13 of 13
Can Science & Spirituality go together?
Posted: 23 December 2009 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 23 December 2009 03:55 PM

Two men observe a snowcovered mountain, jagged peaks rising, clouds swirling around the summit, an occasional avalanche billowing down the slope. One man (flicking his cigarette butt into the virgin snow) says, “look at that big snow covered rock”; the other (with tears in his eyes) exclaims, “this is the most awesome sight I have ever beheld”. Can we not say that one had a materialistic experience, while the other had a spiritual experience?

It’s a false claim that one needs to embrace the woo in order to embrace the beauty and grandeur of reality. All one has to do is read Sagan or Dawkins. And the late Richard Feynman said it better than almost anyone: see him HERE.

The material world is awesome enough. We don’t need to construct fairy stories to make it awesome.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 December 2009 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26
dougsmith - 23 December 2009 12:08 PM
Write4U - 23 December 2009 11:53 AM

Question: If the mind has no influence on physical reality, why do we have such expressions like: “mind over matter”, “power of positive thinking”, “self healing”? If these were all fruitless exercises, why are they still practised and even recommended by modern day physicians?

Firstly, the mind is the brain. When you think, it’s because neurons in your brain are firing. Those neurons are physical objects, and the effects they have can and do change the rest of the body in important ways.

Neurons firing do not of themselves create thought. As far as I know we think symbolically (pictures), where the neurons stimulate certain portions of the brain which then accesses memory and create a symbolic response, from which we derive our experiences. 
Question: what is memory?
Deepak Chopra claims that our brain is like a cosmic receiver, which (with meditation) can tune into the cosmic symphony and find a harmony or oneness with the universe. As there are many reports of transcendental experiences, how would we know if this is true or not?

[ Edited: 23 December 2009 04:27 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 23 December 2009 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 23 December 2009 04:08 PM
dougsmith - 23 December 2009 12:08 PM

Firstly, the mind is the brain. When you think, it’s because neurons in your brain are firing. Those neurons are physical objects, and the effects they have can and do change the rest of the body in important ways.

Neurons firing do not of themselves create thought. As far as I know we think symbolically (pictures), where the neurons stimulate certain portions of the brain which then accesses memory and create a symbolic response, from which we derive our experiences.
Question: what is memory?

Neurons firing in the brain just are thinking, depending on the neural activity in question, of course. The pictures in your thinking involve the visual cortex of your brain. Memory as well takes place among structures of the brain. You destroy the brain, you destroy memory.

For the neuroanatomy of memory, see Wiki HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 23 December 2009 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
GdB - 23 December 2009 08:58 AM

So let’s play a little ‘devil’s advocate’ again. (You know, VYAZMA, I always try to find something reasonable in one’s view… And I have a day off, and therefore a little time.)

GdB, Why me? I was getting ready to engage Weedie. I’m ok with Weedie’s ideas. In fact I am trying to relate further. I was going to blast Doug and Foto for being so harsh. I mean Weedie doesn’t appear to be anything like a theist to me-His(?) views are all peaceful and harmonious.
Leave me out of it GdB!! LOL Honestly I have found some reasonable items from Weedie’s posts. I had to leave this morning, so I couldn’t jump in here. The wolf-pack has already descended.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 December 2009 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
dougsmith - 23 December 2009 04:05 PM

It’s a false claim that one needs to embrace the woo in order to embrace the beauty and grandeur of reality. All one has to do is read Sagan or Dawkins. And the late Richard Feynman said it better than almost anyone: see him HERE.

The material world is awesome enough. We don’t need to construct fairy stories to make it awesome.

I agree with Doug—thanks for pointing out the fallacy (or fallacies)

Posted: 23 December 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26

Just a little thanks to all for the links to sites and thinkers.  And a Happy Holidays to all!!!!

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 December 2009 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 23 December 2009 10:00 PM

Just a little thanks to all for the links to sites and thinkers.  And a Happy Holidays to all!!!!

Happy post solstice and a happy 2010 to you and all the other folks here as well.

grin

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 25 December 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 188 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
WeeDie - 23 December 2009 04:38 AM

So what is “I”, if not ideas built upon past experience?

It is your innate personality for one. An extremely brain injured person with no memories of their past, will still have an ‘I’. Late stage Alzheimer patients may lose their ‘I’ and still have long term memories of childhood, they will also still have a semblance of their innate personality.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 December 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 189 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Happy holidays to all, whatever and however you may celebrate! cool smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 December 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 190 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

And the same to you, Asanta.  I’ll be meeting a group of Secular Humanists at a movie then go to a Jewish delicatessen for for a nice corned beef and cabbage dinner.  LOL

Occam

13 of 13