Help?
Posted: 05 August 2007 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I have a friend who lives in Utah who I talk with a lot on IM. She tells me a lot about her family which is all Mormon, though she chose to become Atheist. Her family gives her a hard time because of it, and constantly shouts at her for not being Mormon and tells her that she will go to Hell. She also tells me that they sometimes threaten her, though she doesn’t tell me that they are actually abusive. What exactly would she have to do to legally become an adult and get rid of them?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 05 August 2007 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Well ... once she reaches 18 it’s obvious. Until then, not sure. One should also remember that children do tend to go through rebellious phases, and sometimes grow out of them in later life.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 August 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

There are emancipation statutes which, I believe, vary by state. Usually you have to show a judge pretty good evidence that the child is both being treated inappropriately and that they are capable of looking after themselves. Something she could look into locally, I suppose. But likely most judges would not be inclined to see aggressive religious indoctrination as inappropriate, sadly.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 05 August 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

She’s not going to change their minds, so arguing with them or even responding to their negative comments is a waste of time and just spurs them on to continue their attacks.  Far better to quietly tune them out when they start that.  If possible, change the subject so the matter can be forgotten.  By herself, she should get on Internet sites such as this and the atheist wabsites so she can get more background.  She shouldn’t bother, at this point, to use them to argue against the family members, but to just quietly, inside her own head, think of the rebuttals to their diatribes.

Occam

Posted: 06 August 2007 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7574
Joined  2007-03-02

Well and I thought relgion was about the love of God.  rolleyes  If she is 18, she really needs to get out of there and on her own, probably outside the state of Utah.  It won’t help her any to stick around such abuse.  I feel very sorry for her and wish I could help, but I’m working on getting out of Missouri in a couple of years.  :(  Both states are just as bad.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 August 2007 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

I have a friend whose wife is from Idaho and when I was out with them on Saturday night she said something about being mormon, but she was talking about her family at the time so I’m not sure whether she is mormon herself.  She asked me a question the other week about something her mother had told her and she was wondering whether or not it was true.  Without telling you what it was, it was superstitious nonsense and a pretty evill thing to say to a girl of her age in response to her question.  I set her straight on it, without criticising her mother for saying it in the first place.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 06 August 2007 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
logicisrefreshing - 05 August 2007 02:01 PM

I have a friend who lives in Utah who I talk with a lot on IM. She tells me a lot about her family which is all Mormon, though she chose to become Atheist. Her family gives her a hard time because of it, and constantly shouts at her for not being Mormon and tells her that she will go to Hell. She also tells me that they sometimes threaten her, though she doesn’t tell me that they are actually abusive. What exactly would she have to do to legally become an adult and get rid of them?

she can always tell them that if God was angry with her - like He was after Jesus appeared to the Hebrews (after his death, of course) who migrated to the Americas in 200 BC - he would curse her and turn her skin “black.” since shes still white, then obviously god is not upset with her.

And [God] had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.” (2 Nephi 5:21)

Yes, the Mormon book actually claims that Native Americans are A) Hebrews that migrated sometime around 200 BC (the archeological record must be the work of Satan); and b) were white until God cursed them. What it says about the (white) author who thinks God sees dark skin tone as a curse says alot, dont ya think?

Anyway, tell her to tell her family that as long as she is white, the Mormon god still loves her.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 06 August 2007 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

However she can add the coda that he did curse her with a family that many young suitors would run like hell from that she might not be enticing unto his people.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html