2 of 2
hi, im michael. im addicted to reading
Posted: 07 August 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

I was just kidding. Besides, your reading lists look good; why mess it up. Actually, I haven’t read The Secret but I did watch the video.  I was put off by the DaVinci Code-esque approach to discovering the so-called “secret.” Perhaps substitute it with Seneca’s Letters From a Stoic.

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 07 August 2007 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

i saw the book and realized it was a joke…

“fool me once shame on you, fool me.. err, it fooled me. wont fool me again.” George W Bush

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 08 August 2007 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-08-08

Firstly, hi to Michael - I’m also new here.

Secondly, I would like to ask if anyone here has read Church of God? or the Temples of Satan by R. A. Anderson?

I am actually the author, and I would be very interested to hear some honest feedback! excaim

Signature 

“Ignorance is the mother of all evil.” (Gospel of Philip ~ NHL)

Peace & Love

Posted: 08 August 2007 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Let’s try to avoid spamming the boards here, Ben-Sharma. You have already mentioned your book in a separate post.

[ Edited: 08 August 2007 11:24 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 August 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Hi Michael,

It’s nice to hear your story.  Your reading list looks really interesting.  I’m in the middle of The Varieties of Scientific Experience : A Personal View of the Search for God after listening to back logs of POI and hearing Ann’s interview.  I have never wanted to read as many books as I do right now.  Also, I just purchased the movie Contact after it came up in a discussion with my brother.  What a great movie, it has been a long time since I last watched it.  I remember being frustrated the first time, that you never see what the aliens looked like, and now I realized how much more creative that encounter is compared to all the generick alien encounters in science fiction history.  That intro is an excellent update to the powers of 10 video many of us know and I am sure your daughter will, some day, appreciate the father daughter relationship that is soo strong in that film.

I’m not sure that CFI is the proper place for this, but It would be great to have an accomidating schedule to discuss and explore, in more detail, the great books that many CFI readers enjoy.

Scott

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 09 August 2007 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
retrospy - 09 August 2007 09:28 AM

I’m not sure that CFI is the proper place for this, but It would be great to have an accomidating schedule to discuss and explore, in more detail, the great books that many CFI readers enjoy.

Feel free to do so in the forums, for sure!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 09 August 2007 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Coordinating an online book reading discussion would be easier if the forum had a poll tool.  I’m not a good coder, but I know other forums have this tool as an option.  If this tool could be integrated easily, it would be much easier to guage interest on books for discussion.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 09 August 2007 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
retrospy - 09 August 2007 10:12 AM

Coordinating an online book reading discussion would be easier if the forum had a poll tool.  I’m not a good coder, but I know other forums have this tool as an option.  If this tool could be integrated easily, it would be much easier to guage interest on books for discussion.

Not sure what you mean—we do have a poll tool. Just submit a new post; polling is one of the options. Just click “Add a Poll” at the bottom.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 09 August 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

I for one would be very interested in a book discussion area on the forum!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 10 August 2007 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

same here. im down. right now im reading Journey to the Ants by Ed Wilson and Bert Holldobler. very interesting book

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 02 April 2008 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-08-08

Hi Truthaddict, I like your signature: “The only church that illuminates is a burning church.” Buenaventura Durruti

It reminds me of this:

BookCover-front.jpg

Signature 

“Ignorance is the mother of all evil.” (Gospel of Philip ~ NHL)

Peace & Love

2 of 2