3 of 3
There’s a modern brand of militant atheist that can appear horribly smug and superior.
Posted: 27 August 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-08-26

Check out E.O. Wilson’s The Creation for an example of a secular humanist who’s trying to take a less obnoxious approach.

In my view, it is highly unlikely that any fundamentalist believer (especially Muslim) will ever be reasoned out of his extremist beliefs through mockery.

Signature 

Very truly yours,

A. T.

Sapere aude! Dare to reason!  -Immanuel Kant

Posted: 27 August 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Or by any other means.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 27 August 2007 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Damn, I should have got home earlier.  You posted precisely what I was going to post, narwhol.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 27 August 2007 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21
narwhol - 27 August 2007 07:01 PM

he wouldn’t reply to you - he’s forgotten words.

then perhaps he got the idea.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 28 August 2007 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

Here we go again, trying to own words. No one can dictate what the term “atheist” means. It has several definitions. As rational people, we should know that, and yet because people in our group have personal agendas, we see several people claiming ownership of the word “atheist” and the term “militant atheist.” It’s a dead-end, and it’s not even rational. It has the same root as theism: the human desire to shape the world.

Among other things, “atheist” can mean:
1. A person who insists there is no god (in the sense of god-being).
2. A person who sees no evidence there is a god and therefore does not believe there is one.
3. A person who does not attach himself or ally himself with belief in a god.

Among other things, “militant atheist” can mean:
1. A person who is firmly grounded in reason and evidence, has little patience for making up stories about the universe, and therefore speaks out assertively about how “God” is a product of wishful thinking.
2. A person who is angry about “God” (as an idea, as a cultural manifestation, as a set of associations in her own life, etc.), and therefore lashes out reflexively at everything that goes under the name of God.
The two are diametrically opposed in at least one very important way: the first is grounded in reason, the second is grounded in emotion. If we are to be consistent, we must be as critical of the emotion-driven thought represented in the second category of “militant atheist” as we are of theistic ideation.

We are well-advised to stop trying to limit these terms to suit our personal agendas. They mean different things to different people.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

3 of 3