sorry (but not too :grin:).

Occam

Posted: 11 December 2007 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh yes, even then one could not walk into a room where there was not more than one Mary.  It’s too popular of a name.  rolleyes

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

3 of 3