12 of 12
Satanism and CFI
Posted: 18 September 2007 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Kevin,

Since you say I “keep writing” your name as Kevin Is Laughter, show me how many times I have done so.

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

Kevin,

Tell me, how shall I read your nickname? Is it “slaughter”?

Edit: I apologize Kevin, I just found it, if this is correct, your name is Kevin. I. Slaughter.

[ Edited: 18 September 2007 03:29 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-08-11

Our posts are overlapping, so I’m removing this mention of the other time as a sort of truce on the subject.

I don’t think there’s a way to totally delete a post, or I would have done that.

[ Edited: 18 September 2007 03:34 PM by KevinISlaughter ]
 Signature 

“Our world was brutal, immoral, smug and conventional. We had unbounded contempt for all those who did not sin as we sinned.” Jim Tully Circus Parade

“Books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul whose progeny they are; nay they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.” - John Milton Aeropagitca

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

O.k., I’ve found The Satanic Bible, by Anton Szandor LaVey, in torrent. So, I’ll give it a look, Kevin.

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Joined  2007-05-09
KevinISlaughter - 18 September 2007 03:32 PM

Our posts are overlapping, so I’m removing this mention of the other time as a sort of truce on the subject.

I don’t think there’s a way to totally delete a post, or I would have done that.

Kevin, I see what you’re talking about, I used a capital “L” the second time.

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

Just a heads up for those interested, if you do choose to download, use the site that sounds like I so hunt, very fast.

Posted: 18 September 2007 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

I’m really interested in knowing why Gilmore what chosen for an interview. Was The Satanic Bible even glanced at, how about the video, or the web site, anything? If research was done, then why not take them to task for this nonsense?

I’m not to clear on why the directions in the rituals, like the Altar against the West wall, and:

If a woman is used as the altar she now takes her position - head pointing south, feet pointing north”— “Turning counter-clockwise, the priest points with the sword to each cardinal point of the compass and calls forth the respective Princes of Hell: Satan from the south, Lucifer from the east, Belial from the north, and Leviathan from the west.

It’s filled with this silly stuff. But, that aside, I think Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris may have lifted from this book to put in thier tomes, oh sayeth tis so, Heil Satan!

As in this:

13. The most dangerous of all enthroned lies is the holy, the sanctified, the privileged lie - the lie everyone believes to be a model truth. It is the fruitful mother of all other popular errors and delusions. It is a hydra-headed tree of unreason with a thousand roots. It is a social cancer!

Tell me that ain’t Dawkinsesque? Harris should stand in aweth toeth this stuffeth.  LOL

[ Edited: 18 September 2007 04:41 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 18 September 2007 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

But, I do find something interesting in all of this. That is the ability of magicians, con men, and the like, to understand human nature beyond even academics.

It becomes incredibly convincing and holds a certain power over those that are credulous. The entire premise here comes close to being a vast collective of victim hood. A tearing apart from convention to hold oneself out as the epitome of the most feared. To believe there is an abandoning of fear through an acceptance, then to ritual, followed by strict adherence to code. But, in life things just don’t fall so easily into “black and white” categories, so you’re pretty much dealing with a set of beliefs, that are reinforced through ritual, then continuously codified through confirmation bias. The holding out of the The Satanic Bible fills most of this need.

Posted: 18 September 2007 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-08-11
zarcus - 18 September 2007 04:54 PM

But, I do find something interesting in all of this. That is the ability of magicians, con men, and the like, to understand human nature beyond even academics.

Here I completely agree with you.

Other than that, I’m tired of these quick exchanges as you read over the basics, so I’ll let you get it all out for a few posts unless something really interesting that hasn’t been covered or isn’t available by google search comes up.

KIS

Signature 

“Our world was brutal, immoral, smug and conventional. We had unbounded contempt for all those who did not sin as we sinned.” Jim Tully Circus Parade

“Books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul whose progeny they are; nay they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.” - John Milton Aeropagitca

Posted: 20 September 2007 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
zarcus - 18 September 2007 12:28 AM

O.k., now I’ve listened to the podcast. It is worse then I thought.

For starters, D.J. is going easier on Gilmore then he did with Francis Collins. In fact I don’t hear that same antagonist approach he plays so well.

What about the claims these people make, was no research done? Is it a religion, Gilmore says, no, then he states it is a “Carnal Religion”. A religion of the flesh? This wasn’t even challenged, in fact very little was challenged.

I downloaded the podcast before yesterday’s commute, and I agree with Zarcus 100%.  We naturally run into ‘pseudo-science’ on the podcasts, but I don’t know the point of interviewing a ‘pseudo-religion’.  Calling it carnal-satanism might help outsiders get the picture. 

Here is the link Zarcus found: http://www.churchofsatan.com/

I think D.J. unintentionally gives this group some undeserved attention by interviewing them in the same forum as Dawkins, Hitchens, and Paul Kurtz.  I think this on-line discussion helps to give some balance.  The salacious posts by a member of this group completely validate the concern of the various forum members.

Jackson

Posted: 04 October 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-25

I only read the first two pages of this thread, maybe tonight I’ll finish reading the rest, so forgive if this is a little late or off topic. Just some thoughts.

The devil and/or satan has been drilled into peoples heads since childhood as a boogey man coming to snatch you from your bed, or, something responsible for all your ills and bad luck. It has become something more than a thought but a real being capable of influencing your daily activities.

And now as a athiest that “Super Meme” still manifests itself and lingers in your self conscience. Well, its time to “Break that Spell”. Satan/satanism is exactly like the easter bunny, santa claus, witch of the west, etc….please just let it go.

But…
There is a down side to this podcast. As an ex-believer, I know, this transmission will only strengthen the ranks of the delusioned, starting with the pulpit and tossed to the sheep, who are more than willing to consume anything their shephard feeds them.

M

Posted: 05 October 2007 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Total Posts:  4749
Joined  2007-10-05

I listened to that podcast on a road trip a few weeks ago, and came away unimpressed with the Church of Satan. I agree with the people who state DJ Grothe did not ask any hard questions, I know I was shouting some at my car stereo while listening. If Satanism is a theatrical nonreligion, why bother? Why dress up and follow all the tenets of a religion just to show you aren’t religious? And Gilmore’s social views screamed to me of Ayn Rand’s Objectivism when Gilmore stated quite bluntly that he believed government should butt out and let people take what they want, and those who are less fortunate than others just have to put up with the injustice life threw at them.

I can understand how most people listening to the podcast would come away with the view that the Church of Satan ain’t so bad after all, but thinking critically about Gilmore’s statements it was apparent to me that he was sugar-coating deeply rooted selfishness and arrogance.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

12 of 12