1 of 2
Hi from Alice Springs, Australia
Posted: 01 September 2007 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-09-01

Hi I’m sbwright,

I have just stubled across CFI and the POI Podcasts.  I have been busy dowloading and listening - a wonderfuls show and a wonderful resource.

I am an ex-christian (Catholic) and have been drifting towards Athiesm since attending university.  Thankfully in Australia I can be openly Atheist without fear of persecution.

I look forward to discussions with you all.

Posted: 01 September 2007 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15344
Joined  2006-02-14

Great to have you here, sbwright. Enjoy!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 September 2007 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome!  Must be a wonderful place Down Under.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 September 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Happy to have you join us, SBW.  I’m looking forward toward your and the Australian views on the discussion topics.

Occam

Posted: 02 September 2007 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-01

Thankyou all for the welcome.

Yes Australia is a wonderful place to live.  We do seemed to have a more laid back and balanced approach to religion.

Posted: 02 September 2007 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I think we Californians have a kinship with Australia because we, too, have a much more laid back and balanced approact to religion than much of the rest of the U.S.

Occam

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-01
Occam - 02 September 2007 08:52 PM

I think we Californians have a kinship with Australia because we, too, have a much more laid back and balanced approact to religion than much of the rest of the U.S.

Occam

Except for around Bakersfield apparently?

Posted: 05 September 2007 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Yes, it seems that in California, the farther one gets from the west coast, the more right-winged, religiously and politically, one gets.  It probably has to do with the high temperatures coagulating their brains. LOL

Occam

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

Alice Springs, that brings back both sadness and joy as that was where my oldest son Carl lived with his Chinese wife and three sons before he died in a plane crash with his wife and two of his sons. He lived in Alice Springs and commuted by airplane to southern Australia where he was a superintendent of a large mineral exploration company. He used to tell me all about Alice Springs and how fast the city was growing. Just before he was killed he was planning to bring me there to spend two weeks. I had been excited looking forward to going. In fact when I begun the Nibs misadventure series Alice Springs was included in “Nibs circles the Globe” where Nibs’ around the world balloon crashes on a cattle station near there.

Then a year ago a lady came to town from Alice Springs here on vacation and we spoke of the place for several minutes and I welcomed her to our town and told her how happy I was that she was from my favorite foreign destination.

Alice Springs brings back fond memories to me when my son and his family had happy times at Alice Springs. I hope you stay with us for a very long long time.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 06 September 2007 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-09-05

sbwright,

But you guys sent us Ken Ham! Thanks a lot!

Holey Goat,

What happened to the other child?

[ Edited: 06 September 2007 10:27 PM by WattaQuestion ]

Posted: 07 September 2007 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

Ken Ham, who is Ken Ham?

The third child went to live with his mother’s parents in China and is now grown and married to a Chinese wife and lives in China still although he was born in Australia and I believe still an Australian citizen as he was 8 when his father was killed. My son lived in Australia for well over ten years and loved it and was planning on staying for good. He described Alice Spring as one really nice city with really nice people and thought there was no better city on earth and he had traveled all over the world including Russia, China, Germany, England, Canada, New Zealand and Africa. He was born in Old Mexico but raised in the US until he was 18 then he returned to Mexico. He met his wife while in China on assignment there with his company on mineral exploration. She had worked in a market where he shopped. After he married her he took her back to Australia where all three sons were born. I think Carl Junior the oldest (and the survivor) was born in Wollongong but raised in Alice Springs. My son Carl never believed there was a god as he told me as a little boy that he thought God was a fairy tale. His wife never believed in God either. In fact he was the only atheist in my family for years until I became one. I have a daughter that is a Pentecostal Sunday School teacher and won’t have anything to do with me because she thinks I am processed by a demon and says all atheist are processed by demons is why they deny God.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 08 September 2007 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Hi and Welcome.

One of my sister’s lived in Australia (Townsville, Queenland) for a couple of years.  She liked it so much she wanted to stay, but ended up coming home anyway.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 17 September 2007 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-17

You wouldn’t per chance know a fellow named Joe McGuirk who is a builder/carpenter who lives and works in Alice Springs?
He used to be an assistant principal at the catholic school. His wife and my Fiance are sisters. Small world.
Fair Dinkum and Slainte

Posted: 17 September 2007 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

HG, Ken Ham is one of the leaders of promoting Intelligent Design.  He even started the Kentucky Creationist Museum.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 December 2007 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-01
SkeptiCelt - 17 September 2007 10:26 PM

You wouldn’t per chance know a fellow named Joe McGuirk who is a builder/carpenter who lives and works in Alice Springs?
He used to be an assistant principal at the catholic school. His wife and my Fiance are sisters. Small world.
Fair Dinkum and Slainte

Yes I do know of Joe - he taught my sister in highschool and I believe I have danced with your Fiance’s sister at the school ball.  Very small world.

Posted: 04 December 2007 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4728
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome to the CFI forums.

Yes, it is a small world. When I was in Mexico last week I met a couple who live one mile from my father in Kansas.

I’ve always wanted to visit Australia, but my wife’s company doesn’t have any offices there.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

1 of 2

‹‹ hello      Hi from ’the old world’ ››