i have to vent. (fundamentalist christian stuff).
Posted: 28 July 2007 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-07-12

i try to be tolerant. i really do. and i have no idea why or how i get sucked into these sites, but i just can’t stop reading this garbage:

top 100 fundie quotes

and one of the top entries that just set my blood boiling:

Interestingly, and sadly, all we see on the internet and in society today is talk about domestic violence; but NEVER do we hear anything about statistics on wives who refuse to obey their husbands. It is evil. It is just as sinful for a wife to frustrate her husband through insubordination and disobedience as it is for a man to commit domestic violence. I am not lessening the sin of domestic violence, I am emphasizing the sin of wives who rebel against their husbands by not being obedient. I realize this is ancient mentality to feminists today; but it is 100% Biblical doctrine. A wife is expected by God to obey her husband. Feminists are eagerly willing to crucify abusive husbands; BUT they won’t even address the issue of wives who disobey, mistreat, and frustrate their husbands. It takes two to tango.

Please understand that I believe a wife who is being physically abused should leave if she feels threatened; but not divorce. Such a wife needs to sincerely ask herself “why” her husband is being abusive—there’s ALWAYS a reason. ...”

David J. Stewart, Jesus-is-savior.com

i simply do NOT understand how anyone can hide behind some kind of curtain of “religion” and use it to justify the mistreatment of other human beings (or animals even), or to somehow argue in favor of hurting other people simply because theyre not following some 2000 year old storybook of supposed rules for life.

ARRRRGH. it makes me so grouchy i could spit.

hmph.

Posted: 28 July 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Grr…

Luckily most Christians don’t read the Bible and they usually don’t notice the parts that support unethical behavior. But then you’ve got the fundies, and you wonder why they don’t get regularly beaten up.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 28 July 2007 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

That site is hillarious; good find.  In defence of the fundies, however, I would say that nobody has done more to further support for secularism in the united states than they have.  More and more atheists are coming out of the woodwork each day as a result of fundies and they have done this in a way that no atheist ever could.  Hats off to them.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 28 July 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-07-12

logicisrefreshing: this is true. i have found that most christians don’t really read their fabulous storybook of truth… it seems the few i’ve talked to in any depth will latch onto one or two passages that they can easily remember but don’t know much else about their religion. ps: your signature gave me a good laugh that made me feel much better. so thanks smile

narwhol: touche. i have to admit that i have gotten so fired up over the years about the mindset in the US that “freedom of religion does not mean freedom FROM religion” that i’ve found the motivation within myself to start speaking out about my atheism and how important it is to me that (at the very least) the government recognize their own “separation of church and state” design. i just wish it was easier… call me a jackass, but these fundies remind me of cockroaches. once you see one, it’s only a matter of time before you realise they’re everywhere, even hiding in your couch cushions..

i guess that was my jerky statement of the night. heh.

Posted: 28 July 2007 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07
ghost - 28 July 2007 08:35 PM

logicisrefreshing: this is true. i have found that most christians don’t really read their fabulous storybook of truth… it seems the few i’ve talked to in any depth will latch onto one or two passages that they can easily remember but don’t know much else about their religion. ps: your signature gave me a good laugh that made me feel much better. so thanks smile

You’re welcome and thank you. smile

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 30 July 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh don’t get me started on fundies.  I have already posted my rant in two or three places today about something that happened.  I can go forever once I get into one of those moods.

No they do not read the Bible. They zombyish quote what they have been told without studying it for real, learn the actual deal is behind it (astromythology and rewritten myth), and the esoteric that goes with it.  They don’t study the violent history and distruction of X-ianity either. They have no clue about any of it, but think they do.  rolleyes  They are religiously/mythically illiterate.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 July 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-11-22

I agree.  We recently had our county’s fair, and in the area where people push their trinkets and show off their businesses, there was a booth there called “Real Science According to the Bible.”  As if the title wasn’t disturbing enough they had a “to scale” model constructed of toothpicks, and popcycle sticks of Noah’s Ark.  The booth host was boasting how everything is to scale right down to the, get this, Dinasours.  Yes that’s right they had dinasours next to humans on the Ark.  They even had a triceratops with a yolk assiting with construction.  Who knew dinasours were domesticated.  rolleyes How can you honestly debate or discuss this? 

I guess the only positive was the fact they admit dinasours really existed, instead of denying it to some big conspiracy, which by the way I have heard.

Signature 

“Truth persists, whether you believe it or not.”

Posted: 31 July 2007 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

You can’t.  Their minds are closed to rational debate and discussion.  I have met some that literally look like their brain has shut off and they suddenly become mindless zombies quoting what has been drilled into them for a lifetime.  It’s sad when you think about it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 July 2007 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-11-22

I found this to lighten the mood a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvR5tl5n8mQ&mode=related&search;=

Signature 

“Truth persists, whether you believe it or not.”

Posted: 01 August 2007 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07

LOL.

Love that episode.

It’s kind of sad at the same time, though… Sad that the Simpsons can show how absurd it is and yet the Creationists get away with it…

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 01 August 2007 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

tongue wink I like to refer them as the Sunday Fundies because on Sunday you will find them in the fundy (funny) house doing their things and praising that invisible great spirit and the rest of the week drink the great spirits. All of who agree say “A women!” All of those opposed say, “a man (a men is not politically correct.)

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 03 August 2007 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-14

I realize this is ancient mentality to feminists today; but it is 100% Biblical doctrine.

At least our dear fundy admits the the Bible is ancient mentality.