Secularist councillor won’t pray in chamber
Posted: 30 July 2007 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-01-13

Story revealed by National Secular Society… http://www.secularism.org.uk/secularistcouncillorwontprayinch.html

It probably sounds quite bizarre to those of you lucky enough to live somewhere where church and state are separate, but here in the UK, stories like this are fairly common-place.

The guy’s getting a hard time for not joining in prayers in the Council Chamber!

Can you imagine the outcry from the Christian Lord Mayor if an Islamic council member suggested that she face Mecca and pray!?

Why don’t these people try seeing their view from someone else’s perspective?

I realise that the UK is still officially a Christian nation, but lets be real. It’s 2007. We are slowly secularising. Too slowly, but it is happening.

Just for interest, how would this story go down in the US?

Signature 

There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.

Posted: 30 July 2007 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Interesting, since many of us in the U.S. see England as significantly more secular in fact, if not in name, than here. Christian prayers (occassionally with a token nod to other traditions, especially Judaism) open most public and governmental functions in most places, though there are exceptions. There was just a big row about the first Hindu prayer used to open a session of Congress, since Hinduism isn’t in the monotheistic/Abrahamic club. *sigh* Well, I guess it’s better than Iran or life under the Taliban. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 30 July 2007 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I can see that same thing happening in the city council chambers of many smaller towns in the states in the middle and south-east of the U.S., commonly called The Bible Belt.  However, the ACLU and theatheist and humanist organizations would probably join in a law suit against the the mayor, council, and city.  When threatened with very large punative damages the mayor and council would almost certainly recant.

Occam

Posted: 01 August 2007 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

smirk In the town where I live a minister from different local churches open all government meetings with prayers.

But if I were forced to pray as an atheist I would say; “Dear Dog thank you for barking all night long to keep me awake so I could be here today praying to you. Amen.”

I’ll bet they would never bitch again if I did not pray along with them. Awomen.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 02 August 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

That’s funny Holey goat,  that is one of the frustrating hypocritical things with religion.  Religous faithful always acknowledge the possitive as the supernatural doing and not the negative.  When my religious family members complain about various things I have started replying with “Well… it must be ment to be”.  In this context it really emphasizes how they really are not practicing faith in an omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence deity.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 03 August 2007 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

You should read my post I lifted out of the news (by permission of the author of course) on the Minneapolis bridge collapse and the theist respond under “religion” in these forums. Whenever there is disaster people turn to their gods and expect everyone else to comply or else. I started the Church of Dog on google groups to make fun of God, but I found out people don’t like to joke about religion, theist or atheist. But I see life its self a joke and if we get too serious we loose our ability to be ourselves and do our own thinking. I believe that is one of the reasons theist have no sense of humor is because they don’t rule their own lives, they let church leaders influence their lives. Humor on the other hand is a passport away from influence and a key to the door that unlocks your own intelligence to make life a laughing matter. Nothing irritates a person more than to make fun or humor out of serious matters as those type of people have no control over their own lives or they would laugh with you at their own short comings.

And I thank Dog every day of my life that he gave me the ability to see humor in everything as I woofed down his every word and I never tried barking up the wrong tree or whined about his dogma after she died in her sleep leaving him alone with his dog pa.

[ Edited: 03 August 2007 02:09 AM by Holely Goat ]
 Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth