2 of 2
Issues with the microcosm (Merged)
Posted: 03 August 2007 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4051
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, but the point is I often can tell you what such things are to a sufficient extent that you will recognize them when you encounter them. Do you “really” understand red if you haven’t seen it, maybe not. But language can communicate an awful lot about it. On the other hand, show me “compassion” or “religion” or a “strange quark” without using language. You are right, as I said different things are best udnerstood in different ways, but I thnk there are far more things that cannot be communicated without language than there are things language cannot communicate. Our “success” as a species has a great deal to do with language, and we’d be crippled without it. All the discussion about whether words mean anything still has to start with this basic fact.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

What Cory is actually saying is that his learning style is almost entirely bodily kinesthetic.  Well, fine.  I’m amost entirely auditory with a fair proportion of bodily kinesthetic, so what.  When I went to university, I hadn’t studied advanced level maths.  In my very first lecture, the elderly emeritus lecturer walked up and down in his tweed jacket, smoking his pipe and talking to his shoes, occassionally writing complex proofs involving partial differentials on the board.  Instead of blaming him for my lack of understanding, I said to myself “Clearly I made it into this university because my results showed I’m clever enough to be here.  If I’m clever enough to be here, I should be able to understand this course.  The stumbling block is that I don’t recognise those curly d’s.  So, all I have to do is go and find out about them.”  i went to about a fifth of the lectures I was supposed to in my first year because I was very lazy, but at least I went out and read up on how do do calculus and I now have a PhD in physics.  I recommend that Corey should buy himself a molecular modelling kit, read the instructions and have a play and then use them while going through a text book.  If he would just bother his arse, I’m sure he would be able to understand these concepts because he made it into that university and must have done so by being clever enough to be there.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

2 of 2

‹‹ Genius      The meaning of "God" ››