God’s Warriors
Posted: 27 August 2007 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-06-17

Has anyone watched the CNN series “God’s Warriors” with Christiane Amanpour?

If so, any thoughts?  Any subtler than the usual?

Posted: 27 August 2007 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I did watch some of that series.  It looked like a bread & butter example of brainwashing to me.  Isolate teens from society.  Dictate when they get on the internet, what movies they can watch & what they can wear.  Soften them up with emotional rock music and then pump them full of fundamental BS.  I especially liked when Amanpour confronted the leader about this group (I forget what it was called) about its resemblance to the Taliban.  He was dumb founded and then said well… you are here; you can see we are not the Taliban. rolleyes

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 27 August 2007 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-06-17

I would have liked to see her link the three kinds of fundamentalism (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) more clearly.  The Christian rock star was the spookiest - like Pink Floyd meets Elmer Gantry in Nuremberg.

Posted: 28 August 2007 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-08-14

I agree, that kind of documentary also asks for conclusion. There was none. The ending is so vague and bland that it seems unfinished. Journalism should be a little more daring sometimes, but maybe I am just asking way too much.

Signature 

If the ignorance of nature gave birth to such a variety of gods, the knowledge of this nature is calculated to destroy them. La Système de la Nature, Baron d’Holbach (1723–1789)

Posted: 28 August 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-08-15

Good News and Bad News: Robert Wright, gives data that global violence and war is declining, and has declined by factor of 20. The trend is positive. The religious fundamentalists for the three religions have hostile factions. They all are hostile to the Secular—>you(pl) and me. The hostile factions all view heathens—as a population—going to an oblivian at best or a sulfur sinking pool of fire at worst.