5 of 5
Is Anything in the Bible True?
Posted: 07 September 2007 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I don’t disagree that fiction can’t have some moral truths to it, I just think that the Bible is also fiction.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 September 2007 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-09-06

Bibles is a collection of mystical fictional stories, fables and myths. Technically the answer is yes, there are some truths. Is there a place called Jerusalem? Was there a river called the Nile? I could write a fictional story about a guy named John, who lives on Lexington Avenue, in New York City, that sees and talks to dead people. Lexington Avenue in New York is 5.5 mile (8.9 km), or 110-block route. There is probably is a guy name John who may or may not think he sees or talks to dead people. Writers look at their environment and their audiences appeal.

How did the bible transform into what we see today? Who put these stories, with the same theme and different authors together? Was the person(s) a literary collector of mystical books?  Could superstitious fans have been influenced into believing this book was not fiction by a sinister party? These questions can only be answered by reading in the study of global human history.  I personally came across Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies.

Image Attachments
book.jpg
 Signature 

“The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.” . Ayn Rand

Posted: 07 September 2007 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

This is a thing in the bible and it’s possibly true:

“Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock.” Psalms 137:9 NAB

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 07 September 2007 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I seriously doubt there is much truth to that, Narwhol.  If a parent did do that, they would be charged with child homocide or at least in this modern age when we have become a little more civilized.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 September 2007 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

No, no, you’ve read it all wrong - those who seize your children probably aren’t parents themselves.  Anyway, I only admitted the possibility that they were happy.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 08 September 2007 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

Then 2 Kings 18:27 Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall that they may eat the own dung and drink their own piss with you.
(also found in Isaiah 36:12 the same verse.)

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 08 September 2007 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-08-26
Holely Goat - 30 August 2007 12:07 AM

Which is convincing that the writers of the bible knew they were putting together their own customized religion to suit their self and may well have not even believed in a god but were promoting myths to reinforce their own sick agendas as narrow minded mixed up individuals knowing they could play on the emotions of the ignorant and get away with it.

Was it really a conspiracy of old con artists taking control of people’s minds or was it a hoax or perhaps as I have stated many times; drug and wine induced individuals believing “God” or some or the other talked to them into writing the books they did which became the theist’s bible?

Who knows? Who will ever know for sure what the motive was?

All these suggestions are possible, indeed likely.  However, I do not believe that’s the whole story.  In my view, the ease with which human beings create mystical and theological explanations for natural phenomena explains much of the sincerity among true believers.  We will not understand these people until we accept that they are not deluded fools.  Humanists are supposed to be both rational and compassionate.  Should not our compassion begin with understanding that many religious people are entirely sincere when they claim to have had transcendent experiences?

As for the biblical authors, whoever they were, I am prepared to accept that some of them were motivated by genuine religious feeling.  Perhaps they did indeed believe they were inspired, though I have vague recollection from Ingersoll that they didn’t claim divine inspiration themselves.  (I’m not a biblical scholar, so perhaps someone else on this forum can enlighten us on that point.)

That leaves some biblical authors who may have been acting to further a political agenda.  Well, people have been abusing religion to control the population since the first shaman picked up a flaming branch and shouted out a revelation about the Great Lightning God.  The best book I’ve read on this subject is by H. L. Mencken.  It’s called Treatise on the Gods.  I recommend it to anyone who wants a clear view of the social and political purposes of religion.

Signature 

Very truly yours,

A. T.

Sapere aude! Dare to reason!  -Immanuel Kant

Posted: 08 September 2007 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

But I am a biblical scholar having gone to bible college and becoming an ordained minister having three of my own churches; Pentecostal and community and during the time I was in bible college there were references to the fact that much was left out of the original bible and much added from other sources. After college years later I ran across several books that refuted the bible which led me down a long road to research how every religion begun and I decided on an experiment of my own to write my own “holy book” and start my own religion based partly on other beliefs already established including my own brand of religion and from 1977 to 1987 I wrote the first half, then from 1997 to 2005 I finished the second half of the 1065 page Q’R'Beth. But getting back to the beginnings of religion, I have every reason to believe that most people that start religions are mislead by some quirk of the imagination brought about by either drugs or a mental defect or from alcoholic drinks because a rational person in their right mind would not start writing some far fetched piece of literature and believe that some supernatural invisible being was inspiring them to write unless they were using their own imagination to literally make it up and no one can convince me otherwise. Once the literature is written and a few mislead persons begin to believe it they go out and try to convince others it is true and teach their children who grow up believing it and teaching their children. Pretty soon it spreads everywhere and gets changed over the years until the original is so watered down and changed it becomes confusing and often times not even understood which leads to the misinterpretation of in this case the Bible.

However you have your theories and I have mine, but knowing the human way of thinking I also believe that everyone at one time or the other have questioned their own beliefs of rather what they believe might not be true yet some only pray about it to reinforce their beliefs while others like myself decide to prove it one way or the other which leads many believers to become non-believers over time. I do not believe a rational person would not have some sort of doubts on occasion or they would not ask questions or go to bible study in their churches and ask questions. I do not believe there is absolute blind faith by rational people. I believe irrational people may have blind faith either because of brainwashing as a child growing up with it or by persons with mental defects.

And I do not consider my self as a humanist but an atheist.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 08 September 2007 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I studied and do study religion, not just Christianity, at a seclur university and I know there are several things left out of the Bible, but that doesn’t mean it’s missing anything or is even complete or true for that matter.  There are things a Bible College won’t teach in order to keep you in the flock and there are some things they teach that secular universities don’t teach.  However, I’m not going to go out and start my own religion though just find out how gullible people are.  Something about that just seems very unethical to me.  I rather tell people the truth about it than see how gullible they are and the truth is, it’s all fiction, but I don’t have to tell you all that.

Signature 

Mriana

5 of 5