2 of 2
The Secular Society and its Enemies: Nov. 2007 Conference, NYC
Posted: 07 August 2007 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
katwright - 07 August 2007 07:20 PM

Referring to what Alon said before what is the point of having something beneficial to young minds like this conference if the above mentioned young minds cant afford it ?
I’m aware of the cost to make anything in NYC but we are here to promote science, not to cash in on it. I hope anyway…

I have no idea about how they came up with the price of the conference. However, knowing the costs of other similar NYC events, I seriously doubt that the CFI is intending to make any money on this. The only question is whether and how much they would be prepared to lose ... perhaps if someone were willing to sponsor guests?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 August 2007 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
katwright - 07 August 2007 07:20 PM

Well as far as I understand it is suppose to be an open discussion so certainly none of us can agree on all what it will be said in that conference…

I certainly hope someone brings up these things about Dershowitz and Hitchens, and hopefully Im wrong, but I dont think the intentions of their invitation to the conference was to talk about it. There will be a giant elephant in the room when those two speak. I just hope someone has the balls to point it out.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 08 August 2007 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I can’t speak to the issue of Dershowitz since I am relatively unfamiliar with him. To repeat, however, Hitchens has written a regular column for CFI’s Free Inquiry magazine for years, so there is no reason he would be left out of such a conference. Indeed, he’d likely be one of the first invited, and one of the most likely to attend. That’s to say, his association with CFI is not news.

And yes, you are not the first in CFI to point out their strong disagreement with some of Hitchens’s writings.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 August 2007 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-02-13

Dear all,

I will be able to attend the conference on the 10th and 11th. I am trying to find out how much I will miss on the 9th. Is there a program of events for the conference that I can check.

Thank you,

Roger

Posted: 29 August 2007 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

Darn it, that’s one I’d love to make, but I’m already on the hook to chair a panel at the Modern Language Assn in Atlanta on those exact dates. :-(  Maybe next year, I haven’t been to NYC since the 1980s. I miss it sometimes.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

2 of 2

‹‹ SkepDish      How is it possible? ››