Hi from ‘the old world’
Posted: 01 September 2007 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31

Hi all,

Yesterday I signed in for this forum, and now I already I am not sure where I found the link to CFI. I think it was CSI…

I studied Philosophy with subsidiary subject Physics in the Netherlands. Since I need some money to live, I learned a little bit databases too, now working as system administrator and programmer in Switzerland. I am married, have two boys (and two old dogs…).

My main interests still are Philosophy and Physics, but also Astronomy and Religion. My main daily discussion topics are trying to be understood by people who think they need to believe in some form of higher powers, and stubborn scientists, who think that what is true is always valuable, (they seem to adhere to theadagium ‘everything that is possible should be done’. ), without taking responsibility , and those who think what they know can immediately know everything about everybody and the whole universe, because some scientific hypothesis might be correct.

If I need a label, I call myself a ‘religious materialist’: my world view is physicalist, but I am convinced that we as humans need more than truth only. So I also practice Buddhist meditation (with an intensity of about one retreat a year).

I hope I can have a few interesting discussions here.

For those who took the initiative for this forum: thanks! I’ve read already a lot of interesting topics!

Gert

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 01 September 2007 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Glad to have you here, Gert. It’s been a long while since I visited Switzerland, but it’s a beautiful country. Enjoy the discussions!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 September 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Gert.  Jump right in and join the conversations.  smile  I’ve never been to Switzerland, myself, but it would be nice hearing a little about it too, if you don’t mind sharing.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 September 2007 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Your ideas sound interesting, Gert.  I hope you share some of them on the forums.

Occam

Posted: 03 July 2012 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

I updated my avatar. I wonder why I did not got this idea much earlier.

The man depicted is Eise Eisinga. He built what now is called the oldest still working orrery in the world. The trigger for him to build the Planetarium (as we call it in Dutch) is said to be a prediction of the end of the world due to a conjunction of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter. (Some doubt is mentioned in the Wikipedia article. Maybe he had already heard about this prediction before it was published?) So he was a debunker.

And then add to it that his father is an ancestor of me, it would have been the right choice from the beginning.

For some more information, see here, here, and here.

[ Edited: 04 July 2012 01:32 AM by GdB ]
 Signature 

GdB

Posted: 03 July 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4349
Joined  2010-08-15
GdB - 03 July 2012 10:45 PM

For some more information, see here, here, and here.

The highly gifted Eisinga was not allowed to attend the Latin School because he was expected to become a woolcomber like his father before him. All on his own, he immersed himself in the study of the principles of maths and astronomy. The fact that the Franeker Academy was close by suited him well.

Oh wow, a go-getter as we say over here.

Beautiful instrument

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 03 July 2012 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Very cool, GdB! In its previous incarnation, there was a big orrery in the basement of the Hayden Planetarium in NYC which I used to love to look at. With the rebuild in 2000, they got rid of it. Of course, the new Hayden is pretty amazing on its own (and with a pretty amazing director wink ) but unfortunately no orrery!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

BTW, from one of the mentioned Websites:

8may1774.gif
The sky over the Netherlands on Sunday, 8 May 1774.

Signature 

GdB