Debating about FLG?Guide me please.
Posted: 26 July 2007 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-07-26

Quite a few threads occured these days about FaLunGong especially by correlating an essay of The South Korea . Have u ever heared about it or engaged in it ? It’s conception seems appeal to me in someway:)—Don’t u think it’s an opportunity to hold an interesting debate about it ? Share ur views here , no matter in any ways and any points.

Posted: 27 July 2007 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I’ve asked my mum, who’s chinese, about their philosophy.

Basically, same story with the Secret and What the Bleep… Willpower will make things really happen. If you get sick, don’t go see a doctor. Pray and you’ll get better. Some of their meditative practices have caused followers to do bodily harm to themselves. Because of a few deaths from that, the Chinese government banned it. I don’t know if that’s ethical or not, but there’s your cliff notes version.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 27 July 2007 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-07-26
logicisrefreshing - 27 July 2007 12:41 AM

I’ve asked my mum, who’s chinese, about their philosophy.

Basically, same story with the Secret and What the Bleep… Willpower will make things really happen. If you get sick, don’t go see a doctor. Pray and you’ll get better. Some of their meditative practices have caused followers to do bodily harm to themselves. Because of a few deaths from that, the Chinese government banned it. I don’t know if that’s ethical or not, but there’s your cliff notes version.

Many thanks ,logicisrefreshing , for u and ur mother—so she thinks it’s an evil cult right?
And one more question:Do the majority people around you have the same opinion like yours ?
I think its concept is unacceptable right now , as what is described from this url :http://www.christianforums.com/t5612194-the-south-koreas-church.html

Posted: 27 July 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Well, frankly, I don’t feel that I know enough about Fa Lun Gong to really have an opinion about it. The Chinese government certainly makes it seem like an evil cult but I have no reason to trust the Chinese government. Every religion’s going to have practices that cause harm, I think.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 31 August 2007 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-07-05

I don’t think Fa Lun Gong is more Credible than Chinese government.
A religion don’t tell people to fight against their government,but cults does.

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-08-29
kimseoul - 31 August 2007 03:37 AM

I don’t think Fa Lun Gong is more Credible than Chinese government.
A religion don’t tell people to fight against their government,but cults does.

Religions have certainly told people to fight against their governments. Look at Christianity in America, for example, challenging every ‘liberal’ or ‘progressive’ action with faith and dogma, calling on “God’s Warriors” to “Take back America for the Christians.” There are crazies amongst these camps who would be more than happy to take up arms in the name of their insanities.

Signature 

“Isn’t it enough to know that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it as well?” - Douglas Adams

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.” - Carl Sagan