8 of 8
Prisoner’s Dilemma and fecundity among free thinkers
Posted: 06 September 2007 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-08-15

The Japanese have a relatively prosperous, peaceful and civilization. Should a country like Japan be compelled to take poor migrates? Do they have the right to control migration and borders? My opinion is that: the diverse civilizations have many benefits as well as conflicts from the difficulty of building consensus. If a person feels their ancestors gave their blood, sweat and tears building a civilization—it is their and their scions legacy. An example is the Vietnamese fighting the French and Americans. They wanted the foreigners out, and a society governed by indigenous people. The Vietnam war was a race war from the Vietnamese viewpoint, and a powerful motivating force to rally their armies. My personal experience is that Americans as an ethnic group are one of the most tolerant and inclusive in aggregate. Americans have been in the vanguard of racial tolerance, women rights and civil liberties. My ethnic group is: American. I am not a hyphen American!
My ancestors were here before there was a Germany, Italy, Israel, India or Pakistan. Our holidays are thanksgiving, fourth of July and Christmas.
                                                      I love the U.S.A.    Brad

Posted: 07 September 2007 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

An example is the Vietnamese fighting the French and Americans. They wanted the foreigners out, and a society governed by indigenous people. The Vietnam war was a race war from the Vietnamese viewpoint, and a powerful motivating force to rally their armies.

You keep using those bad analogies, which make it look as if the US is under attack by hordes of Mexicans and Koreans and Indians and Russians. The Viet Minh objected to colonization, not immigration. It’s true that the experience of colonization, plus the Viet Minh’s own extremism, created a racially intolerant atmosphere, but that’s not a feature but a bug, which caused Ho Chi Minh to slaughter hundreds of thousands of Cambodians. Luckily, the Minutemen haven’t gotten that far yet, but that’s only because they live in a sovereign state that has a monopoly on the use of force and so far doesn’t think mass murder is good policy.

My personal experience is that Americans as an ethnic group are one of the most tolerant and inclusive in aggregate.

That’s been my experience too, but it’s precisely because Americans are likelier to tell people who rant about foreigners to get lost than other people. Japan is one of the most racist societies in the first world, with rampant discrimination against Chinese and Koreans. Germany, which only recently began giving citizenship to third-generation Turkish-Germans, is almost as bad. In contrast, Americans are likelier not to care which identities people assume, and to seriously fight discrimination. Due to slavery and segregation, they’re also likelier not to be hubristic about their racial tolerance. Aggressively promoting assimilation or ranting about the dream of border controls or downplaying its own racism will just turn the US into another Japan.

My ancestors were here before there was a Germany, Italy, Israel, India or Pakistan.

Not unless you’re a native American. The current incarnations of Germany, Italy, Israel, and India are relatively recent, but all of those countries are millennia old. Pakistan, a creation of Hindu-Muslim tension in early 20th century British India, is the only one of the five that didn’t exist 2,000 years ago.

Posted: 07 September 2007 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-08-15

I support open borders with Mexico, Canada and United States. Residents should be able to vote in elections. I am a native American. Many people posting make assumptions. A skeptic has a biases and a view to frame his or her opinions—as all humans have. I sense a hostile sentiments against Americans. The indigenous people of Indiana married into the New Engenders, who settled this part of the Midwest. My Uncle was a chief in the Great Lake Indian confederation an attorney, who would wear feathers and buck skins to court—fighting for the rights of Indians. I also have biases. My goal is to progress toward a more reasoned and rational consciousness. It upset me the other day: when I tried to hire a Canadian, and she could not take the position.

8 of 8