Planet Formation Mystery Solved
Posted: 30 August 2007 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070829_planet_formation.html

“Planet formation is a story with a well-known beginning and end, but how its middle plays out has been an enigma to scientists-until now.

“A new computer-modeled theory shows how rocky boulders around infant stars team up to form planets without falling into stars.

“‘This has been a stumbling block for 30 years,’ said Mordecai-Marc Mac Low, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, of planet formation theories. ‘The reason is that boulders tend to fall into the star in a celestial blink of an eye. Some mechanism had to be found to prevent them from being dragged into a star.’

“The solution: Together, many boulders can join to fight a cosmic headwind that otherwise would doom them.”

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 30 August 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Very attractive theory. I just don’t understand why they are titling it “solved” since it is still a theory.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 30 August 2007 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-07-16

heres my theory/suggestion:

instead of us being abducted by aliens, we need to abduct them, steal their technology and jet out 4.5 billion lightyears away and with their super-duper-mega-ultar powered telescope we could look at the formation of our solar system, and edge in ever closer to explain everything about it!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2007 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Soo much time passes for planets to form I’ll believe any theory.  Except the theory that the last boss in smash brothers did it.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

:tongue: Or why not ask God since he seems to know all of the answers. In fact if we all got down and prayed hard enough and had enough faith we could ask him to propel us to outer space to watch a planet form.  tongue wink

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 06 September 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-07-16

there is a Gary Larson comic of a fat kid in a lab that just exploded and feathers still floating in the air. The caption said something to the effect: God as a kid trying to make a chicken

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2007 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2007-09-19
truthaddict - 06 September 2007 09:43 AM

there is a Gary Larson comic of a fat kid in a lab that just exploded and feathers still floating in the air. The caption said something to the effect: God as a kid trying to make a chicken

LOL, I love Gary Larson.  A bit off topic buy my favourite Gary Larson comic is one where a bunch of men in while labs coats are holding clipboards and scratching their heads.  Behind them is one (or two, can’t quite remember) *very* crooked rockets.  The caption underneath reads, “Let’s face it boys, we’re not exactly rocket scientists”.

Anne

‹‹ The Birth of Chemistry      mimicry ››