Iowa allows Gay marriage.
Posted: 30 August 2007 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

A bill was just overturned in Iowa that tried to ban Gay marriage.  Score one for Secularism.  grin

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 31 August 2007 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24

But gay marriage is only allowed in one county…

Posted: 31 August 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

They ought to ban all religious marriages and make it a law that unless you are a non-believer you can’t get married. That would shut up the theist. Or I wished they would ban heterosexual marriages and make it a law that marriage is between two men or two women and see how they like that. Or if you are a Republican you can not get married.

How is it anyone’s business who you marry?
Why should only theist have civil rights? That is called special rights. Why should theist have special rights over any other rights?
Who do they think they are? I can remember when it was against the law for a black person and a white person to marry each other.

Hey if they want to play games let us ban all marriages where one race marries another race. In other words unless the person you marry is your exact race you will not be allowed to marry them. If you are part Irish, part Mexican and part Chinese you can only marry another person that is part Irish, part Mexican and part Chinese.

[ Edited: 31 August 2007 08:02 PM by Holely Goat ]
 Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 31 August 2007 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-07-24

Holely Goat, I have to ask this: ¿Qué?

Posted: 31 August 2007 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

They are the second state to do this.  New Jersey was the first, I think.  I do know NJ approved Gay marriage before Iowa.  Maybe my theory will prove true and we will see some decline in the divorce rate.  Who knows.  It can’t be bad.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 August 2007 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-07-24

NJ didn’t approve gay marriage; it approved civil unions. Or do you mean Massachusetts?

Nobody really knows what the US divorce rate is. I mean, yeah, there’s a divorce for every two marriages lately, but the people who get divorced today didn’t get married a year ago. They likely got married many years ago, when people got married knowing each other a lot less. In addition, the divorce rate for first marriages is much lower than for subsequent marriages, so it’s not clear how many of the people who enter divorce statistics are serial divorcers, who don’t affect the stability of the rest of the population’s marriages.

Posted: 01 September 2007 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

What is the difference between gay unions and gay marriage?  They sound like the same thing to me.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 September 2007 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-07-24

In the US, marriage confers 500 state-level benefits and 1,000 federal ones. Civil unions only confer the state-level benefits, and are not recognized in states and countries where there’s no such institution as civil unions. If Congress passes a civil unions law then it’ll be less of a problem, of course.

Posted: 01 September 2007 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14

Unfortunately, according to the NYTimes article this morning, gay marriage was only allowed for four hours:

“Imagine this — right here in Iowa,” Amanda Duncan said as she and her partner of three years, Aleece Ramirez, filled out their application for a marriage license and put down $35. “Hopefully, this starts a fire that spreads to other places.”

The chance was fleeting. After four hours, Robert B. Hanson, the same county judge who had deemed the ban on same-sex marriages unconstitutional, delayed further granting of licenses until the Iowa Supreme Court decided whether to consider an appeal.

We’ll see where it goes from here. I’m not optimistic ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 September 2007 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Right.  It was allowed because the bill attempting to ban gay marriage was overturned.  I’m not a lawyer, but I think it stops once follow up appeals start up agian.  Chances are they could overturn and re-overturn and re-re-overturn past rulings in the process.  Never the less, I am happy to see process being made in our judicial system.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

Why is it any one’s business rather gays marry or not? No one is forcing them to have to live with the gay persons that marry.
I don’t care if my neighbor marries his dog it does not bother me in the least. In fact if people want to marry their pets or someone fifty years older than they are more power to them. Gays don’t bother anyone. In fact gays contribute to society more than a lot of other minorities by going into blighted areas of cities and rebuilding them boosting the economy of an area. Many gays have invented things that people can not do without now. Some of the biggest stars in the entertainment world were/are gay. Nature made them gay and if some one does not like it then they should try to change nature. Religion on the other hand does little to contribute to society and more criminals are theist than not. More theist bother people than gays. In fact theist have slowed civilization down in advancements in science more than any other factor. Religion is abnormal while homosexuality is normal.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2007 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

While I agree gays should be allowed to marry, I’m hoping you’re going overboard for rhetorical effect as far as people marrying their dogs. For one thing, making such a comparison just reinforces stereotypes of people who are not heterosexual being “kooks,” and for another as a vet I can’t say as I think cross species marriage sounds like such a great deal for the dogs! grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 06 September 2007 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

I was just making a point. I believe in the absolute separation of church and state. Theist have no right influencing law makers to disregard our Constitution in favor of their religious ideas and law makers have no right to listen to them. Christians constantly condemn the Middle East for theist there running the government yet they are doing the same in this country by denying others of their civil rights, their human rights and their equal rights as guaranteed under the Constitution. Theist have no decency when it comes to giving equal rights to others, but they think nothing of forcing their beliefs on others and law makers stoop to any depths for a vote to stay in office or get in office thereby having no regard for the Constitution themselves. The law makers are the law breakers when it comes to the Constitution by using it as a nose rag to blow their nose on just to stay in office.

But like I said before I really do not care who other people marry as why should it affect me anyway?

Signature