Miracle in Minersville, PA
Posted: 30 August 2007 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-06-08

I wasn’t sure if I should post this in religion or the paranormal. I thought that it would fit either place, but leaned toward this forum.

News story on the front page of our local paper:

http://www.republicanherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18764357&BRD=2626&PAG=461&dept_id=529074&rfi=6

...and the picture plus additional story from a Scranton news station website:

http://local.wnep.com/wn/photos.php?id=55473
http://www.wnep.com/global/story.asp?s=7000840

I live a block and a half away from this location. While I don’t doubt people’s well-meaning intentions, it just shows another example of people making a perception fit what they want it to be. Because it resembles what we locals refer to as a “bathtub Mary,” people believe it’s the Blessed Virgin making an appearance here in our little town. This evening, people started gathering already at 5PM to see what is the reflection of the sun off of a window onto a garage door across the street.

Is Joe Nickell busy?

Posted: 02 September 2007 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

One has to use their imagination of course, but it looks like just a stain or a place in the paint where something or some one used paint thinner to make it appear as a figure which leads me to believe a hoaxster did it during the wee hours of the morning just before the sun arose to see what people would do. I believe it was done on purpose by some one who was hoping it would get in the news. People will believe anything if you can convince them you are smarter than they are. I did that myself when I wrote the 1065 page Q’R'Beth from 1977 to 1989 thereby proving just how really dumb some people are.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 06 September 2007 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Actually, it’s the sun reflecting off of a window across the street from the garage pictured. It only shows up between 5-7PM due to the sun’s angle - with the days growing shorter it is showing up earlier - and creeps its way from the bottom to the top of the garage door. People are STILL coming from miles around to see this.

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

mad Oh hum what great imaginations the believers have. In fact without their imagination they would have nothing to live for.

tongue wink “In the name of the Fat One, the Son of a Gun and the Holely Goat. To hell with Mary full of disgrace that landlord is without thee. Blasted are the fruit flies that buzz around thy womb. Prey upon us winners. Ah women.”  red face

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Excellent story.  I think it looks like a cock in a vagina.  big surprise

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 07 September 2007 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17
retrospy - 06 September 2007 03:05 PM

Excellent story.  I think it looks like a cock in a vagina.  big surprise

Not as good as this one:

Image Attachments
Illusion(1)1.gif
 Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 07 September 2007 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

That is amazing as it looks exactly like that crook in town that runs a money laundering operation as a tie dye shop but is actually a large drug smuggling operation.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2007 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

Wow, narwhol, that’s really amazing! Just goes to show that you can’t even trust your eyes sometimes, and that seeing isn’t necessarily believing.

Posted: 09 September 2007 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-11-13

How depressing…

1. People are so desperate for some meaning in their lives, that they are ready to believe that a reflected image on a garage door is a sign from God. 10 minutes with a stick is all anyone would need to figure out where that reflection was coming form (just put the stick in front of the image to make a shadow, keep changing the angle of the stick until it’s shadow is the smallest, and then look where the stick is pointing).

2. The news is so desperate for anything to say that they report the incident as news. In fairness, I suppose that large groups of people believing that some random reflection was a sign of God is news, but the news reporters make no attempt at all at explaining the phenomena. Better to keep folks interested rather than pull in an expert to debunk the whole affaire.

Signature 

Richard

Posted: 10 September 2007 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I’d like to hear the results of Narwhol’s test on people without an Abrahamic based religious upbringing.

On second thought, no I wouldn’t.  The variety of answers would be too long.

[ Edited: 10 September 2007 02:40 PM by retrospy ]
 Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 10 September 2007 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

they see che guevara

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html