5 of 5
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (Merged)
Posted: 27 October 2008 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I can better picture you watching This Old House somehow.  At least that’s on PBS.

Maybe I could get you to come decorate my apartment some time.  cheese
(Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve been known to watch HGTV once or twice myself… shhhhh!)

Posted: 27 October 2008 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Jaik - 27 October 2008 09:39 AM

For those of you who still haven’t seen it, and don’t want to spend money on it, Netflix is currently offering the movie on its instant-viewing section.

If you don’t have a Netflix account, it’s a handy video-rental subscription system that I highly recommend. Additionally, they have a variety of movies you can watch instantly on your browser for free, just for having a membership. Anyhoo, I plan to watch it on my day off.

Yay for not spending money on this junk!

Thanks for this info about Netflix.

Posted: 31 October 2008 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

I just noticed this morning that the DVD has already been marked down to 19.95 at my local Walmart.

Posted: 31 October 2008 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
advocatus - 31 October 2008 07:37 AM

I just noticed this morning that the DVD has already been marked down to 19.95 at my local Walmart.

I’m sure it’d still be profitable for them at that price. Not sure if this is good or bad. It would be good if it was because they weren’t selling. It would be bad if it was because Walmart simply wanted to move more of them and could be assured of doing so at a friendlier pricepoint.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 November 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  2232
Joined  2007-04-26

I finally got around to viewing Expelled. I refused to pay good money to see it, but since you can watch it free on Netflix now I figured it was a good time to check it out. I think many of the posters above have made good points about the film. I thought I would just add a few comments.

First I was surprised at the genuine dishonesty of Ben Stein in the film. Throughout the movie he proclaims himself an unbiased investigator when it is clear from the outset and tone of the movie that he has an agenda. I guess this plays well when you’re preaching to the choir.

He makes a number of arguments that seem quite hypocritical. On the one hand he is arguing for equal time and a fair debate, but he reuses to do this himself. He presents a handful of ID supporters who seem quite intelligent and level headed, but whenever he interviews “experts” with an opposing point of view he makes every effort to make them seem paranoid and irrational ( i.e. the guy talking about proteins riding on the backs of crystals. With all the accomplished evolutionary biologists in the world, was this the best person he could interview??).  And what’s with all the emphasis on panspermia.  Obviously Stein focuses on this to make it look like ID theories are no crazier than traditional evolutionary biologists, but panspermia is not the consensus oppinion of most biologists. Panspermia only puts off the question about the origin of life to another time and place. Even if itwere found to be true, panspermia doesn’t answer the question of how life began on the planet that seeded earth with life. It seems like Stein either took comments out of context or intentionally selected scientists who would not represent evolution well.

He also presents individuals in a complimentary light when they claim that there is no battle between science and religion in an effort to make ID seem more palatable from a scientific point of view, but a short time later with foreboding music in the background he tries to make the point that “Darwinism” is the reason many people in the film became atheists. Which is it?

I love the comment by Mr. Berlinski (?spelling -the guy in the reclining chair that he interviewed in Paris, France who’s obviously quite taken with himself) who makes the comment that “Darwinism is not a sufficient condition for a phenomenon like Nazism, but I think it’s certainly a necessary one”. Is he kidding? I could add that being human is not a sufficient condition for Nazism but is most definitely a necessary one. So is the presence of a brain, and quite possibly thought.  If he’s trying to imply that Darwinism is somehow to blame for the Nazi’s I would say that being a thinking human is much more to blame. Darwinism wasn’t the cause of Nazism, it was simply a tool they twisted and perverted to use for their own needs like the airplane, the rocket, the radio, and many other things.

Sorry this is too long already. This film is so full of faulty logic and intentional misrepresentation you just want to pull your hair out watching it.

[ Edited: 09 November 2008 11:13 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 10 November 2008 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14
macgyver - 08 November 2008 03:28 PM

And what’s with all the emphasis on panspermia.  Obviously Stein focuses on this to make it look like ID theories are no crazier than traditional evolutionary biologists….

I know what you mean.  On another forum, there was a debate about evolution, and one of the Christians claimed that “Dawkings” believes that life on Earth was seeded by space aliens.  I challenged him to provide a direct quote by whoever he was talking about, and I haven’t seen that guy on the forum since.  Another Christian came back, however, and provided a quote by Richard Dawkins where he speculates about the possibility as a way of contrasting the difference between an Intelligent Designer who presumably had an origin of his/her own and a supernatural Intelligent Designer which popped into existance full blown by magic.  Naturally, the Christian refused to see the point Dawkins was making.

Posted: 28 November 2008 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Expelled: Watch it here if you must.  smile

Posted: 04 December 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Roger Ebert reviews Expelled

It’s not exactly what you’d call “positive”.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 04 December 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-10-29

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 11:04 AM by Luke Vogel ]

Posted: 07 August 2009 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Ben Stein update: he’s finally been Expelled from his weekly financial column in the NYTimes. Huzzah!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 07 August 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Good!  When I’m watching TV I usually just mute the commercials, but I can’t stand seeing his face on commercials so I change channels.

Occam

Posted: 08 August 2009 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 07 August 2009 05:53 PM

Good!  When I’m watching TV I usually just mute the commercials, but I can’t stand seeing his face on commercials so I change channels.

Ha! Ironically, it was his face on those commercials that lost him his columnist job.

Signature 

Doug

5 of 5