Attracting members before there’s a group
Posted: 16 August 2007 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

Excerpt from an email a representative from the student governing board sent me a few days ago:

If you’re interested in applying for recognition, you’ll have to submit a cover letter (attached), group constitution (it’s possible that we have a copy of the old one that you can review), and a letter of intent outlining the groups’ goals and purposes, what you hope to gain from SGB recognition, and whether you need funding.  You also need a membership list which includes the name, e-mail address, school, and year of graduation of each member.  The group must include at least ten undergraduates, from any of the four undergraduate schools, and have an undergraduate president and treasurer.

Now, I’m a grad student. The only undergrads I ever see are one whose boyfriend’s a grad student at my department, and another who takes grad classes. I’m trying to get them to fork over names of students who might be interested, but it’s not working out so far. Do you guys have any tips about how to attract members before there’s a group in place, or do I need first to have that embryonic group with regular meetings to be able to do anything?

Posted: 16 August 2007 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-06-20

Facebook? Flyers? Tabling?
Honestly, outside of that, I’m not sure because I have no idea how things work on a large campus.  But facebook might be a good place to start to reach specific types of students.

Posted: 19 August 2007 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

Well, what I ended up doing was start a group on Facebook and mine the profiles of every member of the Columbia ‘11 and Barnard ‘11 groups for compatible religious views. So far the group, which has existed for about 12 hours, has 19 members, plus 27 who’ve friended me based on an expressed mention of their nonbelief but have yet to join.

All credit for the idea goes to Katie.

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-07-17

Don’t forget to talk to professors. Get some professors to be advisers for your group. They can help spread the word of your group in their classes and departments.