7 of 7
Happiness - Who needs it?
Posted: 05 September 2007 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

That’s what peer reviews are.  They don’t review themselves.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 September 2007 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

[ Edited: 19 October 2007 10:10 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 05 September 2007 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
zarcus - 05 September 2007 12:58 AM

To be published in a peer review journal, it goes through a peer review process; when the work is submitted it is then reviewed to evaluate the significance/protocol/standards etc. If accepted for publication it goes to the wider field who then can (If they like) try to replicate or falsify.

This is right. The process of “peer review” is done anonymously, and the reviews are not themselves published. They are for the internal use of the journal and the paper’s authors. (Obviously the reviewers are known to the journal’s editors, but they are anonymous to the authors).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Happiness is, what happiness does.

Dan Gilbert is, what Dan Gilbert does.

Dan Gilbert is happiness and that is why you should read his work.  cool hmm

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 05 September 2007 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
zarcus - 04 September 2007 05:32 PM

Mriana, & truthaddict,

I’m going to have to disagree with you both on the question of Daniel Gilbert being a “pop psychologist” and avoiding peer review. I’m a little confused about where your information is coming from?

But, perhaps you would like to just take a few minutes and look over his peer reviewed published papers from his web site, which also offers other published material from scientific journals.

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/gilbert.htm —the journal entries are under, ‘writing’.

I plead (intentional) ignorance. my comment that you are referring to really had nothing to do with Gilbert. I made a comment about pseudo-scientists in general. I really wasnt following it more than what Mriana wrote. go back and read it as a sarcastic comment in general about writers pretending to be scientists who ignore peer review and opt to sell catchy phrases to the public (ie intelligent design, origin of consciousness and the bicameral mind, etc).

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 05 September 2007 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

[ Edited: 19 October 2007 10:10 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 07 September 2007 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

HAPPINESS
I ASKED the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with their women and children and a keg of beer and an accordion.

- Carl Sandburg, from “Chicago Poems”

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

7 of 7