1 of 5
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (Merged)
Posted: 22 August 2007 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Just noticed this maddening bit of entertainment news on the great skeptic blog Pharyngula. Apparently in the works is a pro-creationist documentary, called Expelled, starring Ben Stein.

HERE‘s the PR sheet.

One typical quote:

Ben Stein, the lovable, monotone teacher from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
and The Wonder Years is on a journey to answer one of the biggest questions
ever asked: Were we designed or are we simply the end result of an ancient
mud puddle struck by lightning? Stein, who is also a lawyer, an economist,
a former presidential speechwriter, author and social commentator, is
stunned by what he finds on his journey. He discovers an elitist scientific
establishment that has traded in its skepticism for dogma. But even worse,
along the way, Stein uncovers a long line of biologists, astronomers,
chemists and philosophers who have had their reputations destroyed and
their careers ruined by a scientific establishment that allows absolutely
no dissent from Charles Darwin’s theory of random mutation and natural
selection.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-06-17

From the movie blog:

Freedom of inquiry is basic to human advancement. There would be no modern medicine, no antibiotics, no brain surgery, no Internet, no air conditioning, no modern travel, no highways, no knowledge of the human body without freedom of inquiry.

Cute, huh?

I suppose that if the Scopes decision had been enforced across the world, we’d all be connecting here - oops, not here - while relaxing as our flying cars were taking us to a vacation on the moon.

Do you realize that some of the leading lights of “anti-intelligent design” would not allow a scientist who merely believed in the possibility of an intelligent designer/creator to work for him… EVEN IF HE NEVER MENTIONED the possibility of intelligent design in the universe?

I wonder if Stein went to a doctor, and the doctor told him that he either had a bit of bronchitis, and gave him some antibiotics, or, on the other hand, he believed in the possibility that what ailed Stein, given that it is summer, was an excess of yellow bile, and that he should sit in a cold bath.

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

sounds like a film about good science…

... too bad the makers and narrator are on the other side!

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 22 August 2007 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Always disappointing to see this kind of lunacy rear its ugly head.  I don’t think they’ll air that documentary in the UK though; we have to pay a licence fee here for our televisions so there would be an uproar if decent society found it was paying for that kind of Southern Baptist filth.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 23 August 2007 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

“Great” is somewhat of an out-of-place adjective to describe Pharyngula, actually. I’d go with “Predictable and boring.”

Posted: 23 August 2007 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Alon - 23 August 2007 11:44 AM

“Great” is somewhat of an out-of-place adjective to describe Pharyngula, actually. I’d go with “Predictable and boring.”

I think he does a great job; we need more like him. But to each his own ...

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 August 2007 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’ve been distressed by Ben Stein for many years - a very bright guy who’s a sell-out mouthpiece for the right wing political, social, and now religious establishment .  He always manages to merge a fair amount of facts, some strange opinions and a few outright lies presented as facts, and quite a few critical thinking fallacies into a tapestry that sounds reasonable unless carefully examined.

Occam

Posted: 23 August 2007 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-06-17

Stein’s seems so calm and reasonable that you can almost think that the crackpot stuff is shtick.  But it isn’t.

Posted: 23 August 2007 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24
dougsmith - 23 August 2007 12:46 PM
Alon - 23 August 2007 11:44 AM

I think he does a great job; we need more like him. But to each his own ...

LOL

I used to think he did, too. At one point I was the number two commenter on Pharyngula, PZ himself being number one. I don’t remember when I got disillusioned - around March, I think, but I may be conflating that with my getting disillusioned with the feminist blogs.

And I’m not the only one. A lot of people on Scienceblogs have complained that he’s tarring them, that because he’s by far the biggest blogger in the network he’s turning it away from science blogging and toward liberal polemicism.

Posted: 26 November 2007 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-26

Post Merged from another forum.

I just stumbed across a movie trailer for a “documentary” film coming out early next year starring Ben Stein called Expelled.

From the films web site:
EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed, is an upcoming feature film in which host Ben Stein (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off) goes on a quest to expose the suppression by science’s anti-theist elite, and unveil new scientific facts that may suggest evidence of intelligent design in the universe.

I hesitate to link to this crap because i’m afraid search engines will improve their ranking because of it (search engines rank sites primarily based on Link Popularity) so please just add the www onto the link below if you’re interested.

expelledthemovie.com/resources_leaders.php

Perhaps Ben should stick to comedies.

[ Edited: 26 November 2007 12:22 PM by divprogram ]

Posted: 26 November 2007 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-26
Occam - 23 August 2007 03:21 PM

I’ve been distressed by Ben Stein for many years - a very bright guy who’s a sell-out mouthpiece for the right wing political, social, and now religious establishment .  He always manages to merge a fair amount of facts, some strange opinions and a few outright lies presented as facts, and quite a few critical thinking fallacies into a tapestry that sounds reasonable unless carefully examined.

Occam

My problem is that because he’s so smart (ie. “Win Ben Stein’s Money”) too many people will believe his opinion and quote him as if he is well-informed on the subject.

Here is a link to Discovery Institutes article on the film: http://www.discovery.org/a/4182
And to the people who are financing this junk: http://www.premisemedia.com/ (notice all the religions whackos on the staff?)

I wonder if CFI is big enough to product a feature film? Even just for YouTube distribution?

Posted: 26 November 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19
divprogram - 26 November 2007 12:29 PM

I wonder if CFI is big enough to product a feature film? Even just for YouTube distribution?

I’d pay to see that.  grin

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 26 November 2007 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-26
retrospy - 26 November 2007 12:36 PM
divprogram - 26 November 2007 12:29 PM

I’d pay to see that.  grin

Penn and Teller could star in it! I see a blockbuster coming!!!

Posted: 26 November 2007 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-11-22

Here’s a 7 minute preview…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8sN1UngFY&eurl=http://badidea.wordpress.com/2007/11/25/first-glimpse-of-ben-steins-expelled-and-it-aint-pretty/

Can someone say quote mining…....
Enjoy

Signature 

“Truth persists, whether you believe it or not.”

Posted: 18 December 2007 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

I just watched the trailer to the movie and thought it was funny enough to share.

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/playground.php

It plays up the victim card better then I’ve seen in some time.

edit: There’s more stuff offered in the “Watch more Expelled trailers”, including an interview with Bill O’Reilly. They’re definitely using buzz words such as “persecuted”.

Posted: 27 February 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-02-15

This came across my radar the other day, its spokesperson being Ben Stein.

Please refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed and, in my view, a scary four minute video snippet at http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWMGD1Dg6L8

Looks like another tactic by the Discovery institute to “outrage” public of such “unfairness” and muddy US educational waters. I am not familiar with Bill O’Reilly, but am somewhat surprised of Ben Stein’s involvement.

What are your views on this matter - I am particularily posing this question to US members.

Cheers,

Peer

1 of 5