2 of 5
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (Merged)
Posted: 27 February 2008 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

O’Reilly is a loudmouthed, obnoxious, extremely conservative talk radio commentator.  Ben Stein, on the other hand, is a quiet spoken, clever, humorous, very knowledgeable guy who has gone compeletely over to the dark side.  He seems to make money by being a mouthpiece for any ultra-conservative project offered him.

Occam

Posted: 23 March 2008 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-22

Some of you may already be aware of the events concerning PZ Myers being Expelled from a viewing of Expelled

PZ and Richard Dawkins handle the situation with great humor in this Discussion on PZ being Expelled

Richard has posted an essay today on the events, the film and the deceiving tactics used by Mark Mathis, a producer of the film. Richard asks, Lying for Jesus?

Richard ask this question by saying:

I may have misremembered the details of our exchanges, by eMail and by telephone, but I vividly remember his reassuring me, over the telephone, that he was on the side of science, and he made no attempt to distance himself from my sarcastic jokes about ‘Intelligent Design’. I am reluctantly driven to wonder whether he is an inveterate liar, as well as a dreadful film-maker. Yet another example of Lying for Jesus?

Both PZ and Richard (along with others that were there and have written on the incident and film) have really handled this fantastically. I can’t help but to say, of course they lied for Jesus (or god), this is the way the modern creationist movement has continuously evolved (of course, I know Richard knows this as well). Once again they have been busted, and once again I know they will regroup to find new ways to deceive and manipulate.

Posted: 27 March 2008 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I just noticed something while watching the “Expelled” trailor. When Stein says that, “everything that exists was created by loving god,” as an example he mentions animals and his profound words are accompanied by an image of a bird feeding its chick. When, however, he babbles about “the era of Darwin,” they show a cheetah killing a wildebeest. So to sum it up: animals love their babies thank to god, but they kill prey because of Darwin.

Has anyone here seen the “movie” yet?

[ Edited: 27 March 2008 01:15 PM by George ]

Posted: 28 March 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2007-09-29
Occam - 27 February 2008 02:15 PM

O’Reilly is a loudmouthed, obnoxious, extremely conservative talk radio commentator.  Ben Stein, on the other hand, is a quiet spoken, clever, humorous, very knowledgeable guy who has gone compeletely over to the dark side.  He seems to make money by being a mouthpiece for any ultra-conservative project offered him.

Occam

I’m with you on Ben Stein - if you don’t mind me giving a ‘ditto’. But let’s be charitable - he’s sincere. (He hardly needs the money.) I suppose he really is ultra conservative. Although I would have said ‘Nixonian’ on non-social issues.

Kirk

Posted: 28 March 2008 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quote Inthegobi:

He hardly needs the money.) I suppose he really is ultra conservative.

I agree that he hardly needs the money, but it seems that one characteristic of untra-conservatives is that they believe one can never have enough money so should always attempt to accumulate more.

Occam

Posted: 02 April 2008 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
bob james - 23 March 2008 04:22 PM

Some of you may already be aware of the events concerning PZ Myers being Expelled from a viewing of Expelled

PZ and Richard Dawkins handle the situation with great humor in this Discussion on PZ being Expelled

Richard has posted an essay today on the events, the film and the deceiving tactics used by Mark Mathis, a producer of the film. Richard asks, Lying for Jesus?

[Skeptics Guide to Universe podcast 140 March 26 2008 includes Eugenie Scott Interview].  Eugenie Scott discusses this amazing Expelled incident in the interview. Apparently she also appears briefly in the movie, having been filmed under misleading circumstances which she explains.

Posted: 04 April 2008 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Er, sorry.  What I wrote was already posted.

Posted: 05 April 2008 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
erasmusinfinity - 04 April 2008 06:07 PM

Er, sorry.  What I wrote was already posted.

It’s a very strange incident.  Eugenie Scott notes jokingly in her Skeptics Guide to the Universe interview that perhaps she was also
blackballed—even more directly than PZ Myers—because she signed up for one of these showings on the WWW,
and they got back to others she knows but not her. And again she was (briefly?) in the movie.

Posted: 05 April 2008 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

It seems that they are not interested in the public being presented with “both sides of the debate.”  Indeed, person sho disagree have been “expelled.”

Posted: 05 April 2008 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
erasmusinfinity - 05 April 2008 06:33 AM

It seems that they are not interested in the public being presented with “both sides of the debate.”  Indeed, person sho disagree have been “expelled.”

Eugenie Scott suggests this WWW site
[  Expelled Exposed Web Site   [url=http://expelledexposed.com/]http://expelledexposed.com/ ][/url]
It has lots of links to reviews and discussions of the movie.

The Ben Stein site {I was trying to figure out where these free showings actually are} includes this blog page:
http://expelledthemovie.com/blog/

Posted: 05 April 2008 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  342
Joined  2008-01-11
Jackson - 05 April 2008 12:28 PM

The Ben Stein site {I was trying to figure out where these free showings actually are} includes this blog page:

The links are appreciated.

The headline on this entry on Dawkins reads “The globe’s leading Big Science atheist is ‘shocked! Shocked!’”

Now those fearless creationists are taking on something called “Big Science” - you know, like “Big Corporations,” and “Big Government.”

I understood the production company had bankrolled some high-priced ‘Swiftboaters’ style PR firm to hype this movie. If this link is an example of what they paid for, they’re definitely not getting value for money…

Posted: 14 April 2008 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
Balak - 05 April 2008 01:46 PM
Jackson - 05 April 2008 12:28 PM

[Cross Link to another mention of Expelled in this forum]

[Scientitic American editorial board inteviews Mark Mathis, Associate Producer of Expelled]

had to add link to expelledexposed.com Expelled

[ Edited: 14 April 2008 06:53 PM by Jackson ]

Posted: 15 April 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Here is a discussion between the Scientific American and Mark Mathis, one of the producers of Expelled. The link is to the first of nine parts.

Posted: 15 April 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

George, I couldn’t locate part 2 of that discussion. No matter, since Jackson’s second link contains the same interview with a small amount of supplementary detail that Mathis claimed repeatedly and got wrong.

Just to reiterate, the conversation is HERE. It makes interesting listening.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 April 2008 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Oops, I missed Jackson’s post. Thanks.

2 of 5