Researchers Create Out-of-Body Experiences in Normal People
Posted: 24 August 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-07-29

An article in today’s New York Times unravels how the brain can create out of body experiences. It’s good evidence against there being anything supernatural involved, but it’s also interesting to me in furthering understanding of how the brain creates our everyday perceptions of ourselves: Disrupt the machinery, and normal “reality” disappears. When the video game creators get a handle on this, “emmersive” will take on new meaning.

Here’s the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/24/science/24body.html

Signature 

Where did that come from? Norm Bearrentine

Posted: 24 August 2007 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, I saw this article this morning. Thanks for posting it—very interesting result.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 August 2007 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

the Flying Spaghetti Monster is tryin’ t’ test our faith with this. If ye are good Pirates ye we will hold steady, arrr!!!

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 24 August 2007 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Derren Brown did a trick in which he made this girl pull over and pass out by calling her on her mobile phone while she was driving.  When she awoke she was looking at her crashed car and a woman dressed in identical clothing (and a latex mask of her face) passed out behind the wheel.  She was unable to move from the spot where she was standing and the emergency services (played by actors were ignoring her when she shouted to them).  Cruel but cool.  I don’t know if you can get his shows in the US.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 24 August 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

He hypnotized her over the phone while she was driving?

Posted: 24 August 2007 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

He claims that he doesn’t do hypnosis, and is known to be an extremely good practitioner of NLP.  He is also a very witty and intelligent sceptic.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 26 August 2007 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-07-28

Well, the following is somehow out of topic, but…hell…

I did a silly experiment on myself some time ago. I decided not to sleep for a week.

Nothing happened in the first three days, I used to go to work, eat, watch TV and more.

In the 4th day at night I started to “hear voices”.

This happened in the following two days, I used to hear whispering voices all day long.

I guess that my brain started to have some problems coordinating itself, and I think that this might explains why some people say that they can hear voices…including the voice of god.

This phenomenon has been also observed in people who have suffered an accident of that are sick for a while.

I lost my notes, and I’m not willing to repeat the experiment again, but if you decide to do so, you might experience similar symptoms.